Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog eating poo!

Mgue
January 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I searched the forums and read lots of previous posts about dogs eating poo & how to stop them, etc. But I'm looking for opinions on WHY he might be doing it... What can I say, my favorite word is "why?". :sorry:

I used to feed Orijen but his farts were sooo smelly, room-clearing bad, really. Best West suggested Orijen might be too rich so we switched to Acana Provincial, slightly lower protein. Now his farts smell "ok" and he has TONS less gas, so I'm happy with Acana.

Around the same time as the food switch, I began to notice him eating his poo. I don't know for sure that he wasn't doing it before, this is just when I began to notice. At first, he'd poo then go run & play in the yard and a few minutes later, come back to eat it. Now, he poos and turns right around to eat it. :yuck:

I've read that a lot of dogs do this if they're lacking something in their food. Since I'm feeding a quality food, I'm not sure if it is a deficiency in what he's eating??

I also read that it could be because they're hungry. Well my dog is ALWAYS hungry (part lab). He can never eat enough and he spends much of his time trying to get more food. He even tries to stick his tongue under the stove to get at the crumbs! :laughing:

I feed him 2.5 cups of food a day, half in the am and half in the pm. I think it's more than enough food (he's 42 lbs) but I'm wondering about this hunger theory too.

In the meantime, I'm going to try adding pineapple and/or pumpkin to his diet and see if that helps... Just curious for some opinions on "why" he might be doing this...

Thanks!

rainbow
January 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I have a lab who did this as well. :frustrated: Both my dogs have been fed Orijen and Chase (the lab) would always eat Logan's poop but not his own. :rolleyes:

The only thing that we did was go out in the yard with him and pick up all poop right away. He finally stopped doing it about a year ago (he's 3 1/2 now) so maybe he just outgrew it as they are both still eating Orijen. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Boy, if I could figure out why I'd be so ahead of the game...

But as it is, we just clean up as quickly as we can. The poop eaters in our Pack are getting tricky, though. They synchronize their poopin' so we can't get it all. Usually we can get two of the three picked up with no shnackin'...but can't make it over to the third. :yuck: And somehow, when told to 'leave it' from across the yard, the temptation wins out over the urge to listen to mom. :rolleyes:

I've heard a lot of theories about why they do it, but in the end I think a lot of them just like the taste. :eeew: :o

tweety
January 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
hi
sometimes it's due to what kind of meal he eat. If you want to continue to give him Orijen food you can put on his food a kind of powder name Forbid (it's an anticoprophagic condiment for dog), it give a bad taste of the poo and you have to put this on a few days depend the weight of the dog. It's work very well and you can buy it on the veterinary clinic or here's the link to follow to have information about it : http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=5710 it will give you some info about this product and good luck!! give me some news if you try it:-)

Mgue
January 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I've read I can try adding pumpkin or pineapple to his food to have the same effect as Forbid. Any opinions on this? I think I might start trying it...

BusterBoo
January 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
hi
sometimes it's due to what kind of meal he eat. If you want to continue to give him Orijen food you can put on his food a kind of powder name Forbid (it's an anticoprophagic condiment for dog), it give a bad taste of the poo and you have to put this on a few days depend the weight of the dog. It's work very well and you can buy it on the veterinary clinic or here's the link to follow to have information about it : http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=5710 it will give you some info about this product and good luck!! give me some news if you try it:-)

hhhmmm......and without it .... poos tastes OK???

Just kidding...Buster is a poop-eater but just during the winter....and he is on Orijen/Wellness combo. I am thinking of just giving Wellness as he started eating poopsicles when i added Orijen :shrug:

rainbow
January 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I've read I can try adding pumpkin or pineapple to his food to have the same effect as Forbid. Any opinions on this? I think I might start trying it...

I haven't heard of pumpkin helping but I have heard of pineapple helping some dogs. Just like Forbid (or other commercial products like it) helps some dogs and tabasco sauce poured on the poop as a deterrent helps some dogs.

There are several things that people claim helps but not one thing helps ALL dogs. The best thing, imo, is to teach the "leave it" command and also pick up the poop right away.

Mgue
January 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I wonder if I switch from Acana and go back to feeding Orijen

Although it doesn't sound like that will necessarily help...

jessi76
January 20th, 2009, 10:52 AM
another product to try is Solid Gold's S.E.P (stop eating poop) supplement.

my dog did it once. just once. when he was about 10wks old. I had him out on leash to do his business and he "sampled" some. I promptly grabbed it out of his mouth (yes, bare handed, ick) and REALLY REALLY FIRMLY told him NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. since then he has been scared to death of poo. at the time, I didn't intend to scare him, but it did the trick I guess. He now won't go within a foot of poo. needless to say, I scrubbed my hand for a good hour after that....

ebonyonivory
January 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Newbie here!

My Belgian eats the poop of the dog we live with. This dog gets fed a very bad diet of cooked beef mince and lots of bason/ham .. high salt.

I've possibly worked out that she eats it because the poo still contains some of the salt and it's tasty to my dog? When she eats it (not as much as she used to as I picked it up asap) she gets the runs .. which she does when she ate ham once.

Ivy also has a thing for cat poop :yuck: when it's done in the garden .. which is very difficult to keep tabs on and pick up.

Dee-O-Gee
January 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Oh my gosh!! I was going to start a poop eating thread and you beat me to it!!

My Gryphon has been eating my Golden Bailey's treasure for 4 years. For the longest time, we put garlic powder into her (Bailey's) food and it truly assisted in his decision to snack in between meals. We alternated this with Meat Tenderizer as well. It worked only up until winter when they turned into POOPSICLES! :yuck:

Well now with Bailey's recent passing, he has been scouring the yard trying to find any of her remains. It's kind of hard to go scouring into the snow to find these buried treasures but the garlic and meat tenderizers in their food truly worked wonders!