Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The ice on the pond isn't as thick as you would think

clm
January 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Little Bentley decided to go for a stroll across the pond this evening, DH was out there with him telling him to get off, and he went through the ice. Of course he was right in the middle of the pond. Poor DH had to lie flat across the ice to grab him and get him out of the water. Bentley was one cold, scared and wet little dog. Poor DH was pretty freaked out too. I was totally unaware, having a bath. Came downstairs to find water everywhere and DH rubbing down the little guy. Thank goodness it wasn't Baxter, he's at least 20 lbs heavier than Bentley and would have been a lot harder to get out of the water.
You would think with us being in the deep freeze for so long the ice would be a lot thicker. I even had to open up a hole this past weekend with buckets of hot water so that the pond would be able to exchange the gas in the water for the fish, but it's a lot thinner than you would believe. Bentley went in no where near where I had opened up the hole.
Now there are two large holes for the fish. :rolleyes: I will worry less about them now, knowing how thin the ice is as well.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Sometimes it's nice to find out about things after the fact, eh? :D

Poor Bentley! How long did it take him to warm up?

clm
January 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Sometimes it's nice to find out about things after the fact, eh? :D

Poor Bentley! How long did it take him to warm up?

Took at least 45 minutes to get him relatively dry and warmed up. Poor little guy, I'm sure that water must be very cold and he doesn't have as thick an undercoat as Baxter. DH is outside with them again right now. He'll be a nervous wreck the rest of the winter now. Lesson learned, the pond will be fenced off next winter.

Cindy

14+kitties
January 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
:eek: Poor Bentley!! I bet he's learned his lesson! Tough one to learn.

clm
January 21st, 2009, 05:33 AM
Yes, you would think he would have learned his lesson, but NOT!. DH said he went right back to check out the hole he had made as soon as he got outside. :wall: With his curiosity, he should have been a cat. :laughing:

Cindy

Love4himies
January 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM
:eek: Oh no, poor Bentley :grouphug:. Doesn't sound like he was too worried if he went back out to check his "damage".

TeriM
January 23rd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yes, you would think he would have learned his lesson, but NOT!. DH said he went right back to check out the hole he had made as soon as he got outside. :wall: With his curiosity, he should have been a cat. :laughing:

Silly dog :rolleyes:. Hope he is recovered from his cold experience :goodvibes:.

ancientgirl
January 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
OMG, thank goodness your hubby was out there with him!

Poor little guy though. Was this the little pond you have behind your house? Didn't he fall in that before?

clm
January 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Yes, he's clumbsy and has fallen in during the summer a few times and Baxter has actually shoved him in a couple of times too:laughing:. He can get out of the pond if he goes in in summer. Winter is a different story. You go through the ice and there's no ledge to climb out on. Much more dangerous. I look forward to when the ice is off the pond for the winter. Judging by the temps out there today, that could be a long while yet.:laughing:

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I'm sure that sudden shock of cold doesn't help either. Hopefully he's all nice and toasty warm, AND has learned from his experience. :D