Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two More Dogs Shocked By Stray Electricity, This Time In Yorkville

Diamondsmum
January 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_31234.aspx

It's happened again, but thankfully this time there have been no fatalities.

Two dogs were shocked by stray electricity in Yorkville on Wednesday night, apparently after walking with wet paws over an electrified metal hydro sidewalk plate.

Two dogs died in recent months, electrocuted by faulty hydro equipment in the Keele and Annette area.

That sparked a city wide sweep for trouble spots, as dog owners expressed their concerns and outrage.

Toronto Hydro told CityNews on Wednesday night that the latest incidents fall under the responsibility of the Yorkville Business Improvement Area, and that it's their equipment that is faulty, not Toronto Hydro's.

growler~GateKeeper
January 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
A dog can also get shocked if they pee on a charged metal lamp/light pole etc.


In 2002 a Vancouver Police Dog very well respected (even by criminals, some giving up immediately upon seeing this dog :D) and a top criminal catcher was also electrocuted (240 volts) from walking on a charged metal plate. His handle also got a jolt while moving him to safety, he then gave CPR resuscitation to his dog who was clinically dead before he and another member started CPR, they were able to get him to a vet quickly. The dog made a fully recovery, continued on his career earning the title of Canadian Police Dog Champion in 2007, he just retired in 2008. :D

mummummum
January 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
The freaky thing is that the fellow from Hydro who spoke on CBC says the electrical charges are loose and even when they clear the sewers and water lines of electricity, the electrical charges can come back.

This is definitely a new one on me. Spooky weird.