Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need advise on Twisted Cats

Pat in NH
January 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Last year I inherited my neighbors cat. Her very short front front legs are bent inward at her elbows, and her back legs are different lengths. She pulls herself along as if on forearms and swings her higher backside for momentum. This cat is 18 years old. She screams at the highest decible I can hear before ringing sets in. This is not "Meow-ing" this is screaching. It's humorous because she's only 5 pounds and you'd think there was a cheetah in the room. She's a little powerhouse, unbelievable as to jumping up on anything, or getting down steep stairs, or chasing away every other cat in the house. I can't help wondering if she's in pain because of this screeching each time I pick her up or whenever she sees me walk by her bed. I don't understand her physiology and want to make her comfortable. Any advise or experience passed along would be greatly appreciated.

14+kitties
January 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Did she do this at her old home or is this something new she has started since you inherited her? Did the neighbour have other cats?
It is quite possible she is just voicing her displeasure to the disruption of what was her life.
When was the last time she was at the vets? I am sure s/he would be able to have some sort of idea if kitty is in pain. If she is 18 she must be used to getting around the way she does. Maybe something else is bothering her.

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Do you know what caused the twisting? Has she been this way since birth or did it develop over time? Maybe she needs pain meds for arthritis, although it sounds like she gets around well. She might just be missing your neighbor and being vocal about it, but I think a vet evaluation might be a good start at figuring out what's going on.

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
14+ types faster than hazel :laughing:

14+kitties
January 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM
14+ types faster than hazel :laughing:

:p :D sorry!!

sugarcatmom
January 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I agree about the vet visit. She likely does have at least some arthritis, given that 80-90% of cats over the age of 12 do. Even if she doesn't need pain meds (which are tricky for cats, since most have some serious side-effects), she could probably use some supplements like glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM.

As for the screeching, how is her hearing?

Love4himies
January 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I am wondering too what the vet has to say and would she/he would be best able to answer your question about being in pain. I would like to add a couple more questions: How is her hearing? Do you know what her previous home life was like, ignored, neglected, slight abuse?

Some cats can be quite vocal and she may be just communicating with you.

Love4himies
January 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I see sugarcatmom typed faster than me :laughing:.

sugarcatmom
January 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I see sugarcatmom typed faster than me :laughing:.

:laughing: Usually it's the other way around!

Pat in NH
January 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
My neighbors used to leave this little 5 pound twisted cat outside all the time. She has had upwards of 12 litters of kittens in her lifetime. Before last winter set in she decided herself to come live at my house. I'd carry her home, and she'd hobble right back to me. This weekend I was talking to the little girls who lived with her, they mentioned that she used to sit on the window box outside their kitchen and holler to be let in, and I remembered we used to hear her all the way over at my house! While I was visiting I realized these kids are so loud I could hardly hear myself think! So I believe she's so loud as a survival technique. If she screamed loud enough maybe they'd take her inside, or not step on her, or maybe if she wanted to be heard she had to scream louder than these 6 kids! She's on thyroid medication now, so she has regular vet visits and He thinks she's hysterical. He agrees she may be in some discomfort, but he says some cats just demand being heard and he believes she is one of those cats. Thanks so much for helping me work it out. Five minutes in my neighbors house had me screaming too!

Love4himies
January 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
:laughing::laughing: The vet could be right. Some kitties are very demanding :laughing:

I am so glad you took this kitty in. Sounds like she is so much better off with you.