Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are we going to confuse her?

erin_e_123
January 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
My boyfriend and I are going to pick up the new addition to our family in a few weeks, a GSD, 8 weeks old! We are both really excited and have heard that GSD really need a good foundation for training, so we have already signed her up for puppy classes. We have already decided that my boyfriend is going to be the "Alpha" in our pack, but he thinks it's a good idea if I take her to the classes so she will learn to listen to me as well. I'm just concerned that this is going to confuse her, because if I try to practice the training at home, won't she get the idea that I'm the Alpha, even though by bf is trying to be as well? Can anyone give me any insight on this? Thanks!

jessi76
January 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
it's great to hear you've signed up for classes! how exciting! I think it's best for you BOTH to attend the classes. That's how I did it w/ my fiance... we both went, so we could both learn the techniques, see the techniques in action, ask questions, etc... I was the "handler" but we both went to every class. don't worry about designating who's "alpha" just as long as the pup knows he's not the top of the totem pole.

as for at home practice, you should BOTH use and practice the techniques you learn in class EVERY DAY.

good luck, congrats, and we expect pics!!!

pitgrrl
January 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM
I have to agree with jessi76, you should both be consistent with how you're training your puppy, so either going to the class together if possible or at least communicating what you've learned to the other person is the way to go.

I also wouldn't really about who gets the label of "House Alpha", just be fair and consistent in your training and your dog will learn how to have an appropriate relationship to her humans.

allymack
January 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
I also wouldn't really about who gets the label of "House Alpha", just be fair and consistent in your training and your dog will learn how to have an appropriate relationship to her humans.

its really great that you have signed up for classes already, thats such a great first step to take, its shows you have commitment and that you want to work with your pup! :thumbs up

i agree with pitgrrl on this, you dont need to have an 'assigned' house alpha. you both need to practice her training with her every day. also if both of you cant go to the class make sure you clearly explained what you went over in class to the other so you can both be consistent in her training. if your firm but fair, it will take you far. also having just one alpha could be a problem, because she could think that she as more status than the one who isnt alpha. as long as your both higher up in the pack than her, you shouldnt have any problems or atleast have ones that are too hard to work through.

good luck, and we hope you post lots of pictures of your new pup :lovestruck::thumbs up

tenderfoot
January 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
So if you were having a baby would you only have your hubby take parenting classes?

It's really not about who is the 'one' alpha in the house - it is that your four legged should always look to a two legged for advice. Just like a child looks to his/her parents for guidance.

You are just as vital to this dogs life and future as your partner is.

rhartjr
January 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
you both need to practice her training with her every day. also if both of you cant go to the class make sure you clearly explained what you went over in class to the other so you can both be consistent in her training. if your firm but fair, it will take you far. also having just one alpha could be a problem, because she could think that she as more status than the one who isnt alpha. as long as your both higher up in the pack than her, you shouldnt have any problems or atleast have ones that are too hard to work through.

I agree, you both should go to the training classes, mainly for the consistency in training you and your boyfriend will be doing with the puppy. We have myself, my wife and my stepson all raising and training our pup. I'm very vigilant in making sure that we're all on the same page when it comes to her training.

The two most important things in raising a puppy are patience and consistency. Patience will keep you from going nuts and consistency will keep the pup from going nuts.

erin_e_123
January 24th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks so much everyone! As soon as we get her, I will post lots of pics, promise! 2 more weeks!