Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Put your 2009 Bird Pictures here!

hazelrunpack
January 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Chris thinks we're being chintzy with our bird pics....

Does anyone have any? :laughing: I know it's been extremely cold, uncomfortably so, for standing out by the feeder with a metal camera, waiting for the little darlings to cooperate. But someone must have some 2009 shots (Chris won't let me use the hawk shots from last Dec :rolleyes: She's so fussy :p)

Here are a couple from just a few days ago. It was so cold that the birds kept coming to the feeders even though I was standing right there--they needed the energy. Even though I was only out there for less than 10 minutes, I nearly froze to my camera :eek:

Not very impressive, I'm afraid. I'm hoping for warmer weather and better shots soon. :fingerscr

14+kitties
January 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I took a pic of a lonely little Mourning Dove sitting on my fence post this morn. Not very good because of the danged snowstorm we are having. Thought I saw a flash of red. Cardinals must be around.

Chris21711
January 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Finally - just a little push and a shove to get you guys away from you comfy chairs and get snapping :D

Frostbitten fingers is a minor detail when it comes to nature.......and keeping me happy :cool:

More Pleeeeease :crazy:

14+kitties
January 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Finally - just a little push and a shove to get you guys away from you comfy chairs and get snapping :D

Frostbitten fingers is a minor detail when it comes to nature.......and keeping me happy :cool:

More Pleeeeease :crazy:

(cough, cough) Did you forget a week or so ago I did put a couple of pics up with birdies trying to figure out what they were? Turns out they were Snow Buntings. And since then they have left the area. :sad:
We do have a pair of cardinals around. I saw the female at the feeder when I was over this morning. :thumbs up

Chris21711
January 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Yes woman I remember, but it was soooooo long ago, it is just a distant memory :laughing:

Up until a couple of weeks ago "I" had Cardinals coming out of the ying yang, but I think my next door neighbour finally started filling his feeders and I have not seen one for a few days :frustrated:

So did you snap a pic while she was at your feeder....huh..huh did ya?

14+kitties
January 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yes woman I remember, but it was soooooo long ago, it is just a distant memory :laughing:

Up until a couple of weeks ago "I" had Cardinals coming out of the ying yang, but I think my next door neighbour finally started filling his feeders and I have not seen one for a few days :frustrated:

So did you snap a pic while she was at your feeder....huh..huh did ya?

Ummm no. :o I had my hands full of the bucket of bird food and dog biscuits for my tenants GSD's. They wait for me to feed the birds and come down for their treat every day. I will keep on trying.

Melinda
January 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
for 15 years I have been using this feeder (besides others) and in all that time there has NEVER been a bird trapped inside it...this weekend there was
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0020.jpg

I released him, 20 minutes later..guess who's back?? *L* so now the side is removed off of it

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0023.jpg

sitting and watching me remove the side

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0028.jpg

and of course the falccon that I posted in another post last week

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/DSCF0224.jpg

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Melinda, the chickadee wasn't stuck in there--he was just tryin' to keep out of the wind! :p You should put the side back in and charge room rates :laughing:

chico2
January 28th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Chris,I have tons of birds,about 25 Pigeons every day,Cardinals,Chickadees,Blue Jays,Robins,Mourningdoves,Starlings,a milllion Sparrows etc...and of course my Crows(3)and Hawks come by here every day,but I have a lousy camera,cannot get close enough,to get a good pic:sad:
But I'll keep trying,promise:thumbs up

chico2
January 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Melinda,the pic of the Falcon looks great,whatever part of a ibird that sticks out through the snow is sad,but birds of prey have to eat.
I have a few some smaller and one really large Hawk,they are usually after my Pigeons and I hate to see them killed,but these magnificent birds have to survive.

browniesmom
January 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I took these when i just got my new camera. I'll take some more when he/she come's back.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/austinspics/138d5ecd.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/austinspics/69874c32.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/austinspics/8ec72ac5.jpg

Melinda
January 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Melinda,the pic of the Falcon looks great,whatever part of a ibird that sticks out through the snow is sad,but birds of prey have to eat.
I have a few some smaller and one really large Hawk,they are usually after my Pigeons and I hate to see them killed,but these magnificent birds have to survive.

thats a piece of wood chico, the only bit of bird is what the falcon is standing on....yes, its sad, but like you said, they have to eat...ewwwwwwww *L* I took pics of my crows gathering for you, I'll post them here tomorrow

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Nice blue jay, browniesmom! I can't get decent pics of ours--the dogs love to chase them and they all fly away the second they see the door begin to open! :laughing:

Melinda
January 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM
sorry they aren't too clear, they are soooo noisy during their meal *L* and comical, one will be on a branch and two others will land making them all fall off

coming in for a feeding

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0044.jpg

feeding

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0047.jpg

chico2
January 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
OMG,I have never seen so many Crows in one shot,I only have 3..any other Crow coming here gets chased away by them.
In the spring I'll hopefully see a couple of babies again.
I would love to see that many Crows together,I bet they make a racket.
What are thy feeding on?
I've never seen a Crow kill a live bird,other than nestlings.
Great shots:thumbs up

Chris21711
January 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Great pics guys, trying to stash them for yourselves...tut..tut. We have a lot of Crows but I haven't seen that many flying into one spot Melinda, they are not my favourite bird but deserve to live like the rest.

Keep em coming :thumbs up

Melinda
January 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
*hoping I spell this right* they are feasting on the fuzzy cones of the sumak? shumak? tree's, same as what the deer eat, we also put out cracked corn for them, I like the crows, they clean up everything!! *L* usually there are a good 100-200 out there feeding and yep, very noisy, I had to take the pics through the glass because they are only about 8 feet from the window and any noise sends them off in a flurry....but they will return within minutes, you can almost set your clock by them.

Chris21711
January 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
*hoping I spell this right* they are feasting on the fuzzy cones of the sumak? shumak? tree's, same as what the deer eat, we also put out cracked corn for them, I like the crows, they clean up everything!! *L* usually there are a good 100-200 out there feeding and yep, very noisy, I had to take the pics through the glass because they are only about 8 feet from the window and any noise sends them off in a flurry....but they will return within minutes, you can almost set your clock by them.

I believe it is "Sumac" Melinda, I often see the Crows in the yard going at the marrow bones that still have marrow left in them, but nowhere the near the number in your pic.

Melinda
January 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
thanks for the spelling Chris! the good thing about the crows eating the "cones" is that they are very sloppy eaters and lose more than they eat, which puts the leftovers where the deer can get them.

SIL
January 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Came back from picking my son up at school and found this little visitor on my front porch....he/she is pretty cute :)

Winston
January 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Melinda that falcon is gorgeous! Not sure where you are in Ontario but have you ever seen any bands on that falcon? If so the Canadian Peregrine Foundation would love to hear from you so that they may be able to identify it from the numbers and colors of band? I LOVE falcons! they are amazing birds. I have lots of those pics! I saw our resident female today sititng on her favorite spot the CIBC sign downtown! :thumbs up

chico2
January 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
SIL,I have anywhere from 25-35 Pigeons every day,some are very beautiful,I love the all white ones,they look like angels:angel2:
We buy huge bags of whole corn for them+they clean up all the leftover birdseeds.
Everybody probably already saw my Pigeons,but I'll add a pic.

I've been feeding my Crows dinner-leftovers for many years,they too are here like clock-work,smart birds:thumbs up

Winston,I had a huge Hawk here today,when he flew off,his underside including the wings,was all white,I almost thought he was an owl.
We have about 3 different kinds coming here in the winter,unfortunately some of my Pigeons are the victims.
So,the cycle continues in Hamilton,that's great.

Melinda
January 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Melinda that falcon is gorgeous! Not sure where you are in Ontario but have you ever seen any bands on that falcon? If so the Canadian Peregrine Foundation would love to hear from you so that they may be able to identify it from the numbers and colors of band? I LOVE falcons! they are amazing birds. I have lots of those pics! I saw our resident female today sititng on her favorite spot the CIBC sign downtown! :thumbs up

the ministry knows its here, we have quite a few around Cornwall (where I live) but usually they aren't this close when eating their meal, we watch them dive into the fields and carry their kill off. I chased it off last year for coming after my squirrels, and I've never seen a band on any of them.

chico2
January 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Melinda,I did not know you are rehabbing wild-life:thumbs up
That's great to know,if I ever have any questions.
I really started feeding my Squirrels when one day many years ago I had a Squirrel who was wounded.
She had a front-leg hanging by a thread,which eventually fell off.
She was an amazing little animal,stayed around here,had 2 litters .
There were others with different injuries,not that I could bandage them up or anything:laughing:but easy food helped them survive.
If any animal is seriously wounded,beyond help,our HS will help out.

I have yet to see a Hawk get a Squirrel(I hope not),when the Hawks are sitting in the tree,the Squirrels freeze in place,don't move,but I've seen brave(stupid:confused:) Squirrels go for the Hawks trying to scare them away.

browniesmom
January 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Here is New york You would never feed pigeons lol

Winston
January 30th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Melinda thats great! I am a falcon lover and a volunteer falcon watcher in Hamilton so if you get any more pics of him/her (looks like a him based on size) let me know Iwould love to see them!

Cindy

Chico Hawk pics please! :D

Chris21711
January 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Here is New york You would never feed pigeons lol

Why not because there are too many. They say that there are too many of this that and the other then anniliate them and then there are none.

In London England for ever there was a rampant population of pigeons in Trafalgar Square, it was a big, big tourist attraction, they sold feed to feed them. One could literally stand there and have twenty pigeons sitting on you. Then some bright Mayor of the City decided "No more Pigeons in Trafalgar Square", there goes another tourist attraction :sad:

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Pigeons (rock doves) aren't native to north america, Chris. They're considered pests because of the high numbers and the germy mess they leave in the cities. Sort of like flying rats in some places :p

I always liked seeing them in the city, though--one of the few species we had in the city limits. :shrug:

chico2
January 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Winston,unfortunately I have to take the pics from inside and my camera is just not good enough,
The one I had who was feeding with the Crows,was the closest I've ever gotten.

Chris21711
February 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Pigeons (rock doves) aren't native to north america, Chris. They're considered pests because of the high numbers and the germy mess they leave in the cities. Sort of like flying rats in some places :p

I know Hazel, but they are little birdies nonetheless. I have just started mixing some feed that includes corn in with the better seed that I am buying (trying to cut the cost a bit) and this week I have been having pigeons come to my yard......made me happy.

I always liked seeing them in the city, though--one of the few species we had in the city limits. :shrug:

47744 Tweet, tweet

Winston
February 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM
Chris21711 we have soo many pidgeons in Hamilton!! Even with falcons roosting amongst them! But I have never in my life seen so many deformed ones. It is very strange...some are missing feet, wings, some have the huge growths around their beeks and eyes?? I often see them while waiting for the bus and it is really sad. We also have some beautiful colored ones! We are not supposed to feed them but I sneak them a treat once in awhile. The only bad part is if you bring them a treat its not very sneaky cause as soon as you drop it about 50 of them will fly over to you so your automatically guilty!! :D

Lukka'sma
February 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I go to the bulk store and buy a mix of pine nuts, walnuts, peanuts, black oil sunflower seeds pumpkin seeds and just whatever I see that I think the birds might like, some dried fruit like blueberries (so expensive) and dried cherries
the chickadee comes in for a taste
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/Mishkaanddaddy004.jpg

the junco comes in for a try
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/Mishkaanddaddy007.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/Mishkaanddaddy008.jpg

being such a woodpecker fan I take suet out and have hubby climb up and wedge it into a tree for me.http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/dreculsi1.gif
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/Mishkaanddaddy001.jpg

I have tried hard to get pics of the red-bellied woodpecker who has been teasing me at this conservation area for two years now, but he is so not into being photographed. Here is a lousy shot of him, I posted it in another thread a while ago
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/redbelliedwoodpeckerandnuthatch024.jpg

Hazel I would do anything to see a pileated, never have yet, and will take another trip to the Smoky's in April. The park is full of them so maybe this year I will get lucky enough. Also I am after the scarlet tanager, have not seen one of those yet either.
We get flocks of cedar waxwings here and I will post some of those when the weather is warmer.

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hazel I would do anything to see a pileated, never have yet, and will take another trip to the Smoky's in April. The park is full of them so maybe this year I will get lucky enough. Also I am after the scarlet tanager, have not seen one of those yet either.
We get flocks of cedar waxwings here and I will post some of those when the weather is warmer.

Anything? :o We have pileateds around here all year round...and scarlet tanagers in spring and summer... When can you get here? :p I'd love to stea....um....the Pack would love to meet Mishka, so just bring her on along, k? :dog: :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Oh, I got so excited about your upcoming trip, I forgot to compliment you on the cool photos! :cloud9:

chico2
February 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Lukkas mom,great pics,I just LOVE all birds,it is expensive to feed them though,between birdsseds,whole corn,suet and peanuts for the Squirrels+all the cat-food,we'll be living on Mac and Cheese:yuck: pretty soon,but it's well worth it:thumbs up
What trip is this i am hearing about,does that mean someone gets to meet Mishka??

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Nah, Chico. I was just teasin' Lukka'sma...she wants to see Pileated Woodpeckers and Scarlet Tanagers...and we have both. :D

chico2
February 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
OH,ok...cause I would have been jealous had anybody gotten to see Mishka and not me:laughing:
I wishyou did not live so far away,I'd love to see all your Hummers and the pups of course,well,you too:laughing:
We might make a trip to Mintreal this summer,hopefully meet some people from the Forum.
I loved Montreal when we visited once..

Chris21711
February 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Great pics Lukkas'ma, compared to the crummy ones I take, shame on me.:frustrated:

Winston - The pigeons that I see are from the barn north of us and the school belfry to the south.....country bumpkins :laughing: So sad to see them hurt :sad: Why are you not suppose to feed them?

chico2
February 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Chris,in the city I think there is a concern about their poop and the mess.
My group I get every day are the opposite,they clean up all the leftover seeds on the ground,we used to have a foot high with left-overs although we buy very good seeds.

I think they are beautiful,their cooing is a really nice sound and they have so many different colours.
I might be a little off the wall,but "my"critters are like a family,with the Crows keeping watch,warning everybody in case of a Hawk attack:laughing:

I am sorry to hear about the wounded Pigeons,maybe it is because of all the obstacles in the city??
When they get alarmed,they tend to fly off without looking where they're going.
I had one fly i to my deck-railing,but luckily he was fine.

Chris21711
February 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Funny you should say about them being considered "Pests" Chico, I think you read the T. Star, did you see the photo yesterday saying that they were considered pests and that spikes are put on window wells to stop them from roosting etc., :sad::loser:

chico2
February 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Yes Chris,I read the Star every morning,did not see anything about Pigeons though and I would have read it.
The Star comes in different editions though,what I get in the burbs they don't get in Toronto.
Hubby worked for the Star for many yrs,now retired.

That is a horrible thing to do to birds,I would have written the editor for sure:evil:

chico2
February 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Here are a couple of crappy pics of some of my Pigeons,they were all sitting so nicely in the tree,then they decided to fly off,when I took the pic...on the the wire,OMG,they are jumpy:laughing:

chico2
February 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
OOOPs,that one got really big...oh well!

krdahmer
February 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I just looooove Chico's pigeons!!! We hardly have any here! I get mostly squirells(I never know if it's 2-l's or 2-r's...:rolleyes:), smaller birds, jays, and tons of mourning doves and finches! I put out good shelled and unshelled peanuts, premium bird feed, and nyjer seed (the doves loooove the nyjer seed too, I even caught a couple teetering on the long feeder to get at it). I sometimes get the suet things for my suet basket too, but not always. Here are some of my visitors... I counted today and there were 12 finches on that sock at one point!!!:eek:

krdahmer
February 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Chico's pigeons from the summer (I loved how the white one was in the center of all the others) and more of my doves...

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I love your doves, kr. :lovestruck:

We're seeing relatively few of those for some reason this winter...don't know why.

We are seeing huge flocks of finches, redpolls and siskins, though--had about 300 of them under the feeders yesterday, but I can't get any decent pics :frustrated: I definitely need a zoom or a telephoto lens. :o

chico2
February 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Aww Dahmer,we love our Pigeons too,we sometimes have as many as 40,we call them our chickens,because of the way they eat.
They come in so many different colors,some are really beautiful.
I also have tons of mourning-doves,at dusk,they will all be around my bird-bath(heated)as if they are having a conference.
They seem to be sleeping in my big tree,totally unprotected.
I too have a Niger-seed feeder,but seldom get more than a couple of Finches,love the sock-feeder,I have the metal-one.
They are beautiful birdies.
I remember one year,we kept an eye on a Mourning-Doves nest,they build almost in the open:yell:
I'll see if I can find the pic,there is mom and dad and one baby in the middle...sooo cute
There is also one of a pretty Pigeon,these pics were taken before I had my Digi-cam.

krdahmer
February 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Aw a baby dove!! I don't see any nests around here for the doves ( I suspect these ones are in the big pine the neighbours have in their front yard as I hear them rustling and cooing in it at dusk in the summer), but then I haven't really looked, I keep an eye on one of the squirrel nests though ever since that darn hawk was parked right on top of it (I know it's nature and all but I went out and threw twigs at him to scare him off.... I don't think parking himself on top of their nest is fair!)

Jim Hall
February 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM
lol pigieons live in a northeast city that and sparrows by the buketfull

I will ship pigions to anyone i will pay the postage any color any size have city attidute too

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Some redpolls from this morning. It was about -30 C with the windchill, but I sacrificed my fanny and my fingers just for you, Chris... :thumbs up

That little rosy guy to the left in the last two pics was so beautiful! :flirt: Unfortunately, with so much else to focus on, I couldn't manage to get him perfectly in focus. :frustrated: Oh, well.... :o

I had to creep up within about 10 feet to get this pics with my little 3x zoom digital...took me the better part of a frigid hour. I'm just now beginning to feel my right thumb and index fingertip again :eek:

:p

The things we do for our friends, eh? :rolleyes: :laughing:

Chris21711
March 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
That little rosy guy sure is a cutie, also the one in the forefront on the right that is so busy eating.

You are truly an :angel: Hazel, I appreciate it immensely, every day I check to see if some kind 'friend' has posted some. I hope fanny will recover to do the same tomorrow :laughing:

Thanks Hazel, you rock :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm sitting on my fanny on a warm chair now, so it recovered quite quickly! :laughing:

These are still winter birds. I'm hoping as Spring approaches, I'll be able to take advantage of some warmer weather to catch some spring action. :D

Chris21711
March 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM
You get Redpolls in winter? Whenever I have seen them, I take it as a sign of Spring. Did you get Redwing Blackbirds yet?

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Nope...no migratory blackbirds of any variety, and although I watched for them Monday on my way into town through farm country, no robins or bluebirds yet, either! :shrug: I have a road maintenance class in town on St Paddy's Day--I'm hoping to see some migrants then! :thumbs up

The redpolls and siskins are only irruptive here--we rarely see them except as winter flocks that are displaced south due to scarcity of food. :shrug:

Chris21711
March 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Nope...no migratory blackbirds of any variety, and although I watched for them Monday on my way into town through farm country, no robins or bluebirds yet, either! :shrug: I have a road maintenance class in town on St Paddy's Day--I'm hoping to see some migrants then! :thumbs up

Don't forget to take your camera with you then. Ethel saw "1" Robin in town yesterday

The redpolls and siskins are only irruptive here--we rarely see them except as winter flocks that are displaced south due to scarcity of food. :shrug:

Really when you think about it why bother going south, when they can hang with you and eat all they want :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'll try to remember to take the old 35 mm manual--it's got a longer zoom on it. Pics from the car won't show much, if anything, with the 3x digital. If I get any pics with the SLR, though, it'll take a few weeks for me to get the pics developed and scanned. :o so don't hold your breath or doing anything else drastic. :p

Chris21711
March 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM
, it'll take a few weeks for me to get the pics developed and scanned. :o

:frustrated:

so don't hold your breath or doing anything else drastic. :p

Where is Frenchy's hanging smiley :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
:eek:

:laughing:

If I can shoot enough frames from the car, I'll be able to turn in the film for processing in town after class. That'll make it faster... :thumbs up

Of course, first I have to get some pics :D That might not happen :o

chico2
March 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Chris,Hazel,I have red-wing blackbirds and blackbirds ,I was sooo excited when I saw them,no pics though:sad:I also saw some Siskins,did not know what they were until I checked my birdbook.
I also have lots of Robins:thumbs up
I have no idea what red-polls are,they look like House-Finches,but probably bigger..

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Actually, they're smaller than house finches, chico. About the size of the siskins and goldfinches.

Wow, if you guys are already seeing robins and blackbirds, they must be passing through here, too. It always takes them a while to find us out here in the woods, though. :o

chico2
March 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM
OH,they look bigger and chubby,but I suppose they are fluffing their feathers to stay warm and there is nothing to compare with in the pic.
Great pics though,now I got to check my bird-book:laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Yep, they were definitely fluffed against the cold! So was hazel! :laughing:

I had another pic from further away that showed a goldfinch coming in to land in the flock--goldfinches might actually be just a smidge bigger in overall length than a redpoll. Regardless, all those little birds are just so cute :flirt: I love watching them from the living room french door :cloud9:

Chris21711
March 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I also have lots of Robins:thumbs up

MAAACK - lots of Robins, soooooo, that's why I have none :frustrated:

Actually, they're smaller than house finches, chico. About the size of the siskins and goldfinches.

Wow, if you guys are already seeing robins and blackbirds, they must be passing through here, too. It always takes them a while to find us out here in the woods, though. :o

They're scared of madame Hazel :D

hazelrunpack
March 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
They're not the only ones scared o' madame hazel! :eek:

chico2
March 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Chris:laughing::laughing:madame Hazel must be really scary:laughing:or maybe it's those 8 four-legged family-members:dog:
But I think she'll beat everyone when the Hummers are back,I don't get ANY:cry:

Chris21711
March 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Chris:laughing::laughing:madame Hazel must be really scary:laughing:or maybe it's those 8 four-legged family-members:dog:
But I think she'll beat everyone when the Hummers are back,I don't get ANY:cry:

The pack is not scary Chico, they are scared of madame Hazel too, everyone is :eek:

We get Hummingbirds, remember I posted a photo of one that I clipped off of a branch. Not anywhere near the amount that Hazel gets though.

Saw some Cowbirds this morning.....it's a sign :clown:

chico2
March 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
We have no cow-birds yet,but they'll come..
I love the singing of the Robins in the spring,we've been outside these past two days and singing Robins and sunshine is bliss:laughing:
My Sparrows are rebuilding in my bird-houses,those little guys work so hard,we help them out by leaving stuff outside.
The Squirrels too are busy,picking up whatever they can find for their nests.:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The geese are coming back now--lots of skeins overhead today already. Goose music. :D

Bina
March 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
This pic is from a couple of months ago....but I wanted to share it.
Hubby (Masta?);) is a very good photographer....A Hairy Woodpecker and a Chickadee in flight.

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Oh, cool!! The woodpecker looks coooollddd!! :D

Our hairy woodpeckers are pretty flighty--the downy woodpeckers let us get fairly close, the but the hairies always flush the minute they see us. :o

CarolynInPEI
March 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hey, I just found this thread and think its very interesting. I'm a birder and love looking at pictures taken by other birders. I haven't taken too many pictures since 2009 started but I will post a few of a chickadee that comes to the feeder.

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I think you must've posted these during my late April computer crash, CarolynInPEI! I love chickadees :flirt: Can't believe I missed these till now!

And Chris--I was just outside to take a pic of the dogs when I heard this little guy arrive at the feeder next to me. :D I thought of you....specially since you hound me unmercifully for pics of these guys :p

He's a little blurry, but remember, he's been migrating and is feeling a little light-headed and in need of sustenance, so that explains his fuzziness :o

chico2
May 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Carolyn,love the Chickadees,so cute:lovestruck:I have 3 different feeders,with different seeds and love all my birds,just sitting in the backyard watching them,is better than a movie:laughing:

Hazel,the Hummers are back at your house,sooo pretty.
What do you use to fill the feeder,do you make your own?
I've had a few Gold-Finches returning,together with all the others.

I just discovered we have a Cardinals nest in one of our cedars,Robins-nest in the Blue Spruce and of course Sparrows in the bird-houses,OMG I love spring:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I make my own, chico--1 part sugar to 3 parts water for the first couple of weeks, then 1 part sugar to 4 parts water for the rest of the summer. Generally, I boil up double batches. At the height of the migration in fall, I'll always have one batch on the burner, one cooling in the fridge and another in the fridge ready to use--and can barely keep up with the little guys! :laughing:

chico2
May 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Thank's Hazel,I'll do that too.
I've heard if you put out the feeder early in the spring,they might come and stay,I would love to have some Hummers.
Sometimes I get the odd one in my flowers,they are just so very pretty:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I put feeders out for 18 years when we lived in Eau Claire. Saw just a couple of hummers that whole time--never at the feeders :rolleyes: Moved here, saw one flit through the yard the first spring we were here, put out the feeder and ended up having to buy 3 more to keep up with the crowd :cloud9: More come every year :thumbs up

When I boil up the nectar, I keep it at a light rolling boil for 5 minutes. Seems to make it last longer--probably because it kills all the bacteria. 'course...after our 'regulars' all come back, the nectar doesn't last long enough to go bad... :o

chico2
May 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hazel,I don't think I'll see more than the odd one,but even that will be nice.
You live out in the country,right?
We have houses all around us,maybe that's why we don't see too many Hummers..

CarolynInPEI
May 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Here is a picture of a Summer Tanager that was spotted at someone's feeder here on PEI. This is a rare sighting for PEI. It was great to see. A Lifer for me. It was at someone's feeder...about a half hour drive from my house. It's a beautiful bird!!

Chris21711
May 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I think you must've posted these during my late April computer crash, CarolynInPEI! I love chickadees :flirt: Can't believe I missed these till now!

I missed it too, my comp didn't crash....how did I miss it

And Chris--I was just outside to take a pic of the dogs when I heard this little guy arrive at the feeder next to me. :D I thought of you....specially since you hound me unmercifully for pics of these guys :p

If I didn't hound you, you would never get your butt in gear :laughing:

Love the Tanager Carolyn, I have never seen one :sad:

Lukka'sma
May 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Nice pic of the tanager
My friend and I are heading to Rondeau Park this coming weekend to see the Prothonotary Warblers. My sister saw some there three days ago, migration is in full swing at Pelee and area now.:thumbs up
Of course me being a woodpecker lover I will also have my ears and eyes open for the Red Bellied and Pileated.

Lukka'sma
May 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Chris21711, I love that avatar you use. No matter what kind of mood I am in, when I cruise this board and see your avatar it makes me feel happy.:)

chico2
May 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Chris,I do too,it's soo cute:laughing:
I really love ALL birds and my Crows are really my favorites next to the Robins.
Here they are,I think mama is laying on eggs and papa and one of last years babies bring her food.
They really let me know when they want food:laughing:
The Black-Birds(Gracklers) and the Blue-Jays are really going after the Crows,so they don't raid their nest.

Chris21711
May 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Chris21711, I love that avatar you use. No matter what kind of mood I am in, when I cruise this board and see your avatar it makes me feel happy.:)

Lukka'sma and Chico.....why thankyou, thankyou very much said in my best Elvis voice :laughing: I like him too, he is so cute.

Chico - They are just Grackles not Gracklers :o

Chris21711
May 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I have some pics of a Pileated, but for some reason I can't attach them, I'll try again tomorrow :crazy:

chico2
May 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Chris:laughing:they sound like Gracklers or Cracklers to me:laughing:
I like them too,especially their mating-rituals,every bird we have are putting on a great show for us,Pigeons are cooing and dancing,Morning-doves the same and we have a Robins-nest in the Blue Spruce,a Cardinals-nest in the Cedar-Hedge,I LOVE spring:lovestruck:

pbpatti
May 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
aakkk, I just found this thread, I am a bird lover too, this past Sat I was at my Mom's and overhead came several hundred herons flying north, amazing, hopefully I will be able to get out and get some pictures to add to this thread. I love the Tanager what a beautiful color, I have not seen one before. pbp

hazelrunpack
May 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
We don't get the summer tanagers around here, but we get scarlet tanagers. We had at least 3 nesting pairs within earshot of the house last year :cloud9: I don't have a long enough lens to get a decent picture, though :sad:

CarolynInPEI
May 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Ya, the tanager was a beauty. I probably won't get to see another around here again. It was nice to get the chance to see it. I would love to see a Scarlet Tanager!! We don't have them either, but every so often one lands here by mistake while migrating. I think there may have been one here last year.

On PEI there is a e-mail list for PEI Birders and every time someone sees any kind of bird, they report it and let everyone know. It's great. When ever there is an interesting bird around everyone knows about it and gets the chance to go find it.

I would love to see some pictures of the Pileated Woodpeckers, I have never seen one of them. We don't officially have them, but there seems to be more and more sightings of them on the Island.....I have yet to find one, but I will find one:fingerscr.

Also, Crows are my favorite bird as well:thumbs up.

Lukka'sma
May 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Darn things fly away when you get with in a good range of them:laughing: so hard to get a good pic, but here we go
Mr. RWBB
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB059.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB068.jpg

Mrs. RWBB not too happy with me walking in this marsh area. I didn't see their nest but both husband and wife were trying hard to get me out of there, I left quickly so they didn't get too disturbed.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB069.jpg

both hubby and wife watching me
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB029.jpg

Eastern Bluebird with a yummy snack
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB046.jpg

Lukka'sma
May 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Blue birds continued
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB070.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB057.jpg

some yellow for contrast:D
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB062.jpg

Orioles to finish off
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB067.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB064.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/RWBBOriolesBlueB063.jpg

hazelrunpack
May 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
They maybe tried not to be cooperative, Lukka'sma, but you got some stunning shots!! That bluebird in flight, for instance :thumbs up

I wish my binoculars could take pics--the cape may warblers were in the spruce this afternoon :cloud9:

chico2
May 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Lukkasmom,you are soo lucky,I have never seen a Blue-Bird,at odd times we have Orioles passing through.
RWBB I have plenty of,as well as Gold-Finches..
Beautiful pics,you must have a really good camera:thumbs up

Lukka'sma
May 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
They maybe tried not to be cooperative, Lukka'sma, but you got some stunning shots!! That bluebird in flight, for instance :thumbs up

I wish my binoculars could take pics--the cape may warblers were in the spruce this afternoon :cloud9:
Oh how beautiful, I haven't seen one. Lukkasmom,you are soo lucky,I have never seen a Blue-Bird,at odd times we have Orioles passing through.
RWBB I have plenty of,as well as Gold-Finches..
Beautiful pics,you must have a really good camera:thumbs upMy first sighting of a Blue Bird was yesterday as a matter of fact:laughing:. The nesting boxes that were put in the field for the blue birds usually get used by the tree swallows, but they are beautiful too IMO. This is the first year that the blue birds have gotten there first:D

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2009, 09:19 AM
We've had a pair of bluebirds defending a box from tree swallows...they seem to have deterred them...so now the great-crested flycatchers and the tree swallows are duking it out over some other nest site. Makes for some fascinating aerial battles! :D

Lukka'sma
May 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Indigo Bunting
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds013.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds012.jpg

Blue Jay
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds009.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds008.jpg

Chickadee
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds006.jpg

Hazel I need your help with this one, I'm thinking Pine Warbler, but not sure
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds004.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds003.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds002.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds015.jpg

chico2
May 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Lukkasmom,those pics are just beautiful,wish I had your camera.
I have never seen an Indigo Bunting,he's stunning.
We have birds like the other pic,I think it's a Warbler,what kind of Warbler I don't know,at least what I can gather from my Bird-Book.

Today I saw,an Oriole in all his glory and a Common Flicker,the Flicker was sitting on my pool-railing,I got really excited,but don't have a camera good enough to take pics from that far.:sad:

Lukka'sma
May 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Lukkasmom,those pics are just beautiful,wish I had your camera.
I have never seen an Indigo Bunting,he's stunning.
We have birds like the other pic,I think it's a Warbler,what kind of Warbler I don't know,at least what I can gather from my Bird-Book.

Today I saw,an Oriole in all his glory and a Common Flicker,the Flicker was sitting on my pool-railing,I got really excited,but don't have a camera good enough to take pics from that far.:sad:
Thanks chico, I agree that the bunting is beautiful, I love them. I took that pic at a full 300mm and even then I had to crop and zoom to full capacity when reviewing it on my camera. He was quite a distance away.:laughing:
Yesterday I went birding at Rondeau Park and let me tell you migration was at a peak. I saw so many wablers it was incredible. My favs were the Blackburnian male, Black and White male, Chestnut-sided male and the Black throated Green male. It was a fantastic time, the Rose breasted Grosbeaks were within touching range, of course I didn't take a camera with me, I only take binoculars when I go on a big birding outing. All that photography stuff gets in the way and too much to carry with me. If you ever get a chance to go to Pelee or Rondeau in the second and third weeks of May you will be in birders heaven:D

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
omd, the shot of the chickadee with the light shining through the wing! :cloud9: That's just, well, spectacular!!!! :eek: That's the one I'd have framed for my wall :thumbs up

I have to agree with your ID on the warbler--fems can sometimes be tricky, but it does look like a female pine warbler. :thumbs up Nice catch! I hear them all the time, but unless I'm playing a tape that has a pine warbler on it, I rarely see them. One of the tapes I used when I censused cerulean warblers evidently had a pine warbler calling on it--I had three pine warblers come out of the trees at one point and object vehemently to the pine warbler I had in my boom box :laughing: An unintended consequence, but I did enjoy the close look at the little darlin's. :D

Thanks for sharing!! :cloud9: And keep them coming, please!!!!

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
All that photography stuff gets in the way and too much to carry with me.

I don't care!!! New rule--YOU MUST HAVE CAMERA HANDY AT ALL TIMES!!!! :frustrated:

:laughing: Just kiddin' ya... :p

I hear ya, though...I used to carry my manual SLR with a zoom lens on it...by the time I got home, I could barely straighten up! :o

If you ever get a chance to go to Pelee or Rondeau in the second and third weeks of May you will be in birders heaven:D

Pelee is already there...I've never heard of Rondeau, but I'll have to add it to my wish list :D

Lukka'sma
May 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Rondeau Park is just a hop skip and jump from Pelee. Great birding

Lukka'sma
May 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
omd, the shot of the chickadee with the light shining through the wing! :cloud9: That's just, well, spectacular!!!! :eek: That's the one I'd have framed for my wall :thumbs up

I have to agree with your ID on the warbler--fems can sometimes be tricky, but it does look like a female pine warbler. :thumbs up Nice catch! I hear them all the time, but unless I'm playing a tape that has a pine warbler on it, I rarely see them. One of the tapes I used when I censused cerulean warblers evidently had a pine warbler calling on it--I had three pine warblers come out of the trees at one point and object vehemently to the pine warbler I had in my boom box :laughing: An unintended consequence, but I did enjoy the close look at the little darlin's. :D

Thanks for sharing!! :cloud9: And keep them coming, please!!!!
What a gorgeous bird that is:)

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately, declining precipitously across their range. :sad: Or at least they were in the late 90s when I was looking for them. Turns out, though, that there are a fair number of ceruleans nesting in the Clark and Eau Claire County Forests near here. Clark, EC, and Jackson Counties have contiguous county forests, with lots of closed canopy, which is where the ceruleans apparently prefer to nest. :thumbs up

jessi76
May 18th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Love the bird pics!

This is Gladys, our shed dove. Photo taken last weekend. She's already had her babies, I think 2. I didn't want to disturb her too much, but I did see a fledgling poking his/her head out the other day. She nested in our little shed, under the roof, on the rafters. Thankfully the shed is inside our dog pen area, so it's a VERY safe place. no cats or such can get inside the fence (and if they did, Tucker would make sure they didn't come back). Flying lessons should happen soon, we'll keep Tucker out of there if we see any lessons going on.

Lukka'sma
May 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Gladys is a very pretty girl. She has a great place to bring up her young until they are ready to start out on their own.

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Gladys the Dove. :cloud9: She looks very secure under there! And her name suits her :D

She's lucky to have Tucker as a body guard. :thumbs up

We had a squirrel try to nest in our shed but we had to chase her out before she had a chance to have her babies cuz the dogs have access to the shed...the Pack and Pesky Squirrels...not a good combination :o The good news is that she moved to a cavity in the oak outside the fence and I think she's got babies! :thumbs up safely away from the dogs! :goodvibes:

jessi76
May 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
lol, yeah, Gladys had BETTER raise those babies! 2 yrs or so ago we found 2 baby doves on the ground, barely alive. I nursed them back as best I could (I even toted them to work with me, in a basket, with a heating pad, so I could feed them around the clock). It took me a few days to finally get someone to agree to take them, I ended up bringing them to a wildlife animal hospital, and making a $50 "donation". (in reality, it was more like ok, here's 50 bucks, please take these birds, lol) the birds were cared for, raised, and eventually released.

of course, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'd much rather Gladys take care of her babies. I wasn't a very good bird mama.

chico2
May 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Jesse,Gladys is beautiful,there is something peaceful and angelic about Doves,we have only Morning-Doves and lots of them,but I love them too.
One year I had a Ringed Turtle Dove,loved her,but I don't think she survived.
Here she is,but you can hardly see her.

Lukka'sma
May 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
She is pretty chico
Well todays bird adventure had me trudging through some pretty thick wooded areas to get to the bird voices. I followed a Scarlet Tanager into the woods and shot it from such a far distance away that it hardly shows on my camera, through the binoculars he was stunning though.
I won't even bother posting the ST since it isn't very clear.

Lukka'sma
May 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Well actually none are very clear they were all shot from a distance with the exception of the rose breasted grosbeak.

chico2
May 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
OOOH,AAAH,just beautiful:thumbs up
Where is Rondeau Park,where is Pelee,got to look it up!

Lukka'sma
May 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
OOOH,AAAH,just beautiful:thumbs up
Where is Rondeau Park,where is Pelee,got to look it up!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:the pics I posted today were all taken about 10 minutes drive from my house at Fanshawe Park where I walk Mishka.

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
More nice pics! Aren't the orioles beautiful this year? Is that last one the mama tanager, Lukka'sma? Hard to tell without seeing the beak. :o

I saw a male scarlet tanager fly out of the front spruce into the oaks! I've never seen one that low in the yard--typically they use the tops of the oaks as singing stages and nest in the woods around us...could this one possibly be nesting out front? :fingerscr I hope so--I'd love to watch them nest!!!! :goodvibes:

Lukka'sma
May 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
More nice pics! Aren't the orioles beautiful this year? Is that last one the mama tanager, Lukka'sma? Hard to tell without seeing the beak. :o
I saw a male scarlet tanager fly out of the front spruce into the oaks! I've never seen one that low in the yard--typically they use the tops of the oaks as singing stages and nest in the woods around us...could this one possibly be nesting out front? :fingerscr I hope so--I'd love to watch them nest!!!! :goodvibes:

I'm not too sure hazel, like most birds I want pics of she took off before I could really got a look at her.:laughing:
same with that oriole, and look how the red bellied woodpecker is trying to make itself as flat as possible even though it was about as high in the trees as it could get:frustrated: sure wasn't in the mood to be photographed.
I am so jealous if you have scarlet tanagers nesting near by, saw my first one today (male) wow he was magnificent.

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The male tanagers are just so....bright! Breathtakingly so! :flirt: I never tire of looking at them, but I usually just hear them singing up in the oaks and never spot them...at least not once the trees leaf out. :o

Last year there were at least three nesting pairs between here and the lake about a mile away. I'd walk down the road and see them flying over. :cloud9:

Lukka'sma
May 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I had the red bellied woodpecker following me this morning while I walked Mishka in my special birding area. I took with me a recording of some bird songs. The r-b w
was going from tree to tree all around me trying to find the intruder. I played the scarlet tanager song several times and I might have heard a reply but couldn't go deep into the woods like I would if I were alone, too much ground cover and crap for Mishka to have to climb through. On the weekend I will venture out without her and see what I can find.

Chris21711
May 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Great pics Lukkas'ma, I so envy you seeing all these different birds. I'm going to have to start going out into the woods a bit hopefully then I will get to see some stunners.

hazelrunpack
May 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Chris, come visit hazel. :D We'll sit out on the deck, sip our lattes and watch the birds go by! :thumbs up Easier than walking through the woods and battling the mosquitoes. :p

BeagleMum
May 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Ok, these are some older pics I took that some of you may have seen but I thought that I would post them anyway.

BeagleMum
May 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
And one more

Chris21711
May 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Chris, come visit hazel. :D We'll sit out on the deck, sip our lattes and watch the birds go by! :thumbs up Easier than walking through the woods and battling the mosquitoes. :p

Sounds like a deal Hazel.....I'm going to win the $49 million tonight, so expect me next week some time...and no you won't have to pick me up at the airport, I'll be there in my chauffeur driven RV :laughing:

BeagleMum - I'm having difficulty in recognizing the first birdie :confused:

lor
May 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
If I may join in here are a few I've taken recently with my new camera:

Snow geese:

lor
May 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
At the feeder (in sephia tone)

BeagleMum
May 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Ya, I had no idea either, looked like an alien to me. I think Melinda told me it was a baby cardinal but I can't remember now. They apparently turn more red when they grow or something. This little guy was on the ground in the bushes and you could hear his mom going nuts when I got near him. I just took some pics and left him alone. When I went back to check on him a bit later he was gone so I assume he learned how to fly or something.

TeriM
May 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Wow, there are some stunning pictures here :cloud9:. Lukka's mom, those shots you took are amazing :lovestruck:.

A few birds from this past weekend of camping :).

chico2
May 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Beautiful,Terri:thumbs up
Love the Eagle,I saw my first one in South Carolina,but I've heard we have them here too.

lor
May 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Here are two pictures of the cardinal that visits my yard everyday:

hazelrunpack
May 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds like a deal Hazel.....I'm going to win the $49 million tonight, so expect me next week some time...and no you won't have to pick me up at the airport, I'll be there in my chauffeur driven RV :laughing:

That's good....closest major airport is 300 miles away in MPLS! :laughing: I'll watch for the RV... :D

Yep, BeagleMum remembered right--baby cardinal. Nice shots!!!

And lor, beautiful shots of the adult male! Where did you see the snow geese?

TeriM, you always find the best places to camp. :D

TeriM
May 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Lor, those cardinal shots are fabulous :lovestruck:.

lor
May 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM
[COLOR="purple"]Where did you see the snow geese?

We were driving through an area called Valleyfield not far from here, on our way to Chateauguay. My husband pulled over because he thought they were swans lol...we don't normally see snow geese in our area.

Lor, those cardinal shots are fabulous :lovestruck:.

Thanks, I have a billion pictures of this guy...cardinals are my favorite.

lor
May 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Here are a few more from the goose day...I was so happy that I had my camera in the car!

lor
May 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Ok, last one for now...I love nature pictures and could do this all day!

Another of the handsome boy:

hazelrunpack
May 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Beautiful pics, lor!

Chris, I'm up to three nectar feeders already :eek: And they just got back last week! :eek: I'm gonna need all four of me to keep up with the nectar refills come the fall migration! :eek:

Some of our residents:

Herman Hummer

Buzz Needlenose

and his lovely consort, Lily...

I could tell it was them right away--they remembered me from last year and let me get really close. :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
May 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Beautiful pics, lor!

Chris, I'm up to three nectar feeders already :eek: And they just got back last week! :eek: I'm gonna need all four of me to keep up with the nectar refills come the fall migration! :eek:

Some of our residents:

Herman Hummer

Buzz Needlenose

and his lovely consort, Lily...

I could tell it was them right away--they remembered me from last year and let me get really close. :thumbs up

Herman, Buzz and Lily:laughing:. You can ask them to head on over my way for a nectar nightcap.:D

hazelrunpack
May 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'll maybe try to the boys on in a few days...methinks the ladies are setting up housekeeping and here for the duration :thumbs up but the boys might be willing to push the envelope and explore new territories once all the ladies are busy with their nestly duties. :D

Chris21711
May 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Beautiful pics, lor!

Since you want to hog the Hummingbird population of NA Hazel...what happens when one of "you" goes down :crazy:

:rolleyes: If you say so :laughing:

Chris21711
May 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Question Hazel...do you get any other species of Hummingbird besides the Ruby Throated?

hazelrunpack
May 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Question Hazel...do you get any other species of Hummingbird besides the Ruby Throated?
There was an Anna's hummingbird that ended up wintering over in the Mitchell Domes (conservatory) in Milwaukee a few years back--but it got there by mistake and was flown home in style next spring. :D Other than that, nope...purely ruby-throated this latitude and east of the Rockies.

And what happens when one of us goes 'down'? :o hubby gets drafted! :laughing: And hubby's folks if they're next door :thumbs up

Chris21711
May 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
There was an Anna's hummingbird that ended up wintering over in the Mitchell Domes (conservatory) in Milwaukee a few years back--but it got there by mistake and was flown home in style next spring. :D Other than that, nope...purely ruby-throated this latitude and east of the Rockies.

I had to go googling on sweet Anna, I had never heard of an Anna, she s/he sure was off course, glad they treated s/he kindly.

And what happens when one of us goes 'down'? :o hubby gets drafted! :laughing: And hubby's folks if they're next door :thumbs up

Rats....you have an answer for everything :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
May 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Answers and pics...what more can you ask? :laughing:

Here's a few more pics from this afternoon.

They went through 5 feeders of nectar today :eek: I hung out the 4th one so hubby won't have to refill so many tomorrow morning when I'm gone.

If you're wondering about the missing bee guards--the orioles like the nectar, too, but they can't get through the bee guards. So I remove one from each feeder to give the orioles access. If I don't, they remove it for me and throw it to the ground :rolleyes: Beautiful birds, but a tad cheeky, wouldn't you say? :laughing:

TeriM
May 22nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Great hummer pics Hazel :cloud9:.

ownedbycats
May 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM
By sheer accident, I finally got a picture I can add. was over at the offleash dog park taking pictures of my dog, when this bright flash of colour went past and perched nearby. the bird book says its a red breasted grosbeak

chico2
May 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
That's great,the Grosbeaks are so pretty,the fly through here ever now and then too.

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Oh, I love rose-breasted grosbeaks, ownedbycats!!!! :flirt: They sing pretty, too! :D We have them here, but the only chance I get for pics is through the chain-link while they're on the feeders--and the camera keeps focussing on the fence, not the feeder! :yell:

I've got a few more hummer pics that I posted elsewhere, so you've all probably seen them...but I'll put them here, too...

Chris21711
May 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hazel the Hummer Hog....I have a question.....are your feeders in full sun or do they get part shade during the day?

In the "Setter's Eye" thread, in one of the pics, I think I counted seven of the little jewels :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
And a few more...

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hazel the Hummer Hog....I have a question.....are your feeders in full sun or do they get part shade during the day?

In the "Setter's Eye" thread, in one of the pics, I think I counted seven of the little jewels :cloud9:
I have the shepherd's hook set up under a pine tree in the hummingbird garden. The feeder farthest from the trunk gets some sun, and all the feeders get some sun early morning and late afternoon, but for the most part, they're in full shade.

I was looking for some pics, but none of them give a good idea of how it's laid out in relation to the tree...so I'll try to take one later (if it stops raining) :thumbs up

This morning, all the hummers are hanging out on top of the tomato cages, ruffling and preening in the rain. :cloud9: So cute to watch them bathe that way!

Chris21711
May 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I have the shepherd's hook set up under a pine tree in the hummingbird garden. The feeder farthest from the trunk gets some sun, and all the feeders get some sun early morning and late afternoon, but for the most part, they're in full shade.

That's great, 'cos where I want to hang two feeders is right outside my kitchen window and it is mostly shade, gets a bit of sun when it comes up in morning and then a bit later on in the afternoon :thumbs up

I was looking for some pics, but none of them give a good idea of how it's laid out in relation to the tree...so I'll try to take one later (if it stops raining) :thumbs up

Appreciated in anticipation :)

This morning, all the hummers are hanging out on top of the tomato cages, ruffling and preening in the rain. :cloud9: So cute to watch them bathe that way!

Hazel you are killing me with envy, no pics on this event :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
No, no pics :sad: I tried--but had to take it through the screen because it's raining buckets out there. The focus was on the screen so the birds are totally blurred... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what rain would do to the camera :o

Chris21711
May 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
No, no pics :sad: I tried--but had to take it through the screen because it's raining buckets out there. The focus was on the screen so the birds are totally blurred... :rolleyes:

You could have asked one of the pack to hold the brolly fer ya' :laughing:

I'm not sure what rain would do to the camera :o

Don't worry about such trivialities :D

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM

My 'brolly is huge with a setter on it--it scares the birds away! :p I actually tried it... :o

Chris21711
May 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM

My 'brolly is huge with a setter on it--it scares the birds away! :p I actually tried it... :o

Mmmmm....I wanna a picture :yell:

CarolynInPEI
May 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Here is a picture of a Northern Mockingbird. They aren't very common on PEI but so far this spring there has been several sightings of them.

The pictures aren't very good because they are very skittish birds and I couldn't get close enough to get a good shot.

He/she was spotted by my sister about 10 minutes from our parent's house. I was able to find him/her when I went looking for him.

I wish I just could have gotten a little closer:sad:

jillybeanrocks
May 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
My MIL had a placed a platform on one of their tree stumps and a pair of geese made that their nest this spring. The babies finally hatched and the proud mom and pop took their 3 babies to the pond really far away. My FIL went up to the nest 12 hours later to clean it out and found this little guy all by his lonesome. They took him in and fed and kept him warm and phoned a bird rescue to find out what to do. They had him for 2 days until the rescue was able to pick him up. Poor gosling has a deformed foot so that's probably why he was left up in the nest.

chico2
May 27th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Aww Jillybean,he's so sweet,hope he made it:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Carolyn--a mockingbird that far north!!!! :eek: We're too far north...we never see them! That would be a thrill! :D

And dang, jilliebean, that's one cute gosling!!! :flirt: I hope the rescue can help him out!

Chris...it was rainy and very gloomy today, but here's a pic of the hummingbird feeders under the tree:

And some of the day's nectar sippers :cloud9::

52551 52552

Chris21711
May 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Holy crow Hazel you must live in Hummingbird Heaven....I'm just green...sigh.

I don't have such a clear area unless I put them in the middle of the yard, but I'm gonna try outside my kitchen window like I already said and hope it will attract a few....It is more or less where we took the nest from a few seasons ago, so it might be a favourable spot, I'm hoping.

Jillybean - too sweet the little gosling :lovestruck:

onster
May 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Loooooove all the pics :D

Ive never seen a real live hummingbird but I can almost hear their wings going with your pics hazel :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
May 31st, 2009, 05:13 PM
At the park at the end of my street we have Canada Geese by the thousands and Mallard numbering almost as many, plus an impostor

chico2
June 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Lukkasmom,great pic love to watch them.
One of these days we'll go down to the lake-park and take some pics,Canada Geese,tons of them,Swans,Ducks etc....there should be babies now:lovestruck:
We are not allowed to feed them,but of course people still do.

jillybeanrocks
June 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
We were working outside all weekend and I heard what sounded like meowing coming from the bush. I thought to myself oh no... not another stray kitten! It wasn't one, it turned out to be this beautiful bird which we later found out is a Grey Catbird... sounds identical to a kitten's little meow!

Lukka'sma
June 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM
We were working outside all weekend and I heard what sounded like meowing coming from the bush. I thought to myself oh no... not another stray kitten! It wasn't one, it turned out to be this beautiful bird which we later found out is a Grey Catbird... sounds identical to a kitten's little meow!

:laughing::laughing:not only a cute little meow sound, but if you are hiking and you hear an entire repertoire of songs coming from one area, you can be sure a cat bird is singing for you. I love to listen to them.

Lukka'sma
June 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
:laughing::laughing:Hasn't anyone spotted Casper the Friendly Duck in my post above:laughing:

Chris21711
June 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
:laughing::laughing:Hasn't anyone spotted Casper the Friendly Duck in my post above:laughing:

I saw him, does he hang with them all the time Lukkas'ma?

chico2
June 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
I saw him too:laughing:the white one of course,right??
Kind'a hard to miss:laughing:
I've had a cat-bird here to,they sound lovely,but many birds just tend to pass through here.
As soon as I hear a birdsong that's new,out come the binoculars:laughing:

chico2
June 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Here are a couple of "my" Pigeons,these two are really beautiful,white and grey.
Sorry,my camera does not allow me any close-ups:yell:

CarolynInPEI
June 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Here are some photos of a few Bald Eagles that were on the beach near my house today. There was 7 in total. 2 adults and 5 immatures. One of the immatures is almost full grown, almost has all of his/her adult plummage.

The first 4 pictures are in sequence, they show 1 of the adults chasing the almost adult. The 1st pic shows the 2 eagles flying together, the 2nd shows the immature in the water after the adult pushed him/her in, the 3rd shows the immature trying get out of the water and the 4th shows them flying together again.

The other 2 photos show:
1. the group of birds on the beach with the adult flying over head
2. three of the immatures sitting on the beach and the adult flying by.

CarolynInPEI
June 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Here are the rest of the pics........

CarolynInPEI
June 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Here is a picture that I took the other evening of a Great Blue Heron that was walking on the edge of the river that is near my house.

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
That heron shot is spectacular, Carolyn!

CarolynInPEI
June 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hey Thanks :thumbs up. It's definitely one of my favorites.

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM
WOW,beautiful picture,love Herons,beautiful graceful birds:lovestruck:

jillybeanrocks
June 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
We were putting up our fence and noticed in the trees a Yellow Warbler's nest. I set up the tripod and got some pretty good shots.

chico2
June 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Beautiful,I love the little Warblers,great pics...isn't spring/summer just amazing:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
June 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Oh, how cool is that!?! Great shots, jillybeanrocks! :cloud9:

jillybeanrocks
June 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I agree, we just love the birds! It seems every week we get something new, I must remember to keep my camera handy so I can capture it.