Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Elevated dishes?

Sib.HuskyMom
January 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I was just hoping to get a general idea of whether or not people think elevated dishes are a good thing?
I had a raised food and water dish for my old dog, which I got him when he turned 12. He never had problems with the flat dishes, but I just figured it would make things a little easier on him and he seemed to like it.

I'm now using those same raised dishes for my Sibes, thinking I was doing a great thing for them, so they don't have to bend over and whatnot.

But I was just reading up a little bit on bloat, and some sites are saying that raised dishes can actually be a bad thing and help contribute to the problem. :shrug:

Now I'm just totally confused. What does everyone else think? I want to do what's best for my boys, I'm just not sure what that is anymore :confused:

Malahoot
January 24th, 2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/Health/bloat-raised-dishes-article.htm

I did research that info further years ago and decided not to use raise dishes with my Mals (my reasoning at the time I can't even recall now lol)... I think the thought was that it is not the natural way they eat so they intake more air. At the time I also discovered that kibble preserved with Vit C and soaked too long was likely to start to ferment, also increasing bloat risk.

totallyhip
January 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I thought about it years ago too for Luke. Then I read about Bloat. I didnt' end up getting one plus we started feeding raw. But I did notice the other day that they have to bend down really low to drink their water...so I did put their water bowl on a small stool. I don't know if the bloat affects the water intake too or just food.

diandpat
January 24th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I have ended up with both dogs with elevated bowls. Hobo (9ish shihtzu/wheaten mix) has back problems and when he has a flare up he can't bend over to eat so I presume that it puts stress on that level of his back at all times so I elevated his bowl. touch wood...no flare ups in three years :thumbs up

With Ginger (14.5 yr old golden) having vestibular disease last year she was having balance problems and often fell over eating so I elevated her bowls. When she seemed "better" I put her bowls back down but she kept wretching so I elevated them again and all seems fine.

I don't believe either of my dogs are "prone" to bloat and the long-term benefits for both outweigh the possibility...FOR US.

Bina
January 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
My tall Airedale had an elevated dish......my Labrador (food pig) had her dish on the floor.
They both did very well, no bloat, and lived long.
Those huskies are beautiful.

Sylvie
January 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I have used elevated dishes for about 20 years and have not had any trouble with bloat. Right now all 4 of my guys eat out of elevated dishes and they are 11, 11 and 7, 7 years old. No problems with bloat yet :D

Your dogs look beautiful :lovestruck:

clm
January 25th, 2009, 01:50 AM
We use elevated dishes for Baxter and Bentley and our first dog Freddie too. Our last dog, Yogi, used to lay down to eat so no elevated dishes for him.:laughing:

Cindy:

Sib.HuskyMom
January 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
I think that I'm going to stick with the elevated dishes. I know that huskies aren't really "prone" to bloat anyway, plus they really seem to like them.

Thanks again. I feel a little better :)