Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excess Shedding, Flaky Skin and Farts.

Stacer
January 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM
In the past month or so (since it really started to get cold), Skylar has been shedding ALOT and she's got quite a bit of dandruff. She's still really soft and shiny, but she does have some rougher patches of fur on her back legs.

I'm considering changing her food or adding something else in to the mix to see if anything changes. Her gas has been horrendous basically since we brought her home as well, so perhaps we should be adding probiotics or digestive enzymes or something?

Currently she eats about 2.5 cups of Orijen (the regular adult chicken based) per day as well as Biologic Vet Omega 3-6-9 liquid supplement with each meal.

I bought a small bag of EVO Red Meat and I'm going to see how she likes it, but I'm not convinced that changing her kibble will help her skin issues. I think I need to try a different supplement to get rid of the flakes and excess shedding. It seems like a dog shouldn't shed this much in the cold weather, she literally leaves the carpet black with fur if she's been laying in the same spot for a while.

Are there any recommendations for a good supplement that helps with skin problems? Should I just try various fish oils to see which one works? What about probiotics?

luckypenny
January 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Stacer, is she gassy when you don't give her the Biologic Vet too? We bought it once for Penny not too long after she joined us and she had lots of tummy problems with it. I remember reading on the bottle, "Not For Human Consumption" and that made me a little wary of it as well. Before changing Skylar's kibble, maybe if you stop with the oil you'll notice Skylar's not so gassy?

Skylar's not alone with the excessive shedding and dandruff though. All three of ours are shedding more than usual in the last couple of weeks too. I just brush them every day and add a couple of drops of wild salmon oil and a couple of drops of vitamin E oil once a day to their meals. The furnace is also almost always on with this cold spell so the dry air is most likely contributing to the dry skin too.

As for probiotics, you can just add a tablespoon of plain organic yogurt to her kibble. Much cheaper than the capsules.

Stacer
January 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hmmmm...interesting thought about the Biologic Vet stuff. I did notice the 'not for human consumption' thing but didn't really think about it. Perhaps I'll go that route first and see if it makes a difference. Try some fish oil capsules or something. That Biologic Vet stuff is really expensive too, so I won't be sorry to take it off the grocery list.

I've also considered putting a humidifier in the family room to add some moisture to the air. I'm pretty dry and flakey myself.

angeldogs
January 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
You could try adding an egg which will help with the skin and coat.does the probotic you give have FOS on the bottle and need to be kept in the fridge?.

How fast does she it?.I know if jag eats quickly he will get quite gassy.

Ya a humidifer woould be a good thing to add if your house is dry.

Etown_Chick
January 18th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Dr. Lee has a very informative article on Omegas in the dog health forum. Might be worth a look.
Winter is hard on doggies. I've added sardine's to Scruffy's diet and he certainly seems to be scratching less.
Eggs are likely good too. I tried that fish oil but he turned his nose up at it. Then I read Dr Lee's article and realized I should have gotten one with only Omega 3 anyway. Sighhh so much to know.

Stacer
January 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the egg suggestion angeldogs and etown chick. We occasionally add an egg to her food, so I'll do it more often now. Is once a day too much? Do you guys put the shell in too, or just the raw egg?

I'll check out Dr. Lee's suggestions too. Thanks!

Etown_Chick
January 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't give him shells, they are sharp and pointy. Add them to your compost pile if you have one.

Melinda
January 19th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Brina just finished her heavy shedding...man I thought for awhile someone dropped off some pups without me knowing it and they were hiding under my couch and bed, I also have to add a humidifier this time of year, we all get flakey here! *L*, I give brina a small can of sardines over the course of two weeks, every two weeks, pretty well add one and a bit of oil a day to her kibble, I was doing that for Skylar too while she was here, or if we have canned salmon I pour the "juice" over her food plus mush up the bones to a paste and mix that in also.