Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopters of Older Cats -- What's Your Story?

bds1960to
January 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Have you adopted an older cat? Why and how did it work out?

On Dec. 2, my feline companion of 18 years, who had been growing old and thin for two years, finally became too weak to sustain herself and we went to the vet on Dec. 3 for a final time.

I went to the Toronto Humane Society 3 days later and found one of their cats I'd seen on their website. A 9-year-old longhair tabby girl, fixed. The site said she'd been there for 13 months. The staff told me she'd had 3 previous owners.

I'd already decided to adopt an adult. Given the story behind this one, I knew she needed a home. In her cage, when I came by, she rolled her head as if looking for a chin scratch. How could I refuse? They loaded her into a cardboard carrier. When I got her home, I found she was more fat than hair.

Nevertheless, I could not think of returning her to the shelter. Even tho, as I found out after a couple of weeks, she'd had a 3rd owner for 8 months in 2008 and had spent only 3 months in a cage before I got her.

Vetted her. Good health except for kennel stink, dirty bottom because of the cage circumstances. She's so fat I have to clean her bottom until we get her down to size.

She's now on a diet. We're settling in to each other.

Ain't no way this lady's going back to the shelter a 4th time. She's here for good.

badger
January 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
How great is that?
All my cats are adult strays, pre-owned (ie not feral) and even though some of them were in pretty bad shape, they all turned out OK, in some cases spectacularly so, if I do say so myself :laughing:. None came from the SPCA.
Finding homes for adults is especially difficult because people want kittens or they're afraid people have dumped them because there was a problem (biting, spraying). Clearly your girl was just unwanted :sad:.
Good on you.
Can you post a picture?

PS The best way to get weight off a cat is to feed 100% good quality canned food.

bds1960to
January 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
How great is that?
All my cats are adult strays, pre-owned (ie not feral) and even though some of them were in pretty bad shape, they all turned out OK, in some cases spectacularly so, if I do say so myself :laughing:. None came from the SPCA.
Finding homes for adults is especially difficult because people want kittens or they're afraid people have dumped them because there was a problem (biting, spraying). Clearly your girl was just unwanted :sad:.
Good on you.
Can you post a picture?

PS The best way to get weight off a cat is to feed 100% good quality canned food.

Food situation taken care of thanks to comments from other posters in another thread.
Terra was sent to THS first at 4 yrs. Reason: cost. There 1 mth. Adopted for 4 years. Returned. Reason: allergies. There 2 mths. Adopted 8 mths. Returned Sept. 08. Reason: moving. There 3 mths. I got rescued her.

Somewhere along the way, someone overfed her. She was 16.75 lbs when I got her.

Dracko
January 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
She is very, very pretty. :lovestruck:

onster
January 24th, 2009, 11:14 PM
well Onnie isn't 'old' but he was an adult (estimated 3 yrs) when I adopted him. To be honest, we wento the petcetera that day (partners with HS) wanting to meet a specific kitten named Louise. When we got there turned out Louise was in fact Louis (not really a problem but a surprise) and Louis had a sister in the cage with him. First problem came that my mom didnt want to seperate Louis & Sibling in the hopes someone would adopt them together. Second problem was that these 2 were just craaaaaazy and possibly too young. Pooped in their beds twice while we were there, wouldnt hold still (lol yeah kittens) but we took them out to play with anyway. We had pretty much realized it wasnt any of them and in fact none of the cats there (these were the only kittens and we wanted a kitten), when we noticed this adult black cat just dying to get out of the cage and play with the balls the kittens were chasing. All the other cats couldnt be bothered but he was transfixed on the ball, pinned against his cage.

The girl there reccomended him, said he was sooo good, she played with him after work all the time. She reaaaly tried to play him up, even told me he was 1/2 manx cuz he has a 3/4 tail (which later I learned is most likely not true :rolleyes:). My mom said she would probably be the last person to adopt a black cat :rolleyes: , let alone one named zabriewski :crazy:(anyone know where his first name came from?!) but we felt bad for him and put the kittens back and took him out just to stretch his legs. He curled up to sleep on my moms lap. Mom went home to bring the cat carrier :D

lol.

He was apparently dropped off at a friends by the owner and then not picked up :shrug: I really think someone just didnt want to pay the surrender fees :frustrated:

onster
January 24th, 2009, 11:16 PM
and btw ure kitty is just gorgeous..she is sooo lucky to have you now :lovestruck::cloud9:

kanis
January 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM
A few ago, while visiting my parents, I dragged my mom to the shelter. I had visited it the day before and found this beautiful kitty that immediately reminded of my mom's best friend who had moved away. It was love at first site. Though my parents had vowed never to get another pet after our dog Mimmi died in 1991, my mom brought Charlie home with her that day. Charlie was about 9 or 10 years old when my mom adopted her. She had been left at the shelter because her owner had been placed into an extended care unit after a stroke.

Charlie has been an amazing companion for my mom. They've totally bonded. My mother is so thankful that I dragged her down to the shelter that day. :)

kiara
January 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Since our 21 year old female cat had to be euthanized, (this was in 1991), our house felt empty without a cat. We went to SPCA and decided to adopt the oldest cat there, that day. We fell in love with a male cat, he was 4 years old. Very gentle and nice natured. When we brought him home he was scared of everything and loved to sleep on our bed and would stretch out, we called him "long puss". He would hide under the bed if the doorell rang and was scared of men. We named him Felix. Male cats are prone to heart disease and unfortunately this is what he developed after being with us for six wonderful years. He howled all the way to the vet as he was in a lot of pain. He did not make it. We were glad that we gave him six years of happiness.

otter
January 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Both of my "adoptees" were older when they came to be mine.
Misery... She lived in the house I bought and when the owners moved out and then split up, she found herself without a decent home. Her "mom" asked if she could come back and live in "her" house (Misery always did own the place). She hated me for about a week (constantly hissing and swatting at me) then suddenly one day she decided I was her best friend.

Clover...also came with the house I bought... only he lived in the garage and moved with the old owners as well. Since he lived outside his whole life, he continued to do so where they moved to. When they moved out of their new house they just left him behind and I think he came back to my house to familiar territory. I saw him around a couple of times so I started leaving food and blankets out for him. After my dog (Chloe :rip:) passed away, Clover started to get friendly with me... about a month later he moved into the house. He was a bit aloof and sprayed a bit when he was first her but now, he is a model house cat.

Clover and Misery never saw eye to eye on anything for almost two years... just in the past two weeks i've caught them playing once in a while :cloud9: Maybe they have made peace with each other. Maybe Clover has finally conceded that he is NEVER going to be boss around this house and he might as well make the most of it :shrug:

So... really I didn't adopt these two cats, they just came with the house I bought :laughing: That said, I wouldn't hesitate to take in an older cat again :lovestruck:

kiara
January 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Since our 21 year old female cat had to be euthanized, (this was in 1991), our house felt empty without a cat. We went to SPCA and decided to adopt the oldest cat there, that day. We fell in love with a male cat, he was 4 years old. Very gentle and nice natured. When we brought him home he was scared of everything and loved to sleep on our bed and would stretch out, we called him "long puss". He would hide under the bed if the doorbell rang and was scared of men. We named him Felix. Male cats are prone to heart disease and unfortunately this is what he developed after being with us for six wonderful years. He howled all the way to the emergency vet clinic, as he was in a lot of pain. He did not make it. We were glad that we gave him six years of happiness.

ancientgirl
January 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Oy, someone had your girl for 4 years then decided they had allergies? :frustrated:

Only 1 of my five is older, even though I don't consider her that old. Czari is about 4 or 5 years old. She was living as a stray in my condo complex. I brought her indoors in December of 2007, only to have things end badly. I tried bringing her in again in June of 2008 and thanks to better preparation and some Prozac, she's adapted really well to indoor life!

I'm so happy I was able to give her a better life.

14+kitties
January 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Umm ancient.... you brought Czari in in Dec of '07 and then again in June of
'08. :o I remember when you were going through all of this with her. :o

ancientgirl
January 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Umm ancient.... you brought Czari in in Dec of '07 and then again in June of
'08. :o I remember when you were going through all of this with her. :o

LOL, you're right. how could I have forgotten. Heck, I didn't even have Vlad in 2006, my sweet boy wasn't even born yet. :o

bds1960to
January 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=ancientgirl;738004]Oy, someone had your girl for 4 years then decided they had allergies? :frustrated:

QUOTE]

To be fair, it could have been a new spouse, or a new child who was allergic. Can't assume it was the individual who adopted her.

ancientgirl
January 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
To be fair, it could have been a new spouse, or a new child who was allergic. Can't assume it was the individual who adopted her.

We can't assume it's not. I've read about these things just popping up all of a sudden. That's the worse excuse to me, mainly because I have an extreme allergy to cats AND have asthma, so I don't buy that as an excuse. :rolleyes:

Pipercats
January 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
We have adopted 2 fur kids in the past 2.5 years. Cabot is a manx who was under a year at the time. The shelter felt he would never get a home due to his hind legs being kinda wonky. He is a wonderful kid to have around the house. His hind legs never slow him down and he is such a sweetheart.

Our second is our Bengal girl Kia. She was about 10 years old when we adopted her from the shelter in Estevan, Sask. in Sept. of 2008. I found her listed on petfinder. I contacted the shelter when I saw that she had been listed for a few weeks to find out more info about her condition and behavior. I then called and spoke at length with the shelter about her and to let them know that we were interested and what type of home we could provide. To make a long story short, we picked her up on a Friday and we had a nice 2hr ride home where I am sure Kia did most of the talking - telling us all about herself and I am sure how happy she was to be going to a new home. She has been our pride and joy since arriving home and has adapted well with her new family of 5 feline brothers and 1 canine sister.

We learned some of Kia's history through a gentleman in Estevan who knew of her situation. It seems that a couple bought her from a breeder who retired from breeding due to health reasons. For what ever reason, she was not spayed and the folks who got her thought to breed her. I think they saw Bengal and $$$$ - however they had no clue of what they were doing or what they were in for. The man of the house (and I use the term loosely) was somewhat abusive and locked the poor girl in the basement as he could not tolerate the howling and just wanted to be rid of her.

Kia has been with us since September - behavior issues - none. She is happy, healthy and active. She eats like a horse, loves to talk and chitter and chatter. Plays well with the other kids and sleeps on top of the 66 gallon aquarium in the morning sun or in your lap for Bengal Belly Rubs. It doesn't get much better than that.

Would we adopt another older cat - you bet!
Bill and Terri