Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

National Do Not Call List - Do not add your number(s) to the list

Joeyjoejoe
January 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
So some might remember my rant about the NDNC list:

I won't go on a long rant about the Do Not Call list, but I will say that I was part of the early discussions in the development of the National Do Not Call List in Canada, so I'm well informed. I will say that the list does not work and it is a huge waste of tax payer money.

Think about it. You give your number to the DNCL. They in turn send your number to ALL call centres and tell them don't use this. Can they all be so trusting? I can set up a fake company (not using my real name), pay the fee to CRTC and get the DNCL. Now I can scam specifically those people, by saying I'm the CRTC and part of being on the DNCL, I will need some more information from you... like your name, address, social #, drivers license, etc to validate that I am talking to the correct person. Don't worry, we are part of the Canadian Government, your information is secure with us. Bam! I just stole your identity!

I even mentioned that Global TV did a news story:
http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/ontario/story.html?id=1176350

Turns out CBC and CTV News are also picking it up:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/01/23/donotcall.html

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/call...rn/#clip133000 <-- has four clips that will automatically play one after another.

Bottom line is groups like Consumers' Association of Canada are now recommending, everyone should avoid adding their name to the list and for the entire NDNC list to be put on hold and re-done.

I would obviously agree. I hope heads role at the CRTC. They completely dropped the ball when researching where all the telemarketing calls were coming from. They initially thought the telemarketing calls were from major corporations like Bell or CIBC, but in reality they are the small businesses (student painters), fly by nights (break CRTC rules, but they disappear before the CRTC can go after them), and scammers (mostly overseas and outside of CRTC jurisdiction). In reality, all they had to do was copy the US Do Not Call registry, but failed to execute even that!

Okay.... just needed to get that off my chest. I've been ranting about this since September to anyone that would hear me. At times I felt like the crazy guy on the corner wearing a sandwich board screaming the world was going to end... but nobody would hear me out. It feels good to be validated, but really, I just hope the CRTC actually admits to F***ing up and fixes everything, instead of giving lip service until the media dies down and end up doing nothing.

wdawson
January 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
why not just create a please call list.....unless your names on the list ....its dnc :rolleyes:

Bina
January 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I was leary of the DNCL last September (I am a natural skeptic)......but after having so many annoying telemarketers calling during my rest time and dinner, I decided to give it a try. In October I called and registered my phone number. I am thrilled with the results!! I have received maybe 5 calls since then, whereas before I would get that many every week.:)

totallyhip
January 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
You know I was worried at first too. But I did put my number on there. An now nobody calls us!!! :eek: hahaha wonder why we even have a home phone anymore :rolleyes:

just kidding.....I do like the fact that the phone solicitors call no more.

Cathy1
January 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I put my number on there also and have not been getting the phone calls that I was getting. Now we have been getting more people coming to the door selling than before and they will not quit coming around until I talk to them.

sugarcatmom
January 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I put my # on the list when it was first set up and now all my telemarketing calls come from the U.S. :rolleyes: Although they have at least diminished somewhat.

Love4himies
January 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I added my name just after that list became available, I get just as many calls as before. :frustrated:

TacoGrl
January 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I added both my numbers to the list and I am getting way too many calls now! Not only on my landline, but no one has my cell number, yet after putting it on the list, I am getting calls every day! I feel so stupid for falling for it!!! :wall:

I guess avoiding any of the governments' "bright ideas" is best...unless you are forced to by law, I won't fall for it again.

I do think the "do call" idea is a good one though! :thumbs up

Karin
January 24th, 2009, 11:22 PM
It works great here in the US, both my cell & home line is registered.

Maybe Canada is still working out the bugs with the system. When it first started here, they asked for people registering to give 90 days for their names to be added to the list, now it's 30 days.
I haven't had to buy a new phone in years, due to tossing one across the room and smashing it.

Joeyjoejoe
January 25th, 2009, 03:27 AM
It works great here in the US, both my cell & home line is registered.

Maybe Canada is still working out the bugs with the system. When it first started here, they asked for people registering to give 90 days for their names to be added to the list, now it's 30 days.
I haven't had to buy a new phone in years, due to tossing one across the room and smashing it.

The two programs are nearly identical. But here are a few differences:

-FTC has actually fined companies in the millions. CRTC has not.

-I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there is an approval process to download the DNC list in the US. In Canada, anyone that pays the fee can download it.

-The main reason is the scammers that target Canadians are primarily located in the US. They are not overseas as there are too many barriers: higher long distance charges, language/accent barriers, time differences.

Let's just use some simple math to explain why this is a much larger problem for Canadians than Americans. Let's say there are 300 million people in US and 30 million in Canada. If scammers make up 0.01% of the population of both the US and Canada. Then there are 30,000 US scammers attacking Canada and 3,000 Canadian scammers attacking the US. This works out to: 1 US scammer for every 1,000 Canadians and 1 Canadian scammer for every 100,000 Americans. So Canadians are 100 times more likely to get a scammer calling them. Using real data, it works out to about 84 times more likely that a Canadian will get a US scammer calling them then a US resident getting called by Canadian scammers.

This is a huge problem that the CTRC did not address when developing the DNC list. But really the only solution for this is a North American Do Not Call list where the FTC and CRTC work jointly in tracking down complaints and fining offending parties. Both federal governments need to get involved too.

kanis
January 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Though our land line has fewer calls, my cell phone gets more! :evil:

Karin
January 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Though our land line has fewer calls, my cell phone gets more! :evil:

You may want to register your cell number again, I got a new cell through my company in July with a promo coupon and once I turned that coupon in..I was fair game again. My cell company themselves added my number to the list....and I haven't had not nary a call.
My phones are peaceful!

happycats
January 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I was leary of the DNCL last September (I am a natural skeptic)......but after having so many annoying telemarketers calling during my rest time and dinner, I decided to give it a try. In October I called and registered my phone number. I am thrilled with the results!! I have received maybe 5 calls since then, whereas before I would get that many every week.:)

I too added my home and cell #'s and am thrilled with the results! I think it works great, and I'm glad I did it, the call's have pretty much stopped :thumbs up