Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cough or sneeze?

*Chihuahualuv*
January 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
:dog:I have a 2 year old chihuahua and he makes the weirdest sound when he gets excited. He sounds like he has a hairball but he doesn't. He just starts hacking like he is trying to get something out, but nothing comes up and after a few mins. he is fine. I have heard that this was called a reverse sneeze and others have said their dog does it too. I just want to know if it is something bad that I need to take care of or not! Thank you!!!

tweety
January 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
If your dog was in contact with others dogs recently and they do the same maybe it's a kennel cough, if not maybe it's a reverse sneeze but to be sure you can consult your veterinary just to be sure that's it's not another problem. Is this a new problem or it's about a few months he began the symptoms?? Give us some news and hope it's just a reverse sneeze, if you want to know you can also take your dog from the front paws and left it, if he's stop it's probably just that :-)

meg4050
January 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hi Chihuahaluv,

I lived with a 6 month old Chihuahua all summer and he did the exact same thing. Everytime we came home, Peanut would get so excited and start making the sounds - kinda reminds me of a goose honking :laughing:. Anyway, we had him in for some pretty extensive testing but nothing serious was ever determined, so yes it's quite possible that it's just a reverse sneeze. Always a good idea to get him a check-up with the vet though just in case - like tweety said, it could be kennel cough or something resperitory -related.

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm going to have to try that, tweety! So you just raise the front paws up at the same time? :D We get a lot of reverse sneezing here. :dog:

Chihuahualuv, has your dog been doing this a long time or is it a new thing? If it's been a lifelong thing, it's likely just reverse sneezing, which is usually benign. If it gets too frequent, you might want to ask your vet about it.

tweety
January 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
hi everybody, yes you left the front paws at the same time. this is what we've recommend here in the clinic where i work. It's help but he doesn't heal. Try this technic :-)

lUvMyLaB<3
January 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
rubbing their nose works too!! rub rub rub in circles on their nose, works great! I have a honking dog too!!