Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How should I train my dog

htsource
January 21st, 2009, 10:09 PM
Our Bebe is 8 months old, got her from a pet store when she was 4 months old. She's a lovely Pomeranian.

She's very attached to me and here are some issues :confused:

a) when I'm in the kitchen with her, she would bite my ankle or anything in order to get my attention. She knows the only way to get my 100% attention is to bite me, so I have to do something!! I tried punishing her by throwing her into the crate, but she doesn't seem to get it. When she comes out, she'd be doing the same thing again. Even I yelled at her and nothing seems to work. Once I pick her up around my arm, she would then lick my hand and my face to death.

b) when she's bored, she would find spots in the kitchen to bite. I have sprayed "bitter apple" around furniture, but she seems to always find a spot not sprayed. I have actually seen her looking for spots with her big eyes and seriously turning her head slowly. She seems to know where to go!

c) she argues with me a lot. If I yell at her, she would bark at me. It's like having a conversation, I should have taped it.

She listens to me though with various commands and she learn fast. In order for us to give her a treat, sometimes she would do all the tricks at once if she gets impatience, otherwise she would listen and do her trick when we call for it. I think she's very smart, or too smart!!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get rid of her bad habit of bitting my foot.

babymomma
January 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
Its never surprises me when I hear "I bought my dog t a petstore" And "She has some issues" In the same paragraph:rolleyes:

My way of training is like this.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER use negetive reinforcment like Throwing her in a crate or yelling. SHe probably dont even know what your yelling about, just that your yelling. If sombody were yelling at you, wouldnt you yell back?:rolleyes:lol

Ignoring a dog is the worst punishment EVER. When she nips. Honestly, i would either squirt her with a water bottle with a few drops of lemon juice. Or if your gutsy. Ignore her, She knows that you are going to give her attention if she nips you. So dont do it. She will get the message.

Never use the crate as a punishment. She will associate going into the crate with her being "punished" Even when she isnt being punished. Like if she sleeps in her crate, or is crated during the day, she will think negetivly of the experiance.

Another thing. IS she getting excersize? She should be getting bored. Even though shes a small dog, she STILL needs excersize. My yorkie woulf kill me if i didn tgive her, her excersize..lol.. Beleive it or not, these small dogs have had a purpose. And they still need to be worked. Get her a kong and stuff it with goodies. That will occupy her for a while. Walk her at LEAST 20 mins a day. And play fetch in/outside the house for 10-15 minutes.

I cannot strees the fact that yelling at her is NOT going to help, enough!
YOu may even make her more unstable by doing so! watch some episodes of "Dog whisperer" on national geographic. Ive learned so much just by watching the show!

Good luck..

And dont "throw" her in the crate, she has tiny little bines that can easily be broken;) (I know you probably werent serious about throwing her)

babymomma
January 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
OH and, Dont forget to praise her like a crazy person when she does something good!

htsource
January 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thank you for your advise, I don't mean throwing her in the crate. Usually just quickly grab her with my both hands and put her inside. I'll try to use a spray bottle next time.

I play with her quite a bit inside (it's too cold out) with a few toys. She loves playing and don't get me wrong, I love her a lot. She was actually napping in my lap when I typed this. She goes pretty much wherever I go.

Yes, she gets rewarded when she does something good.

htsource
January 21st, 2009, 10:33 PM
Here's my other post when she got spayed. I've posted some pics of her.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59506

tenderfoot
January 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Your dog is in charge! She 'back talks' you when you correct her. She demands your attention with her teeth and she destroys things when shes bored.

Poms are super smart and need lots of jobs to do to keep them busy, connected and tired. Exercise is important to everyone but should not be the reason your dog has good manners. I don't want my dog to be good because he is physically exhuasted - I want him to be good because he knows better and respects my words. Mental workouts are far more tiring than physical ones and they benefit your dogs mind, behavior and relationship to you.

Tossing her in the crate avoids teaching her and it makes the crate a negative place. Yes, it can give you a much needed break but it doesn't teach her a thing. Dogs aren't like kids who think "darn, if I hadn't back talked mom I wouldn't be locked in my room - guess I'll be nice next time". Dogs live in the heartbeat of the moment. Correct the behavior or reward the behavior when it is happening and then go right back to what you were doing and give the dog another chance to make a better choice.

Yelling only leads to more yelling. Dogs really don't care about loudness as much as they care about tone. Learn to change your tones. Nice tone for directions like sit, stay, down, come. Whisper (no tone AT ALL) for praise - whispers are very powerful - they are warm, friendly and inviting. Firm, abrupt tones for corrections. Your tones need to change in order for your dog to feel the difference in your meanings. Loudness only begets more loudness.

Bitter apple can work but many dogs love it. It does not teach her what is hers to chew and what is not. We want you to teach her right from wrong not 'good' taste or 'bad' taste. All things belong to you and there are a few items (dog toys) that you will share with her. You need to teach her what things she is permitted to put her mouth on and the rest is off limits.