Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog randomly snaps/growls

mmhoss13
January 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hi. I'm trying to see if anyone may know what's going on in my dog's world. Lately she's been randomly kind of snapping and growling at the same time for no apparent reason. She'll be lying on my bed next to our other dog (both usually sleeping) and suddenly snap in his direction even though he's behind her and not touching her. Today she was standing next to my mom and did this toward my mom's leg. She's not an aggressive dog...in fact she barely even barks. She is quite jumpy though. Could it be something startling her? But it's not like there's anything moving by her when she does this. I don't know what it would be and a vet would probably just ask me questions. I'm unemployed right now so I can't afford to pay to be asked a bunch of questions with no solutions. Any ideas???

luckypenny
January 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I'm afraid a vet is the one who could help you right now mmhoss13. Perhaps she's in pain? I think at the very least a check-up and blood panel is needed to rule out anything physical. :fingerscr you find the answers you need to help her.

bendyfoot
January 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
How old is the dog? When was the last time he saw a vet? How is his appetite/stools/urination? What is he eating? Has he been showing any signs of discomfort (difficulty rising, hesitance on stairs, low energy, etc.)

SnowDancer
January 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Breed type would help.

chico2
January 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
My first thought was pain....:shrug:

BenMax
January 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Age and breed would be helpful information. Any previous health problems prior?

mmhoss13
January 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
She's a shepherd/terrior mix. Going to be 4 in july. She's always been a healthy dog and is current on shots and everything. Appetite is normal, so is energy, and potty time.

2 things i can think of that have taken place before all this started are: our other dog had some minor surgery on his paw and had bandages on it, and still has to wear a sock on it for a while. but that wouldn't make any sense for her snapping toward my mom's leg. The other is that at christmas, our other dog went after her throat and it scared her pretty bad. he'd never done that before.

Tommysmom
January 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Is she getting as much exercise in the cold weather as she used to before winter hit? I can tell a huge difference in my terrier each winter when we don't walk him as much as we normally would... nothing we can do in the house has as much impact as going out for a walk. If the exercise has remained the same, I really would say vet time as well, to rule out any pain issues.

mmhoss13
January 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I think i may have figured out the problem. She gets spooked fairly easily and since the other dog had surgery on his paw, he's had it wrapped and now in a boot to keep him from licking it. I think the boot is scaring my dog and that's what is making her snap. Thanks for all the suggestions, if it keeps up after we get rid of the boot then i guess we'll have to see a vet.