Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 Goldens kill yorkie

babymomma
January 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
:eek: I never thought i would see the day that a golden hurt somthing!

I belong to another forum for yorkies. And a new member just lost her 9 month only yorkie to 2 golden retreivers. She explained it graphically what happened, as she is still in shock, and trying to figure out what went wrong.
Her friends 2 golden retrivers were visiting along with the friend. The 2 goldens and the yorkie had played together tons of times. But the 2 goldens turned on her for NO reason. Seriously, the dog didnt do anything. The ripped half her face off before the owner got to them and it didnt take long for her to get there (She turned her back for 1 SECOND to pour a glass of juice. And her firend was watching them. These 2 dogs were welltrained, and family pets. Attended obediance classes. BUt she is not sure what happened.

Anyway. the dog lived for a few hours after wards. And the vet thought she COULD by some miricle make it, BUt it would be unfair to her because of the amount of pain she was facing. She had her PTS..

R.I.P little darling:sad::angel2:

JUst thought i would share, because i am in shock. I know that all dogs were once wild and THEN domesticated. And they are all capable of such things. BUt Goldens? I seriously never thought i would read something like that!:eek:

Rottielover
January 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I am sorry for the loss, but just remember, all dog have teeth, all dogs can bite, and yes even the sweet goldens. They are dogs

babymomma
January 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I am sorry for the loss, but just remember, all dog have teeth, all dogs can bite, and yes even the sweet goldens. They are dogs

I know.. It makes me soo mad when the media start talking about pitts and rotts. BUt i bet nobody would even touch this story because it cant be spiced up enough!:frustrated: I could even understand it if they were untrained, unsocialized dogs.

BenMax
January 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Dogs are dogs are dogs. There is the potential with any and all breeds.

In my opinion very small dogs should not be unsupervised with larger ones. If one dog has prey drive then the other will feed of this. Small dogs resemble prey. They scurry around quickly as do small criters.

I have a 5 lbs minature pincher and would never let her be with two other larger dogs - especially without my presence.

It is a horrible incident - but not isolated. Any dog(s) has the potential to do this - when will people understand this???

RIP little one.:rip:

lUvMyLaB<3
January 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I am so sorry for your friends loss, what a tragic story, she must be absolutly heartbroken! I understand her shock.

Too many people think there are 'safe' breeds.. I have a lab that would happily kill another dog, sad but true, she has reasons to feel this way and we have been working super super hard on it, I would never allow her unsupervised with another dog. There is a problem with some popular breeds, like retrivers and cocker spaniels, too much indiscriminate breeding has allowed some serious behavior 'quirks'. It is NOT just rotties, and pits, ect.. It happens often you just don't hear it.

faranya
January 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Our former neighbor up the road owned a golden that would charge at us, teeth bared, whenever my husband and I went for a walk and passed in front of their house. The dog often ran right onto the highway - regardless of oncoming traffic - and followed us, growling. Her owners dismissed our concerns (and we weren't the only ones who felt intimidated by the dog) by saying the animal was "just smiling". But her body language was very aggressive.

When my daughter was growing up, we lived next door to another golden. That particular dog was not approachable either, and we had to keep a close eye on her. She, too, had an aggressive nature, even around a small child who posed no threat at all. She'd bark and roar if we so much as walked along the sidewalk and she, too, would leave their property at times.

So this breed is definitely capable of behaving dangerously. I've known other goldens that were lovely, gentle dogs, but these two remain in my memory. Every breed has its wimps and its warriors.

cassyhoof
January 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Tell your friend to take care and try to remember the happy times she spent with her little baby, she is in no more pain and running around whole again xxx

:rip: little angel:angel2:

Kirby's Mom
January 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Awww Thats Terrible poor thing,I never heard of goldens attacking other dogs especially ones that are smaller than they are.Im Sorry I Hate hearing of Animals Dying cause I have a special love for anaimals im a huge animal lover.I know our animals are a big part of our lives and we dont want anything to happen to them.:( Im sorry to hear about your loss!!