Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Georges is allergic!

scathach
January 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I just arrived from the vet with my lil EB. We went cuz he's been scratching himself like crazy, has eczema like on his armpits and a ear infection! The vet says it's food allergy.
Georges has been on Orijen for puppy since november and we thought he was doing great :shrug: Until 2 weeks ago when he started to scratch.It as been getting worst during the weekend, espacially in his left ear! So now the vet gave me his hypo allergenic food http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=PL&productID=21 (which doesnt seem to content grain!). I know it's not the best food for him but at the moment i want him to stop scratching himself to blood! At the same time, we gonna stop giving him the treats we have and give him some kibble instead. So now, i'm open to suggestions. What should i do to have a healthy happy puppy?

aslan
January 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
hey scathach, i can relate with the food allergy my smallest has developed one now too. You're right about the food he has prescribed. Definately go with a totally grain free. which orijen was the little guy on. I've switched mine over to taste of the wild -bison and venison to make sure it isn't chicken that's bothering him. For his itchy spots, did the vet give you anything?

scathach
January 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
he was on orijen puppy mix. The vet gave me a spray for the eczema and drops for the ear.

aslan
January 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
lol, been awhile since mine ate anything puppy. Personally i'd check around for Innova, Evo, Wellness, Taste of the wild. get no grain..... if the allergy persists, then try removing chicken. I just did a total switch just to be safe, dealing with a puppy you don't want to limit yourself. If the spray doesn't help, anywhere he can't really reach to lick you can use a little cortesone creme.

aslan
January 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM
if i just looked at the right orijen puppy food, it is grain free.

scathach
January 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
i knew that orijen puppy was grain free, that's why we choose it in the first place... but now he's allergic :shrug: So, we may try orijen fish next... seems to be a better choice of ingredient than the fish/potatoe the vet gave me...

he can't lick his armpit but he sure lick his paws after ;) so i don't think he'll get the cortizone creme

Etown_Chick
January 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I had to switch from Orijen regular dog to Orijen 6 fish. His itchiness is soo much better. So are his poos. Ok you didn't ask about that but my vet says they are very closely related.
It definately was the chicken. Talk around the dog park is that a lot of dogs become allergic to chicken.
Careful, it's in a lot of things including Kong treats.sigh.
I would be cautious about Orijen for pups though, as apparently the high protein content is not that good for growing bodies.

geisha
January 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Etown Chick it's the phosphorous & calcium ratios you have to be concerned with in pups. Protein is okay. BTW we're in Edmonton too.:thumbs up

scathach
January 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
We tried alot of food for Georges at the beginnings we went thru 6 in 2 1/2 month and Orijen was the only one that gave him good poo and alot less gas. So chicken allergy sound right for Georges. Which means we should be able to gave him his treats back since there not chicken in.

Georges doesnt get kong treat... he doesnt even like to play with his kong. he's not into rubber thing... he likes stuffies! :p

diandpat
January 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear about Georges' allergies...not fun at all :sad:

Be careful of what is in the treats you are giving him. Many many many dogs are allergic to wheat, corn and gluten so if you are feeding grain free but giving grain in his treats, even though there is no chicken in them, that might be triggering his allergies as welll...just a thought:shrug:

scathach
January 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
yeah i thought about that cuz we stopped giving him treats also. Now, he's just on the vet kibbles... which i'm gonna change for Orijen fish which is a better mix of fish and potatoes than the vet kibbles. I saw freeze-dry meat treat at the pet store... we'll try it once the allergies clean out... no chicken... and if start itching we'll stop and try something else till we find the right thing for him.

Etown_Chick
January 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
scathach,
best of luck narrowing down his allergies.
I think I am winning the war with Scruffy's .. fingers crossed.

geisha, do you go to the doggie parks? If you come to mine, I must know you by now!

geisha
January 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hey Etown, we go to Laurier, & Terwillegar. We used to go to Millcreek.

BTW Rose our senior samoyed has a chicken allergy. We exclusively fed an elimination diet for 6 weeks. The holistic vet recommended no cookie treats.
She started with California Naturals Herring & Sweet Potato then Go! Salmon & Oatmeal. She is 14 and up til this week acted like she was 7. We were fortunate that her allergy was simple to diagnose. Good luck finding a solution.:thumbs up

scathach
January 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Well as i thought the vet kibbles doesnt going to do it for Georges. The poor thing is so hungry! He went from a 42% to a 22% protein content. And following the guideline on new kibbles we gave him 2 2/3 cups which isnt much more than what he was having of Orijen. But, it wasnt enough he was hungry. He kept putting his paw in his bowl and scratching it. he does that when his water bowl is empty and he want more. So, we gave him more kibbles. We don't want to gave him too much cuz he tend to get chubby. So, we're gonna go get some Orijen fish for him as soon as we can. But, i don't know if it's good for a puppy. Georges is only 7 months old and he weights 44 lbs.

zomo
January 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Just make sure you change all his treats to grain free. If the allergy is to grains and not to chicken giving him treats that have grains will have him reacting to every food he will try. Could be that his allergy is to the grains in the treats and not to the chicken. In any case changing to fish is a good idea and make sure to get those grain free treats also. Keep us updated on your little cutie.

scathach
January 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
he's off the treats! didnt get one since the change of food... We're letting the allergy get under control and we'll try the treat again. At the first signs of itchiness or ear infection we'll stop.

Tommysmom
January 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Just in case you do try other foods/treats, one other thing to watch for is some kind of hidden ingredients... when my pup showed allergies to chicken, we kept switching foods/treats to stuff that didn't have chicken only to discover later that chicken fat was listed way down the ingredient list in most of them. Some people say that dogs don't react to the fat the same way as the protein, but mine reacted to both.

If you do want treats, you can usually find 100% rabbit or kangaroo treats at Global/Ryan's. No other ingredients. It's unusual for a dog to be allergic to something he's never had before, so something different like kangaroo is normally safe.

Good luck with the Orijen fish - my doggy's been on that since he was young, and he's done really well on it.

scathach
January 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM
usually Georges gets sweet treats... no trace of chicken, not even the fats. But grain floor, fruits, veggies and peanut butter...

Etown_Chick
January 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Scathach
I've fed Scruffy Orijen since I got him.He is a rescue dog and was estimated to be around 7 months of age. He's perfectly healthy, strong bones and muscles. And only a teeny bit spoiled..lol. If it weren't for the scratching he'd still be on Orijen regular.
(So I know it's not grain he's allergic to as he wasn't getting any grain treats at the time either).
We're both happy now that he's no longer trying to scratch his head off.

Oh and geisha, we go to Grand Trunk - it's not pretty but it's close! Hope to get to Laurier in the spring when the trees are budding out...mm..smells so good!

scathach
January 31st, 2009, 09:19 AM
If you do want treats, you can usually find 100% rabbit or kangaroo treats at Global/Ryan's.

I would have to travel in Ontario to go to Global/Ryan's! A bit far for doggy treats!:laughing:

Tommysmom
January 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM
I would have to travel in Ontario to go to Global/Ryan's! A bit far for doggy treats!:laughing:

LOL, I forgot that it's called something different there... I think it's Petit Minou or something like that.

rainbow
January 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Here is a really easy treat that you can make for Georges ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25544&highlight=salmon+treats

scathach
February 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
LOL, I forgot that it's called something different there... I think it's Petit Minou or something like that.

Mmmm never saw it around Quebec city! But we have a good pet store where i buy Orijen!