Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick shelter cat

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM
:confused:On Saturday my Husband and I took our three year old son to the shelter. He got a cat. Now I have never had a cat so this is all new to me. The first day the cat was fine seemed playful wanted to be loved etc purr'd up a storm. Following day he slept most of the day and started with the runs! Did not eat or drink much Sunday. Monday same did not eat or drink much. I took him to the vet and the vet seemed concerned. The cat is 8 months old and only weighs 4 lbs. He was dehydrated so they gave him fuilds and Flagyl. The Cat is still really lethargic and now he is not even purring anymore. The cats temp was 103.5 when we were at the vet. The cat did not have worms or anyhting that the vet could pin point. The cat was Fixed(male) about 7 days ago and vaccinated and wormed....I spent 71.00 dollars yesterday at the Vet which I was not expecting the visit was free from the shelter. The cat has already cost our family $300. I am not sure how much more we will be able to handle this month. The vet said he would need to run some tests if the cat was not doing better today he seemed very concerned...The vet spent about 2 hours with us which was the longest vet visit I have ever had! The visit seemed rather expensive as well the fuilds alone were 25.00 bucks. 19.00 for the poop test,Flagyl 14.00 .worming 15.00... I wonder how much the blood tests will be. I just want my little Kitten to feel better. ANyone have any suggestions. I need to get this cat to eat and drink:confused:

Love4himies
January 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Have you contacted the shelter to let them know this cat is sick?

Your kitty could have a virus or bacterial infection, very easily picked up in a shelter and like humans when the immune system is stressed, viruses can take over. Is your cat vomiting? Did your vet give you any kitty aspirin (NOT HUMAN aspirin) for the fever? Sometimes this makes them fell a bit better and will eat on their own.

With my sick kittens, I was able to feed them watered down kitten food (Wellness) through a plastic syringe. It is a little messy but gets some food and water into them. If your cat is vomiting, you may have to stick with the daily vet visits for sub cutaneous fluids.

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I am waiting for the shelter to open the vet did not give me and aspirn for the fever

sugarcatmom
January 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Aww, poor kitty. It could be a number of things going on and I'm glad you have a vet on the case. What was the cat eating and is it the same food he was eating at the shelter? Sometimes an abrupt diet change can cause gastrointestinal issues. Also, perhaps having so many stressful things done all around the same time (neuter, vaccines, deworming, AND moving into a new home) has overwhelmed his immune system. Hopefully the vet can figure it out and get him back on track.

In the meantime, it's extremely important that he eat something - anything. Can you offer him some low-sodium canned salmon or tuna or sardines, or some plain chicken baby food (no onions). There is something called "Cat Milk" made by Whiskas that you should be able to find at the grocery store. Lots of cats really like it and it would help get some fluids into him. If he goes much longer (like even another day) without eating, he may need an appetite stimulant. Cats are at risk of some serious illnesses if they go without food for more than a couple days.

Fingers are crossed that he gets better soon!

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
He is not vomiting he is gagging but no vomit yet. Dr said the lungs were clear!:confused:::sick:

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
He did lick at the A/D prescription food the vet gave him but he did not eat much just very little and did take some water this morning but not much

Love4himies
January 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
If he is making an attempt to eat, then I would try the things sugarcatmom suggested to entice him to eat just a little bit more.

14+kitties
January 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Try watering that food down with warm water and see if he will take some of it. As SCM said, he needs to eat. There are much better choices for cat foods out there as well but he needs to get healthy first. Open a can of tuna and see what he does. If it is high in salt rinse if off before you give it to him.

Call the shelter and inform them he is sick. IMO you should not be having to pay for vet visits but that's neither here nor there.

TacoGrl
January 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I highly second the tuna or sardines...both should be a little warm...stink like ****, but cats LOVE it! You might even take some in your fingers and rub a little on his nose to get him licking it off...then keep feeding him by hand until he takes to the dish. This is a very stressful time for the little guy...the shelter should be of assistance if you are persistant enough...some are better than others in this department. :fingerscr

Love4himies
January 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
If the kitty is feeling nauseated/vomiting and/or gagging I would hesitate to force this kitty to eat. It may put him off food, cats are so sensitive.

Do you know how to check for dehydration in your cat? Gently pinch the skin on the back of the neck and let go. If it bounces right back into place the kitty is hydrated. If not, then he needs fluids from the vet.

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thank you so much everyone! The vet gave him a large dose of SQ Fuild treament last evening! he has not gagged in 24 hours. I am going to see if I can get him to eat I will let you all know going for the tuna!

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM
WE HAVE A WINNER HE IS EATTING TUNA WITH FRISKIES SALMON DINNER SEEMS TO LOVE IT... THANK THE LORD... HE IS NOT EATTING MUCH AND TAKING HIS TIME BUT HE IS EATTING PRAISE THE LORD..... HE WANTED TO EAT IT OUT OF THE CAN WOULD NOT EAT IT OUT OF THE BOWL SO i PUT IT ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR AND CHOPPED IT UP AND HE IS EATTING IT!!! I AM SO HAPPY!:thumbs up

Love4himies
January 20th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Wahoo!!!!!!! He may have had a 24 hour virus.

Just wondering if you would consider getting your kitty on a quality diet of canned and/or raw? Friskies food is filled with junk and is the equivalent to feeding your child McDonalds or hotdogs everyday for dinner.

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I have the HIlls A/D prescription food. I would never give my child a hot dog lol.... Actually my hubby and I go round and round about the hot dogs he(my son) gets them as a special treat same with the fast food. For Breakfast he had yougurt with fresh fruit and toast. So I have no idea what kind of Cat food I should buy. I wonder what the last people gave him becasue he steal people food the cat that is....I wonder if someone was letting it eat human food he seems to want to eat human food! Is IAMS ok? Or science diet? that is what I gave my dog for YEARS before he died:( he ate only science diet food. Which I why asked the vet for the A/D yesterday. I adopted a dog that had been abused pure bred yellow lab was a real DOLL but it took years and thousands in training and special medical. He had Adult Heart Worm when i adopted him and the treatment was quite costly! We are good people and try to do the best we can for adopted animals which is why we went to the shelter for the cat. Our dog died recently. I know that when the dog was sick he would only eat the Hills A/D food the cat seems to like it also. He ate a teaspoom full of it lastnight but then walked way from it. I did give him the option this morning and he went for the friskies salmon and tuna lol....I have friskies salmon and tuna out right now and also tuna and science diet A/D should I take the friskie's away from him? He did drink alittle water also. Thanks again!!!!!:angel:

14+kitties
January 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM
What you are looking for in a cat food is a meat based, grain free product. Canned, not dry. Cats do not get enough water in their diet. Therefore they need a food that is as close to their natural diet as possible. So, canned, high quality food.... Wellness, Innova, Merriks's, anything you can get at a good pet store, not a grocery store or WM. You are looking for something that has no by products, corn or grains. Wellness is a popular one to feed. It is pricey but well worth it for the health of your kitty.

I am quite sure our food guru (sugarcatmom) will be along soon to give you more ideas.

Meanwhile, here is a good site to read. It is very eye opening!

http://www.catinfo.org/

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Ok folks just got off the phone with the shelter! Cole the cat is going back for treatment. Vet called and is very concerned. Cole needs more fuilds! and the feline luk test and other blood work.. Shelter just told me Cole was a stray cat and was brought in and found with a dead cat:cry: I will keep you posted as I find out more. We are heart broken.....Vet said this is not a healthy cat!

krdahmer
January 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
:sad: That is so sad. I'm gonna send my :pray: that whatever the little guy has can be cleared up with some medication! :goodvibes:

Love4himies
January 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Ok folks just got off the phone with the shelter! Cole the cat is going back for treatment. Vet called and is very concerned. Cole needs more fuilds! and the feline luk test and other blood work.. Shelter just told me Cole was a stray cat and was brought in and found with a dead cat:cry: I will keep you posted as I find out more. We are heart broken.....Vet said this is not a healthy cat!

Was Cole at the vets? I thought he was home with you?

I have gone through may sick foster kittens who have picked up a virus and got very, very sick but pulled through to be extremely healthy kitties. Don't give up hope and do some research on the internet.

Colethecat
January 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Cole has been home with us since Saturday. Was at the vet with him yesterday and they gave him fuilds and some meds for the runs. Today he was worse so they had me call the county shelter and they are going to treat him there. That is were I adopted him from. Cat is not eatting and lethargic!! He is with the shelter Vet now getting treatment for dehaydration and tested for Feline Lukemia... The entire dead cat thing has me very scared! I assume it was a bother or sister but for some reason the shelter said COLE would not leave the dead cat he put up a fight!:cry:

badger
January 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Poor baby, what a crummy life, until you came along.
I pray he pulls through.

14+kitties
January 20th, 2009, 11:12 PM
How sad. I will keep Cole in my prayers. I hope he fights hard to get over what is ailing him. :fingerscr:pray:

Colethecat
January 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ok folks thanks for your prayers! Cole now has green discharge coming out of his nose so he is on another medication now. They are going to keep him over night again so they have contiue the SQ fuild treatment... I knew he had something upper respitory going on. NO ONE LISTENS TO THE CAT IDOIT! LOL... he was coughing the vet siad his lung were clear and I said his NOSE IS DRY... Sure enough he sneezed on the vet this morning and left green boogers on his coat LOL serves him right lol...:D My hope is that Cole can come home tomorrow but I told the county shelter vet keep him as long as you have to I want him to come home playful and healthy!:thumbs up:candle:

Colethecat
January 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Ok folks thanks for your prayers! Cole now has green discharge coming out of his nose so he is on another medication now. They are going to keep him over night again so they have contiue the SQ fuild treatment... I knew he had something upper respitory going on. NO ONE LISTENS TO THE CAT IDOIT! LOL... he was coughing the vet siad his lung were clear and I said his NOSE IS DRY... Sure enough he sneezed on the vet this morning and left green boogers on his coat LOL serves him right lol...:D My hope is that Cole can come home tomorrow but I told the county shelter vet keep him as long as you have to I want him to come home playful and healthy!:thumbs up:candle: Oh and one more thing his test came back NEGITIVE on Feline LUK YAY:cat::angel2:

Love4himies
January 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Negative for feline leukemia is good! :thumbs up. Sending some :goodvibes: that a dose of antibiotics will clear up his URI.

TacoGrl
January 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
LOL! I LOVE it when they get even with the people poking at them!

:fingerscr that you can pick him up soon and then you can post pics :D

Colethecat
January 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Ok so the doxycycline did not go over well with COLE he had to stay another night last night. He was worse yesterday then he had been since Saturday. They switched the antibotics yesterday to amoxicillin I think. They call normally around 10am to tell me the scoop. They did offer for me to bring Cole home but warned he had the runs again pretty bad. So they were going to continue the meds for the runs and the antiobotics and the SQ treatments! :goodvibes:I really want him home for the weekend but understand this might not be possible if he is not up to it! poor kitty:yell::sick: he does not like the car and its about 30 to 40 minutes in the car.... I hope this little guy makes it. I wonder if they are testing the live or kidneys I am going to ask when they call today!:shrug::candle:keep a light on for COLE THE CAT AND PRAY PLEASE!

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Sending some :goodvibes: for Cole.

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Just wondering if they tested for panleukopenia?

bds1960to
January 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Oh boy, what a tough go for the poor little thing. Hope he pulls through completely. Fingers crossed here.

Colethecat
January 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
:sorry: I should have posted yeterday! Cole came home yesterday which was Friday the 23rd of January... He just slept and did not eat hardley a thing. We tried to give him the meds for the runs and OH MY he does not like it... He slept with me last night and I must admit for not being a cat lover I LOVED IT!....This morning he took the Zpak dose not problem I held him like a baby and my husband squirted it in... He took ALL of it YAY!!!! We were gone most of the day today which was Saturday and I felt terrible I kept saying we have to go home to check on Cole. He greeted us at the door!!! He went straight for the FOOD bowl which had food in it but he must have been waiting .He ate like a pig and I added more water!!! It's been all snuggles tonight. Cole has a URI infection that seems to be clearing.... I will keep every one posted. For those of you who prayed I want to send 1,000's thanks... There is power in numbers. I am going to ask the vet about what you asked me if they tested him for and see what he says. We ahve a follow up next week!!!! :crazy::sleepy: I have been coverted from dog lover to cat lover now as well! :pray:

Colethecat
January 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
As a side note the cat was vacinated for distemper but now I wonder if maybe he has it!!!! or something I do not know? I will ask for sure!!! I want my vet to run a blood test:sleepy:

14+kitties
January 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Awww, sweet! It doesn't take long for them to wind their way into our hearts, does it? I am glad Cole is starting to feel better. Eating is a great sign. Let's hope he keeps on improving. Continued :pray: and :fingerscr here.

Love4himies
January 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I am so glad that Cole is feeling better :thumbs up. An eating cat is a great sign he is on the mend. :grouphug: