Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Siamese cat breeders?

mollywog
January 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I am posting this on behalf of my parents. This winter, they suffered the loss of their 13 year old Seal Point Siamese male, Simba. It was quite sudden- they noticed he was losing weight so they brought him to the vet, and discovered that his kidneys were functioning at 25% and quickly deteriorating so they made the difficult decision to put him down that day.
Since then, they have been dealing with their grief, and are now starting to talk about getting a new kitten. They still have Phoebe, who was Simba's life partner, totally stuck to him like glue, and is still looking for him since he's been gone :sad:
Does anyone know of any reputable breeders? My mom is interested in buying a very "traditional" looking Siamese this time around- long and sleek with big ears. My parents live in Thunder Bay but I know that a lot of breeders are willing to ship.
For those of you who will suggest going to a shelter- I couldn't agree more, but my mom is stuck on another Siamese, says they are the only breed for her. So at least she is looking for a reputable breeder this time around (Simba came from a BYB)
Also- Phoebe, their female, is very territorial and dominant in the household (she even bosses their 100lb Malamute around!) Should they anticipate any problems when they bring a new kitten home? And would it be better for them to buy a male or a female with this in mind?
any advice/ contact info would be greatly appreciated.
RIP Simba. :rip:

badger
January 25th, 2009, 11:48 AM
There is a young male Siamese in Mississauga on petfinder.com, by the name of Rover (go figure). Six months old, sealpont. I'd go for a male, another female might be problematic, but you never know. Even at six months, the other cat will be seriously bugged for awhile. But if s/he got sufficient playtime to drain off some of that non-stop energy, it's doable.
Sorry, don't know any breeders, maybe her vet might? Of course, the line between a BYB and a solid breeder can sometimes be a little fuzzy...

ancientgirl
January 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
What a handsome kitty Simba was. I'm sorry for the loss.

I agree with Badger in looking on petfinder or a shelter/rescue. I'm sure there are some purebreed Siamese to be found there.:fingerscr

mollywog
January 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Petfinder is great, its actually how I found Molly :lovestruck:
However, my parents live in Thunder Bay, so it could be very difficult to arrange transportation. But I will let them know. Thanks!

lUvMyLaB<3
January 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I am sure if you look it wont be hard to find one at a shelter, I fosterd a whole litter of 6 years ago,... I understand why your mom thinks it is the only breed for her, once you love one, it is hard to go back! my parents have 2 of the babies I fostered, they are SPOILED! sorry about your loss, I hope you find her a new soulmate soon.

otter
January 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Petfinder is great, its actually how I found Molly :lovestruck:
However, my parents live in Thunder Bay, so it could be very difficult to arrange transportation. But I will let them know. Thanks!

Try not to discount the ability of rescues to get animals from her to there.... we've seen rescues go from one end of the country to another. For a good home, many people are willing to go to the ends of the earth.

:fingerscr for finding a kitty

(if I can help with transport... don't hesitate to ask!)

growler~GateKeeper
January 26th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I'm sorry about your parents cat :rip: :candle:

My mom is interested in buying a very "traditional" looking Siamese this time around- long and sleek with big ears.

The traditional Siamese is actually the Applehead rounded head & sturdy body types. The Wedgeheads are the extreme modern type came about in the 1950's & 1960's. Siamese Body Types (http://www.meezer.com/siambreed1.html)

Please ask your mum to have a look at Siamese Rescue (http://www.siameserescue.org/), they are based out of the US but transport arrangements can be made. They have 5 rescue organizations in different locations in the US, best to look at the one closest to you. If your mum is looking for a kitten, an adult or an older cat there are always many to choose from, Siamese Rescue takes in not only purebred Siamese but any meezer mixes and will also help with special rescue situations that do not involve Siamese. Almost all of the cats are in foster homes, two of the Rescues do have shelter facilities but unlike a traditional shelter, the cats are given free range and do not spend all day in a cage. This affords the volunteers/fosters an in-depth knowledge of what kind of home is best suited for each cat & can advise a good match.

I do not have any affiliation/contact with Siamese Rescue but that's where I would go :2cents:

Love4himies
January 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Great advice, Growler and Otter, good rescues will go to the ends of the earth to get a home for a pet. Plus an older cat has their personality formed so they would be able to best advise if a cat will fit into your home.

BenMax
January 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I got a beautiful lilac point Siamese from a no kill shelter. He was 4 months old when I got him. His name is Blu and he was surrendered by a breeder who could not place him and 4 others. You will 100% find a siamese that requires re-homing and a loving family.

L4H will try to download my picture of Blu - my shelter cat.

Love4himies
January 27th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Here is the pic of BenMax's Blu :cloud9: :lovestruck: such a beautiful girl:

Love4himies
January 27th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I should also tell you about my Jasper. He was adopted from the Cornwall SPCA two years ago. He has been ID'd by Ragdoll breeder as a possible purebred and he has all the typical personality traits of the ragdoll. So what I am saying is, just because the cat may not come with the papers, doesn't mean they don't have the same traits as what your parents are looking for.

ancientgirl
January 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM
OMG Blu is beautiful!:cloud9:

BenMax
January 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you AncientGirl. I think he is not only a gorgeous boy but he has an amazing character. He definately dictates who is boss in the cat pack - but he is also very loving with them. He is the cat 'groomer' and ensures that everyone smells beautiful lavishing them with his own saliva. Even with my fosters - he ensures that they are well groomed.

This just goes to show everyone that the shelters are full of gorgeous cats. I must admit however that the domestics are my favourite as you never had an identical. Siamese are not unique in looks but their characters are very different.

Love4himies
January 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Whoops sorry, BenMax, I called Blu a girl :o must have been thinking of another beautiful girl in your house :whistle:

BenMax
January 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Whoops sorry, BenMax, I called Blu a girl :o must have been thinking of another beautiful girl in your house :whistle:

Oh that's ok L4H. Blu is kinda feminine anyways.:laughing:. I have to tell you that he is such a great cat. I can't imagine my life without him. He's ma boy.!