Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raja going to the vet today

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 10:34 AM
Well Raj is going back to the vet today for a re-check on her ears. I hope they are finally infection-free and un-irritated! I have stopped using the Revlon Outrageous Shampoo on her because of it's strong perfume, per his request. Now that I think about that, it's a real forehead-slapper! I mean, just because it doesn't irritate her skin doesn't mean it's not irritating her ears! (Can I blame this on my haircolor, please? Comes in handy).
The only thing I'm worried about is this- yesterday she was playing with a little pomeranian (yeah, hilarious to watch). Mostly Raj would just lay down and the pom would attack her head and Raj would growl playfully and throw her head around. After about an hour of play, the pom's owner told me she had earmites! ARRRRRRGH! Aren't they terribly contagious? Don't they transfer easily from one pet to another? I'm scared to death that Raj might have just traded one malady for another! Infection gone- replaced by ear mites!
If I knew my dog had mites, I wouldn't have her around other pets. Common caution/courtesty. But maybe I'm wrong about them being able to pass from one to another? Do tell.

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 12:25 PM
Hope Raja's ears are as pretty as her face :D

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 01:02 PM
Ok, just got back from the vet, and this is what I was told:

1. Only a teeny bit of infection left, no need for oral antibiotics, continue
topical antibiotic until finished

2. "Raja is not starving any more, Sadie.....*hint hint*"

3. "In 25 years of practice, I've only seen TWO cases of ear mites in dogs
in this area. She did not catch ear mites from that pom, and its likely
that the owner of the pom has diagnosed ear mites on her own. Might
not even have them"

4. "Don't make me medicate you haha...."

Thanks, Laura and Luba.

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 01:04 PM
LOL, you're so funny!! Glad that everything's working out with Raja's ears!! Wouldn't want you to have to crop them... :rolleyes: Briggs sends kisses!!! :p

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 01:13 PM
HAHAHAH what kind of meds did he have? Anything u can sell on the streets to some strays HAHA!

Great stuff, junk the oral antibiotics and now go to the store and fill up your cart on plain yogurt for Raja's snack :D you must you must you must increase her (bad thoughts) healthy bacteria!!!

I knew what u were thinking :p

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 02:43 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, you knew what I was thinking alright!

Can Raj have flavored yogurt? She prefers strawberry/kiwi and vanilla. (I don't even know if she will eat the plain).
Thanks for reminding me to rebuild her healthy bacteria.

*Big sloppy kiss back to Briggs, from Raj*

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 05:10 PM
You know what's funny? I work a lady whose name is Raisa - but the "fun creative" way she spells it is Raja!! Just an interesting tidbit... Do you pronounce it R-eye-a?

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 07:35 PM
No, the "J" in Raja is pronounced like the "zh" in "Dr. Zhivago". Somewhere between an 'sh' and a 'j' sound.

The 'a's are as in "open your mouth and say AWWWWWWWW" LOL
:D

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 07:37 PM
No, the "J" in Raja is pronounced like the "zh" in "Dr. Zhivago". Somewhere between an 'sh' and a 'j' sound.

The 'a's are in "open your mouth and say AWWWWWWWW" LOL
:D

Raww-shj-aww? LOL!!! See I would have just assumed that it was the same, glad I asked!! :D

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 07:54 PM
Okay I don't have to tell atlease (1) of you.. it's pronounced SAY-Dee? lmfho

The yogurt with the fruit in it is sometimes soaked with sugars so I'm not so sure it's a good idea unless it's organic yogurt. :confused:

Sneaky2006
July 31st, 2004, 07:58 PM
Is it the same way you pronounce Raja in Aladdin? The tiger?
I'm not sure if cats are the same as dogs with ear mites but one of my cats had them. The others didn't get them and they are very close.

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 08:01 PM
Okay I don't have to tell atlease (1) of you.. it's pronounced SAY-Dee? lmfho

HA HA, you're a funny one - you should try out for last comic standing!! :p

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 08:03 PM
I didn't find last time the comics were all that good though, they rarely made me laugh doing stand up. They did make me laugh with the stupid things they pulled on eachother living together but thats it!

My mom makes me laugh more :p

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Exactly, Sammie! Same pronounciation.

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 08:08 PM
LOL I got it!!! :D

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 08:18 PM
Regarding the yogurt......I guess I could get plain and mix it in with her food. :(

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 08:19 PM
Sounds good to me :D