Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice on post whelp bitch

nicalanauk
January 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Can a dog have puppys n then have more puppies 3 days later?
she is panting n shivering n digging . 1st set of puppies no problem at birth and she has accepted thm fine . she was mated 3 times i am just wondering if some could be born later than others. she has appointment booked at 9 am n if she gets worst i will ring emerency vet out
thanks for your help

Dracko
January 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Um, how about you go to the vet NOW instead of waiting around for someone on a message board giving you advice.

Love4himies
January 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I think the e-vet is a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

nicalanauk
January 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
i was on the phone to vets about an hour ago he did not seem t think it was serious n to come in the morning

Love4himies
January 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
i was on the phone to vets about an hour ago he did not seem t think it was serious n to come in the morning

I really don't know anything about whelping pups, but logic just tells me this is NOT normal. Call another vet.

nicalanauk
January 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
thanks ill try that she has settled abit now but still going to ring for a second opinion

BenMax
January 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Very odd. This is the advice: Go to a vet. They are the only ones with hands on that can assist you. No one here can give you advice nor assistance - we are not vets.

If you love your dog and care about the well being - then this is the only option at this point. Better safe than sorry.

Melinda
January 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
a few times there is a deceased pup left, I'd say to see a vet immediately! is this her first litter?

nicalanauk
January 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
yes this is her first litter. she has clamed abit but rang out of hours vet n he said if she has calmed leave till morning but if starts back up bring her in. i sleep with her anyway so i will be with her to keep an eye on her

14+kitties
January 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Maybe you should see if your question can be answered by your mentor. If not, then you should be talking to your vet.
This is a thread that may answer your question.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820

Winston
January 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Thank you 14+ !!!! that is a great link you provided.

DaisyDuke*
January 30th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Hi, I'm a little late on this one, but I am wondering how things turned out with your dog? From experience, if you feel in your get that your vet is wrong then don't hesitate to get a second opinion. My dog was unable to eat or move and my vet said to wait til morning. I did not feel right about this and called another vet right away and she urged us to rush our pup to her clinic even though it was almost 2 am. Sadly, some are just to lazy to get out of bed. I hope your situation ended better than mine.

erykah1310
January 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM
All that runs through my head right now... poor dog for one and retained placenta or still a pup in there. 3 days is excrutiatingly painful for her.

Another reason breeding should not be taken lightly.
Hope she made it into a vet and the outcome was good.
*fingers crossed*