Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This question goes to anyone with 2+ pets

Joeyjoejoe
January 22nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
I posted this elsewhere and only Hazel responded, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Do people (family, friends, vet, etc) that meet your pets, tell you which of your pets they like more and why? Even though you never asked for their opinion.

It happens to me a lot. Recently, I had three friends over and instead of watching the Raptor game, they were in a heated debate over which cat they liked more. Here's a list of some their talking points:

Kyuubi -super soft fur, has the 'Garfield' appeal (chubby, lazy), goofy, makes 'Tribble' (Star Trek reference) noises, photogenic

Azrael -very affectionate, playful, athletic, freckles (on his nose), graceful, smart

I've even been keeping a score sheet... 18 people prefer Kyuubi, but Azrael is only one point behind at 17!

But really, why do people do this?

Stacer
January 22nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
I've never had anyone admit to liking one of my pets over the others. We have 2 cats and a dog, some people prefer dogs to cats and vice versa, that would be the only reason for someone to like one of my pets over the others.

Although sometimes I like Finn more than Angus cause she doesn't pee outside the litterbox :D

mummummum
January 22nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I have three dogs. During their "puppydom", my nieces declared their preference between the grrrl's pretty much immediately. I've never quite figured out the match they made. And to this day, if I say to Bridie, " X niece is coming today" she will get very excited whereas Ceili is waggy but not crazy-happy until I say " Y niece is coming too". Then she clears the tables.

When I got my boy, everybody was afraid of him ~which is funny to me since he's the sweet, gentle scaredy-cat one.

I've often wondered the same thing myself. :shrug: But hey, we don't choose who we fall in love with either do we?

ownedbycats
January 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
I haven't been keeping score (although I like the idea, I should start), but people do show a definite preference. I noticed it most with the kittens when people were deciding whichone they wanted to take home. The one kitten I thought would go first, is the one nobody really even looked at. The two black kittens who I thought were really nice, but didn't have any eye catching markings or obviously-endearing- at-first- glance- tricks
went quicker than the more strikingly marked and obviously friendly kittens.
It does happen with our permanent pets too.

clm
January 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
None of my family members have made it known if they have a preference to any of my cats or dogs. My neighbours never see the inside cats, but they love both the dogs and have never made it known if they prefer one or the other.

Cindy

Rottielover
January 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
Yup I have many of my friends that comment, but what matters most is what I feel about them. I love them all equally :)

Spatx
January 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I get comments, but it makes sense to me why people always choose Nova over Cody.. I love them both equally though. :lovestruck:

Nova in a nutshell - happy to see anyone, anywhere. Loves attention and thinks all people are awesome. :laughing:

Cody is extremely wary of strangers, he doesn't like to be petted by anyone other than his immediate family. He's overprotective of the house, and is known to nip (has bitten my veterinarian before). He is afraid of men, and despises children... So most people I meet don't ever get to know the real Cody. Those who see him off-leash at the park or in his flyball classes get a much better appreciation for what a great boy he really is. I wish others could see as well. :shrug:

ancientgirl
January 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I don't get a whole lot of company, but what bit I get have made their choices of favorites known. My niece and nephew love playing with Vlad and Kiska. They are the most outgoing ones really, so when I get company they are the ones who will play more.

One of my friends who has dogs of her own, has always said Vlad was her favorite. She then will correct herself and say she likes Oksana too, but Oksana isn't friendly and since Vlad is so outgoing with strangers she loves that.

I tell her, Oksana is friendly, in her own way.:laughing:

Maks hides the second he hears knocking. I've had him over a year and a half and my dad just noticed him the other day (in a rare move by Maks, he actually came down the stairs), prompting him to ask me "You got another cat?" LOL, I said, "No he just hides, along with the other one."

The other hider is Czarina, but she will now and then edge her way down stars.

Oksana doesn't hide, but she is cautious and will "observe" from a safe distance. When my dad comes over now, she'll come and sit next to him and stare and then sniff at his feet.

Kiska is much more outgoing and will investigate new people.

Vlad, well what can I say, he's the welcoming committee, so to me it's normal that people will say they prefer him most. They see him as being the friendliest. I will say however, there have been times when I've asked Miguel to go into my apartment, to move something for me, and he's told me that Vlad has hissed and growled at him. My boy is smart, he knows mommy isn't home and nobody is supposed to be there without her.:D

Mat&Murph
January 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
I get people liking Matt alittle more then Murphy cause Matt is such a nut!! He is crazy in a good way and he makes people laugh. Murphy is more serious though he is happy to see everyone. It is pretty close.
It doesn't matter to me. I love them for their differences. :lovestruck:

diandpat
January 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I have a golden and a shihtzu/wheaten mix and during walks most people will come up to pet Ginger, the golden. I supposed it is because she is bigger and then don't have to bend over :shrug: When it is kids who do it I always remind them that Hobo likes to be pet too. I then ask how they would feel if I only got excited to see their sister/brother and not them? That usually gets the point across :laughing::laughing::laughing:

In the "off leash" woods, people definitely have a favorite but it is equally either Ginger or Hobo. One is big and one is tiny but they are both cute, in different ways.

I had always wanted a second golden and ended up with a terrier X...who knew I would fall so deeply in love with him too :lovestruck:

Luvmypitgirls
January 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
For me it's when people come over and express why they don't like one of my pets, instead of which one they like more.
I have a friend, who is constantly running my male Rotti Kato down. She has nothing nice to say about him, she claims it's because he is intimidating. Intimidating? He has never snarled, growled, bared his teeth, snapped or bit her. He's a big boy, but he has never jumped on her. He has shown no aggression towards her whatsoever.
She'll call to say she's coming over, and to lock up the "beast", or the "monster" or, and this is the one that really p!sses me off, "the big vicious dog". Kato is not vicious.
Lately, when she calls and says she wants to come over for coffee, I've been making excuses as to why it isn't a good time, so she won't come.
She has no problem with my pitgirls, but her hatred for Kato is unjustified and I find it insulting.
She has a cat, that has scratched me, bit me, swipes at me when the opportunity arises, one day I said to her, "Hey! Your cat just bit me, she's vicious!" She got into a snit and didn't talk to me for two weeks lol.

Mat&Murph
January 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
For me it's when people come over and express why they don't like one of my pets, instead of which one they like more.
I have a friend, who is constantly running my male Rotti Kato down. She has nothing nice to say about him, she claims it's because he is intimidating. Intimidating? He has never snarled, growled, bared his teeth, snapped or bit her. He's a big boy, but he has never jumped on her. He has shown no aggression towards her whatsoever.
She'll call to say she's coming over, and to lock up the "beast", or the "monster" or, and this is the one that really p!sses me off, "the big vicious dog". Kato is not vicious.
Lately, when she calls and says she wants to come over for coffee, I've been making excuses as to why it isn't a good time, so she won't come.
She has no problem with my pitgirls, but her hatred for Kato is unjustified and I find it insulting.
She has a cat, that has scratched me, bit me, swipes at me when the opportunity arises, one day I said to her, "Hey! Your cat just bit me, she's vicious!" She got into a snit and didn't talk to me for two weeks lol.
Some people get that way with the boys too cause of their size. I just blow them off

ancientgirl
January 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM

Wow. I don't know how good a friend she is, but I'd be inclined to say "Don't come over, the dog isn't being locked up." Or maybe when you go to her house you should say "I'm coming over, lock the cat up."

My brother used to be afraid of Vlad. He'd be using my computer and Vlad would go and sit on the monitor and my brother would say "Hey look where he's at." I'd say "Yeah, and?" Him, "What if he scratches at me or attacks me." Me. "He's not going to attack you. Just don't make any sudden moves. I'm kidding, look he's not going to do anything to you, he likes people. Leave him alone and he'll leave you alone."

That was it. My brother comes over and he actually played with Vlad last time. People are stupid and they need us to educate them. I don't put my cats anywhere when people come over. The only time I've ever had to put them in the bathroom or their carriers is when I was moving some stuff into my apartment, and it was for their safety. Other than that, it's their home and I find it unfair for them to be "put out" in such a way.

pitgrrl
January 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Almost everybody that meets the dogs loves Basil and totally ignores Streets. I kind of understand this, because Basil's a huge slut and Streets is a little more reserved, but he's actually the sweetest dog one could ever hope to meet and Basil (though I love him to death) can be a bit of an a**, so sometimes I get a bit sad for the little dude. At least the Streets fans are a dedicated bunch, so it kind of makes up for the lack of quantity :laughing:

The thing I find really annoying is that people constantly try to make me admit I like one dog better than the other. It's always something like "don't worry, I won't tell anyone, but you like Basil/Streets a little better, right?":frustrated:

ancientgirl
January 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
The thing I find really annoying is that people constantly try to make me admit I like one dog better than the other. It's always something like "don't worry, I won't tell anyone, but you like Basil/Streets a little better, right?":frustrated:

It's like asking someone which one of their kids they love more.

I love all of mine equally, they also have such different personalities and qualities that I adore.

onster
January 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
hmm weeelll

Bunduk will always have a special place in my heart, we bonded quite strongly when he was living in my room (separated from Onnie). I really think he thinks Im his mom. So if i were being brutally honest, he is my 'special one'.

Onnie is a lovebug but he doesnt often go to me for affection, he really seems to love males. IN loooooove with my youngest bro. Prefers mom over me. This is all very ironic bc bunduk was supposed to be lil bro's cat and Onnie mine.

Mom love them both to pieces.

Lil bro prefers Onnie because he doesnt eat his stuff :D

Visitors tend to have a love at first sight with Bunduk because he is just sooo cute. Onnie wins them over with his headbutts tho :lovestruck: whereas bunduk just wants to sniff their shoes and eat their laces :evil::laughing:

onster
January 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
oh and bunduk practically nursed from me :eek::crazy::crazy: hahaha he spent his first few months suckling my ear to fall asleep :lovestruck:

krdahmer
January 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
I love all my furbabies.... but visitors tend to favour the tuxedo boys... mainly because they come bounding to the door to greet people just like puppies. And love to leap into laps too for pets... and well once you've had one of Buddy's special head butts you're hooked!:cloud9: (Plus Windy tends to slap intruders... she's a mommy's girl!:lovestruck:) But the ones who come often and know them, know how special each and every one of them is.

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I love all my furbabies.... but visitors tend to favour the tuxedo boys... mainly because they come bounding to the door to greet people just like puppies. And love to leap into laps too for pets... and well once you've had one of Buddy's special head butts you're hooked!:cloud9: (Plus Windy tends to slap intruders... she's a mommy's girl!:lovestruck:) But the ones who come often and know them, know how special each and every one of them is.

Really? Mmmm, I loved all of your kitties. Didn't really notice a huge difference. But I do like Fagan's looks. Personality wise...... I will take 'em all!!

pieperd
January 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
We've had remarks too. One person in particular called my overweight dog a "sausage" everytime she saw her. It is quite annoying, and not sure why someone would do such a thing.

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
I think people tend to prefer the pet that is outgoing and personable over the ones who hide and shy away.
In my house........ no, not even going there. Too many to go through.

Jim Hall
January 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
well everyone loves manda cause she so sute and friendly

but my special place in my herat is for DU cause she is so pretty and so uncomplaining also because i know what her life was like and how hard it was for her to be unafraid

so though i love amanda Du will be forever my special one

aslan
January 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
yup i get it all the time, all 3 of the boys have their own fan clubs, even on here people have a fav. We joke around that we could rehome them no problem.:D

Masha
January 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have a similar problem; instead of my friends arguing about who they like best, they start quizing me about who i like best... and when i say i love them both equal, they go 'nah, cant be, comon who do you like more'.... its getting annoying sometimes... to me they are my kids.. you would never ask someone to pick favourites with kids...

JanM
January 23rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Interesting - I've found that people always remember Bobby and greet him like a long lost friend and they inevitably ask (referring to Amber) "what's her name again?" And this is from people who may have only met them once or twice!

angeldogs
January 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
I've never had that problem.the only comment i ever got was about the size difference and how they get along.as the person that asked knew wiems usually don't like smaller dogs and cats.or who i liked best.

I do think i would get very annoyed if i was always asked which one i liked best.

erykah1310
January 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Here everyone ( women) like Kita best, and they are quite vocal on it.
Men like Karma best, Kids like Bailey best.
No one really seems to like Meiko, but he is a strange boy and really has the temperament and attitude that only a mother could love.
As for our cats... well most people don't even know we have Mia because she hides when people come over, and its not rare to not see her for days if the stay is extended. She does her stuff in the dark when no one can see her.
Mr.Floyd is the crowd pleaser here but thats because he is the strangest cat known to man. If you walk in his house and sit down, You MUST accept him sitting on you and pet him. He comes when called which really pleases most people.
Cheese Croissant is making his presence here known as well, people are having a hard time keeping up their love for Floyd going as strong, as he now has competition.
But Cheesie also is quite vocal so he eventually drives people nuts.

They all have their place with us as a family and really thats all that matters to me, I personally don't really care what others think of my furbabies, as long as we love them like we do it doesn't matter to me.

Joeyjoejoe
January 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
It's good to know other people have this "problem".... I was starting to think that my friends and family are opinionated loud mouths!:D

Even my vet proclaimed loudly that Kyuubi was his favorite... but Kyuubi was also the model patient while Azrael was difficult in every way (wouldn't sit still on the scale, threw up the pill the vet gave him, and gave deep scratch wounds to both the vet and aide after getting a shot).