Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! I think she has expired!!

Apainta
January 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Ahh... I'm at my wits end with my baby girl! She smells like she is rotten!! I give baths and that works for a day sometimes two but then it is back to stinky Ruby. She loves to cuddle and I love cuddling with my 50 pound lap lab/pitt but she is so stinky I almost can't deal with it. We have tried scented shampoo but it irritates her super dry skin. We have also tried a doggie deoderant spray but that just mixes the stink and the spray scent. Does anyone have advice on stinky dogs?
Thanks!!!

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Have you had her skin evaluated by a vet? She may have a yeast infection or some other skin condition. :shrug:

If her skin is superdry, she probably shouldn't be bathed much, if at all during the dry winter months. Bathing tends to dry out the skin.

Stacer
January 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Where is the stink coming from? her ears? her nether regions?

If it's her skin, have you tried oil supplements to condition her skin? Cold fish oils, virgin coconut oil amongst others can help greatly with skin problems, especially in winter.

Maybe even a change in diet might do the trick. What do you feed her right now?

pitgrrl
January 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Like others have suggested, I would have a vet check that there is no skin or ear infection happening.

If everything everything is found to be healthy, I'd then look at what you're feeding. Diet can have a big effect on what a dog smells like and, quite frankly, if a dog smells bad, something isn't right.

dustybird
January 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Ditto to what others have said and..
What does the smell, smell like? If it's not the ears and the skin checks out fine by the vet I would have some blood work done(general health profile to start). Some conditions can affect how an animal smells, I know if the ketones are high there can be a strong almost chemical like smell(don't know how to really describe it).

chico2
January 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Expired in my book means someone has died,I am glad that is not the case:confused:

pitgrrl
January 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Just another thought, have a look at her mouth as well. Rotting teeth (which can sometimes be happening under the gum line) can lead to some pretty nasty breath.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
there is a condition! I FORGET what it is called that can make an animal smell, excreting toxins, maybe with the liver?? get the vet to do some bloodwork, there should be a reason if it is that bad, cuz REALLY smelly dogs is not a normal thing, GOOD luck with the doggie!! she proly doesn't like it, she knows she smells and u don't want her to be close, otherwise what do u feed her? and everyone else has said good things.. and infected ear can be VERY stinky too... take care!

Winston
January 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Just wondering if she is yeasty? some dogs get yeast infections and I beleive a high quality food would help with that. Have you had any skin scrapings done to confirm there are not problems?