Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal Glands and wet food

becmonchu
January 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Can anyone tell me if they have this issue with their small dogs with anal gland problems?

Ive cut back on the wet food for my puppy of 10mths down to about 1/2 a can of Merricks per week and only 1 tablespoon mixed with his dry kibble about 1/4 cup. He eats dry kibble in the morning.

I had his glands emptied about 2 weeks ago but wanted to know if I should cut down his wet food even more if this could be the cause of anal glands filling up?

totallyhip
January 21st, 2009, 01:15 PM
We used to take Luke every 2nd month to get them expressed. We switched him to raw food and now it does it naturally. If you dont' want to switch to raw perhaps try some higher quality kibble. I think soft food is too soft and doesn't trigger the anal glands to express.

You might want to try adding a table spoon of 100% pure canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to his food too. It might help

cassyhoof
January 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi, My cassy used to have problems all the time with her anal glands, from about the age of 7 years antil she died a week ago. The vet first suggested we give her bran mixed into her tinned dog food or a slice of brown bread every day, the vet also suggested squeezing her anal gland ourselves, this job is not for the faint hearted though. The vet told us to hold ourfinger and thumb either side of the bum and get our fingers behind the bum then gently sqeeze moving your fingers back and forth to pop the gland, once the gland has popped though be very careful as it comes out quick and the smell will put you off your food that day but it does work alternivately any food high in fibre work just as well to pop the gland eg. brown pasta, brown bread. Try it you'll be amazed at how well this works, we were.

RIP my little cassyhoof :angel2: