Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This winter - well it sucks!

Dog Dancer
January 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I've about had enough really! First we had soooo much snow. Spent my entire holiday shovelling (3 times a day - for days and days on end). Then we had the melt and flooding. Lucky for me my house is high and we didn't get wet. With the warmer weather on the snow pack we've had fog for two weeks straight now. Some days you can't see across the road all day it's so thick. And now just for fun - somebody set fire to the bridge I use to commute to work every day!! :yell: I'm afraid to think of what's next... To use an alternate route for what is normally a 20 minute commute to my office is two and a half hours if you can believe it. Just volume from everybody having to reroute to the alternate bridges. So I've been taking the bus and skytrain then walking 15 minutes to my office. Takes me just under an hour, which is fine, I don't mind it at all. Except my office is in a not very nice area at all, so I now leave all my rings and necklaces at home and carry pepper spray with me. And the worst part - I can't take Shadow to work with me when I use transit (at 70 lbs she doesn't fit in my purse). Anybody have a spare service dog vest?? She comes to work every day with me due to her SA. Luckily right now hubby is home sick anyhow, and he can keep her with him and Halo. Halo thinks its great, but Shadow is missing mom. Everybody at work is missing Shadow too, the office isn't the same without her. They're saying four to six weeks before they can fix the bridge :eek: I really hope this is the end of the suckiest winter yet. Had to vent - thanks for listening.

BusterBoo
January 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry to hear things are so rough in BC.....hang in there, the flowers will soon be blooming, although I know in BC they should already be in flower!

(if it helps...Ottawa is in about Day 40 of a city wide bus strike....they are saying it will take 3-4 months once the strike is over to get the buses safety checked and back on the road....

BRING ON SPRING AND SUMMER!!!! :D

Dog Dancer
January 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM
BusterBoo, that must make for gridlock too! Like having to go to work isn't bad enough... Well yeah, some of our tree's do have buds on them, and in a couple weeks I have to start feeding the bee's who will already now be starting to reproduce. But as I type I am listening to the fog horns off the ocean - again. Yeah, I'm ready for this winter to be over.

Melinda
January 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM
so sorry its not going good for you Dogdancer, my son is in ottawa, newly graduated from uni and can't get very far to try for jobs....darn bus strike.....hey I know, come to cornwall for a vacation *L*

pwrca
January 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM
DogDancer, your lucky spring is just around the corner in BC; you could be in Ottawa; tons of snow, damn cold these days, and the Bus strike to boot. We've got another 2 months of this lousy weather crap and from what we read in the news even if the Bus strike is settled, it will be that long till full Bus service is up and running.

God I can hardly wait till spring and life will be wonderful again... :)

chico2
January 21st, 2009, 07:28 AM
I think we all have hadenough of winter,but January is almost over,spring is coming,then a beautiful summer..I can't wait.
The best part of the whole year,is when we can start seeing our gardens come to life:thumbs up
I read about the bridge,the crazies out there never seize to astound me:evil:

Dog Dancer
January 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Yeah I'm lucky we don't have a transit strike too! I guess my biggest problem with the current situation (no bridge) is that I can't bring Shadow to work with me. I miss my girl being under my desk all day! The apprentices at the school keep coming in looking for her, it's just not the same. I believe it was homeless people living under the bridge who started the fire. They live in that spot because there's a very dodgy recycling depot right next door and so they steal things and then sell them next door. It's good to see they're making progress on the bridge though. The old deck is gone now and they're setting up to put in a replacement. With any luck it won't take four to six weeks (hope lives eternal). Good luck to all you folks dealing with the bus strike though. That's a hurting thing too. I'm expecting locusts soon:rolleyes: Melinda I hope your son has good luck in finding a job soon given what he's dealing with.

angeldogs
January 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
DogDancer, your lucky spring is just around the corner in BC; you could be in Ottawa; tons of snow, damn cold these days, and the Bus strike to boot. We've got another 2 months of this lousy weather crap and from what we read in the news even if the Bus strike is settled, it will be that long till full Bus service is up and running.

God I can hardly wait till spring and life will be wonderful again... :)

The bus strike sucks.i had a delivery for them and thought i was going to have to deal with strickers,but it was for the new station or yard they are building off of Industrial Rd and Saint Laurent.

I think most people are sick of this winter already.the only thing i've liked about it i get to use my snowblower.

Dog Dancer
January 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Snowblower - lucky you! I told hubby I want one for Christmas (or earlier) next year. I'll rent it to the neighbours! But in good news finally, they announced today that they may be able to fix the bridge here in two weeks rather than four to six as they thought. Here's hoping!:pray: Shadow does not like being left behind.

growler~GateKeeper
January 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Here's a pic of aforementioned fog taken 14 Jan 09 around 9pm. The traffic lights are less than 1/4 block from where I was standing and the flash was off. Could hardly see a thing half a block away, even the lights were hard to see.

rainbow
January 22nd, 2009, 02:01 AM
What a great picture :cool: ...and WOW is that moon ever bright. :eek:

growler~GateKeeper
January 22nd, 2009, 02:12 AM
That's the street light enhanced by fog ;)

Dog Dancer
January 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Growler, great pic, you must be higher up than where we are. Two days ago I was walking the dogs near our park and I could hear a car coming but couldn't see it! I had to stop and wait for it to show up because the sidewalks weren't cleared and we were walking down the road and I figured if I couldn't even see his headlights he probably couldn't see us either. The car was about three houses down the road before I could see his lights.

rainbow
January 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
That's the street light enhanced by fog ;)

And I bet there wasn't any bats flying around it either. :laughing:

chico2
January 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Growler,great pics!!
Did i tell you I am sick and tired of winter:yell:
Today it was only -1C,but I think I froze more than when it is -10C and of course Bailey has to stop and stick her whole head in to every snow-pile:laughing:
It's kind of humid,the cold goes right through you,especially this old dame.
Meat to add a pic of me....next post,ok

chico2
January 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Here I am:laughing:

angeldogs
January 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Cool pic growler.

Dog Dancer yes i'm lucky to have a snowblower.it was much needed thou.when the plow comes down around the corner i get most of the snow in my driveway so it helps to have it.

Karin
January 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
...ssssshhh! Please don't say the "s" word...we are already pushing our luck down here!

Dog Dancer
January 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hey Chico2, hubby and I both have that cold too. I have to remind him not to sneeze or blow too hard in case he dislodges his new eye lense!!! Oh and there's more snow in the forecast for the weekend here - but it will clear out the fog on the plus side....

growler~GateKeeper
January 22nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Growler, great pic, you must be higher up than where we are. Two days ago I was walking the dogs near our park and I could hear a car coming but couldn't see it! I had to stop and wait for it to show up because the sidewalks weren't cleared and we were walking down the road and I figured if I couldn't even see his headlights he probably couldn't see us either. The car was about three houses down the road before I could see his lights.

Yup :) in the snowbelt of South Bby :D It's a good thing you could hear the car coming :eek:, some of the new hybrids are super super quiet - a real danger to the vision impaired too. :shrug:

And I bet there wasn't any bats flying around it either. :laughing:

Not that I could see :p :laughing:

Cool pic growler.

Thanks I have my camera with me at all times :D

TeriM
January 23rd, 2009, 01:36 AM
I totally agree with this weather sucking :yell:. We still have a mass of frozen snow in our back yard and on our streets. Finding a place to walk the dog is an adventure that always involves slipping and sliding on all the ice :frustrated:. Was over near the Fraser river the other day and walked the dogs on grass for the first time in over a month, Lucy was thrilled :laughing:.

Hope your commuter problems get fixed even earlier :fingerscr and Shadow gets to get back to his regular work schedule :).

Dog Dancer
January 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, we're in Coquitlam so high enough that we still have tons of snow on the side of the roads and fields (and sidewalks that people didn't bother to clear), and of course as it melts it's turning to ice. Great for walking. But now that some of the grassy areas are poking through, like Lucy, Shadow is thrilled to have her regular poop spots back. It was tough cleaning up after her when she had to climb every snowbank to poop up top! But we did...

TeriM is this what you see from North Van?? Another view of the heavy fog banks we've been getting. My office is in Surrey (right under the Pattulo Bridge - lovely area...) and we're still fogged in today. Watching the bridge repairs and giving Shadow daily updates on when she can come back to work. She has her paws crossed.

chico2
January 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Wow,what a beautiful pic,gorgeous colors:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
January 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
In case it needs to be said - I did not take this pic. It's been on the internet as a great downtown Vancouver fog scene from this week.

chico2
January 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Oh,ok:laughing:I was wondering if you were flying your plane,taking pics:laughing:

Dog Dancer
January 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Well now if I had a plane I wouldn't be taking transit to work since the bridge is out - one I wouldn't need to work if I could afford my own plane - two I'd fly to work not bus!!! But it is a great shot isn't it! Did you see the clip on the news about it being 20+ above the fog on the mountains this week and like 3+ in the fog?? Me I'm in the fog. But today it's cleared out nicely and I'm right on the river in Surrey right now.

growler~GateKeeper
January 23rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
That's an awesome pic :cool:

I was on the bus to North Van this morning running an errand before heading into work & looking out the window going over the 2nd Narrows Bridge all you see is fog - like the whole world just disappeared :cool: :D