Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's the smartest thing your pet has ever done?

Cactus Flower
July 30th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Ok this will give everyone an open forum for bragging rights :D

I had a pitX ("Kiva") who was a shoe-stealer. If you left your shoes outside, one or both would be gone in no time. One day my son slipped off his muddy shoes to come inside. I went out to the front porch just minutes later to retrieve them. Only one remained. I called "Kiva!". She came around the corner. I showed her the other shoe and she immediately slumped, looking guilty. JUST ON A LARK I said "You'd better bring back that other shoe!". I was kidding. You know how we do, talking to our pets regardless of their comprehension. I went back inside and closed the door. About a half hour later, I was taking out the garbage, and there was Kiva, grinning from ear to ear, sitting next to the shoe. She'd brought it back!

My Dane, Raja, talks. Or tries her best to. I was recently trying to get her to put the outgoing message on my answering machine. I hit the "record" button, then told Raja: "Tell everyone I'm not home". Well, she wasn't in the mood. I said it again. Still, she wouldn't talk. Finally, after me repeating myself five times, she said "Woo rowl woo woo". Ok. Well I was playing back the recording. Raja was still right there, listening to the recording with me, with the strangest look on her face. Just to see what she would do, I started silently mouthing the words that I was saying on the recording. I'm looking at Raja and mouthing along to my own words and she is just staring back. When it got to her part on the recording, where she "talked" - SHE SILENTLY MOUTHED ALONG TO HER PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad my son was there to witness this, as nobody would believe it otherwise!!!!!!!

heidiho
July 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Took over my house.. :D :D

Writing4Fun
July 30th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Our previous dog, Murphy (love of my life), was quite the independent thinker. When we first brought her home and were house training her, we didn't know about crate training. But we did have a very large laundry room in the basement with nothing but the washer and dryer inside. So we'd leave her there when we went to work, with some newspaper in one corner and her bed and food dishes in the other. She was pretty consistent about hitting that paper. One day, though, she didn't quite make it and poo'd on the floor about a foot from the paper. We came home to find the poo sitting there with a torn piece of newspaper on top of it, and Murphy sitting next to it thoroughly pleased with herself! :D

Bill & Bob
July 31st, 2004, 01:20 PM
Being at the right SPCA, right at the time I was looking for him and ready to make one of the biggest life decisions I've made so far. Good Bob.

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 02:29 PM
I'll go back to the collie named Laddie I had while growing up...he actually saved our home from fire and us being smoked alive!

The furnace malfunctioned and started to smoke and Laddie came and woke us all up :D

The fire dept resolved the problem, we needed a new furnace NOTHING was destroyed and Laddie saved us all :D

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 02:45 PM
Being at the right SPCA, right at the time I was looking for him and ready to make one of the biggest life decisions I've made so far. Good Bob.
I lke this one! Good post BB!!!
I tend to leave the balcony door open for Connor because he likes to suntan. I closed it a little the one day because I had the AC on. Well, I guess I closed it a little too much because Connor was meowing and pawing to get in. Briggs stuck her nose out and PUSHED open the door!! I think she just did it to get at him, but it was sweet none the less!!! :p

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 03:50 PM
Gosh these are terrific replies!!!!!!

More more more.......

anniebananie
August 1st, 2004, 05:43 AM
I had a Jack Russell called Daisy, b4 I got the two that I have now. She told us that something awful, weather wise, was going to happen. Two days b4 the event she started getting a bit velcro'ish and so I let her sleep in the bedroom, rather than listening to her howl where she normally sleeps. The third night she insisted on sleeping on our bed - then started to bug me and nipping me. There was an awful summer storm outside, so just thought she was being silly - so finally she started to bark and gave me one hell of a nip - and at the point we could here a train approaching. Well, we don't have a train in town - so gathered up ourselves - dog, cats and headed down to the basement - just as a twister came by withing 100 ft of the house. Not a large twister, but it did twist an oak tree out of the ground next door to us - across the road. How she knew this was going to happen I will never know, and so far in advance - but I am so glad that she did. She resumed her normal sleeping place after that and was happy again.. :)

moontamara
August 1st, 2004, 08:06 AM
Wow, these are great!

Not sure Casey has done all that much to astound yet (although he has been very emotionally sensitive at times, sweet little guy) but the lovely mutt we raised when I was growing up was extremely clever!

My mom used to teach him new tricks in the morning before we all went to work and school. I'm not sure how she taught him this, though...

Toby always had his own special gifts wrapped under the Christmas tree during the weeks before Christmas, and Mom would let him retrieve them from under the tree and play with them gently. Then she'd say, "Okay, put them back," and he always would, and then wouldn't retrieve them again until he got permission. Christmas morning, however, Mom would say, "Okay Toby! Go for it, open it!" and he would always tear into them with abandon, and would be so incredibly pleased with his "new" toys! It was soo cute. We tried to teach our other dogs to do this, but it was never quite the same!

glasslass
August 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
When I was 10, I had my own little cocker spaniel, Blondie. My family was camping in the mountains. It was deer season and my pop and brother were hunters. Yeah, I grew up on venison. They got up before dawn to hike to their designated lookout spot and it was still very cold as they were getting ready to take off. They noticed the small hibachi had glowing coals from the night before and put it inside the camp trailer where my mom & I were still sleeping to keep us warm, little realizing this was deadly! Blondie started fussing and wouldn't quit. My mom finally got up to let her outside. Suddenly she found herself on the ground crawling on her hands and knees and couldn't remember what had happened. Then she realized and had to drag me out as I was already unconscious. Blondie had saved both of us!

hddlstn02
August 4th, 2004, 06:01 PM
This isn't that great, but.... I had a cat named mittens for about 4 yrs. until he died. This cat was a very moody cat so I'm pretty much the only one that liked him. Anyhoo, we have a sliding patio door & when the screen was the only door to open to get outside (in the summer), he would go over & meow a couple of times & if no one payed attention to him, he'd politely open the door & let himself out. The only problem w/ this was he never figured out how to close the door! Still cute though. My neighbor gave me the cat & he would come up sometimes just to have me bring Mittens in so he could see him open the door. It wasn't very good on our screen though!

Now, I have Chauncey. He's kind of stuck up to the cats we have outside & doesn't like to have anything to do w/ them. So when we try to let him out using the door that leads onto the porch where the outside cats stay, he runs back in. So he finally got smart & now he goes to my Dad's room (which is @ the opposite end of the house) & asks him out. My dad usually lets him out 1 or 2 times a nite. He says he doesn't like Chauncey, but he always lets him out or in & can tell his voice from all of our other cats, so I think he secretly adores him!

I'll try to think of some more.....think......think......think. :p

shan
August 4th, 2004, 06:18 PM
When I was younger we had a Border Collie, Tippy, and our Bichon Duchess. We live on a farm and they had the run of the place. During one calving season, Duchess approached a rather grouchy cow. The cows chase all animals away from their babies for protection, and this old mama took after Duchess. Duchess is quick, but no match for a 1500lb cow! Well Tippy saw this, and ran up and bit that cow right on the nose, so Duchess could get away!! Smart dog! Tippy is gone now, but we buried her near the gateway to our corral, because she loved nothing better than to be out there running with the cows!

glasslass
August 4th, 2004, 06:27 PM
When my previous poodle had his teeth cleaned, he came home still groggy from the anesthesia. He'd also lost a tooth. Puss-Puss went up to him and they touched noses and she checked him out. A few minutes later, I let him outside thinking he'd need to go. He started barking at the neighbor's dog through a knothole in the fence. Puss-Puss came flying up to the fence, knocking him aside with her paw, and started raking the neighbor dog's nose through the knothole! It was the only time I ever saw her protecting her older doggie brother! She must have sensed that he was groggy and had been injured (lost tooth).

MEEKA
August 4th, 2004, 06:47 PM
We had a St Bernard, Sheba, when I was growing up, she would sit there and watch you eat with all this drool dripping from her mouth and if you coughed like you where clearing your throat she would turn her head away and go under the kitchen table, the only thing was, the kitchen table was glass and she would lay there looking up at you, she thought It was O.k because she was under the table.

anniebananie
August 4th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Well - not sure whether to put this under *New threat* but my inside cat has started doing really stange things - he is copying the personality trates of cats I have had in the past. He could have learnt them from the cats that have past b4 - and I suppose he must do. I just had to have a 17 yr old cat put down with cancr - now this younger cat (5 yrs) is trying out the same stuff as the other cat did - ie pat me on any part of my body with his paws - hiding in a closed closet (which he can open) when any stanger comes to the house - and only eating the same food as the 17 yr cat did with her paws - doing the exact same thing. It's like living with ghosts - and very disturbing. Is this cat in fact mourning for it's buddies - and why start now. I find it very upsetting :confused: :(

Sweetpea3
August 7th, 2004, 07:37 PM
I swear I have the smartest cat in the world. I have 3 cats, but one is Einstein. Lucy was a stray that I found 7 years ago. She was an immaciated, and is extremely grateful to have a warm home with an all-u-can-eat kitty buffet. So when you talk to her, she looks you in the eyes, she listens to EVERY word, and tries to figure out what you're telling her. It only takes her 5 minutes to learn a trick(like shaking paws, begging, turning in a circle, sitting, staying, etc.)
Well, when we'd had her for about a few months, I noticed that she would always stand on her hind legs and paw at the doorknobs of closed doors.(It wasn't easy since she got FAT and balloned up to 20 pounds). I thought it was to get my attention. But, I Finally realized that she was trying to TWIST the door knobs to open the doors. She observed us opening doors and was trying to duplicate our motions. If she were polydactyl I know she would have been able to. :p

Spoiled
August 8th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Once Bentley saw me picking strawberries. Well, after I went in, and made sure he came with me, he got out somehow and went and ate all the green strawberries. He had never touched them before. I think he thought "If you are doing it why can't I?" and went ahead.

Writing4Fun
August 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Ever wake up from a dead sleep with the feeling that you're being watched? I was sleeping on the sofa at my sister's place, when I woke up suddenly with this eerie feeling. I opened my eyes to find my sister's very large black cat staring at me intently with her huge yellow eyes. Now, Sugar (ironic name for a black cat, don't you think? :cool: ) may not have been very social, but I was one of the few people she actually liked, and I adored her, so I wasn't fearing for my life at this point. I was a little disturbed and wondered why she was being so intense, though. She stared me in the eyes, and then shifted her gaze upwards to the wall above my head. Now, my sister lived in an upper-duplex right by the St. Lawrence river (in LaSalle) at the time. Those of you who know the area know that the spiders near the river are HUGE, and I am deathly afraid of spiders :o . So, keeping my eyes on Sugar the whole time, I slowly lifted myself to a sitting position and scooted to the far end of the couch. As soon as I was out of the way, Sugar dashed up the wall and hauled down a massive spider. She killed it, ate it, and then curled up next to me on the sofa to receive her thanks for a job well done! Good, kitty!! :D

Tala
August 9th, 2004, 01:07 PM
My friend came to visit and accidentally blocked off McKenzie's way to her litter box. We went out for awhile and when we came back, I saw my cat sitting on the toilet pooping. What a smart cat. All I have to teach her is to flush the darn stuff down the toilet. Luckily I left the toilet lid open :eek: :p

Cactus Flower
August 9th, 2004, 01:31 PM
WOW these stories are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Babs
August 9th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I've seen some pretty amazing things from a pet, but I had this one beagle who loved eating.

She figured out how to open the fridge and help herself. Thereafter, we had to duct-tape the door shut.

Terrie
August 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
My 18 month old German Shepherd Kuma has three balls that he plays with outside.
A football, basketball and a soccer ball ...
When we play, I will put all three balls in a row and make Kuma sits next to me and I tell him to go get the basketball ... he will then go to the balls, look at all three and retrieve the basketball, then when he gets to my side, I will say " No ... I want the soccer ball, but make sure you bring the basketball back where you found it" He will pick up the basketball, bring it back to the other balls, drop it and pick up the soccer ball, I will do this with his football also, we play this game for quite a while.
When he gets a new toy, I show it to him and name the item.. three or four times and he knows it by name to retrieve it..
He's totally awesome ;) .

glasslass
August 10th, 2004, 07:50 PM
My previous poodle (died at 18) had over 300 squeeky toys and knew them all by name. Sometimes, he'd get a duplicate. Then he knew which one was the "new" one. If we forgot the name of a toy, he'd shake it at us impatiently. Sometimes, he'd set it 6 feet away from us. We'd say, "I can't reach that!" Then he'd move it 6" closer. He'd keep doing that til finally we could reach it. But, he'd never put them away. :D

Enjolras
August 20th, 2004, 01:27 AM
EVERY time i tell someone how good my puppy is being lately, she does something bad. at another BB, someone mentioned that their dog peed on their bed. literally 2 hours after i read that, Reagan did the same darn thing. couldn't believe it!

her and my g/f's dog are VERY protective of their property, and will chase anythihng off of it. one day a squirrel was in the backyard...they both went after it...from different directions...when it ran under the fence one of them sniffed up and down looking for it, while the other circled around the yard in case it popped back in. best teamwork i've ever seen.

Shelby
August 20th, 2004, 03:19 AM
My husband and I play a game with our Weimeraner, Izzy. It's called "find daddy". My husband hides somewhere in the house, then I will say, "where's daddy Izzy, find him!" and she will run around the house sniffing, when she finds him she jumps up and throws both front paws on him. It's her favourite game!

Iggette
August 20th, 2004, 07:06 AM
I'm not sure this falls under intelligent but Buddy still terrorizes the cats especially first thing in the morning Ursa knows that I can't stand it when he does that so she has taken over the yelling..............everytime Buddy even looks at the cat Ursa starts barking at him (being so old she never gets up) but the other day Buddy was chasing the kitten Boots and was paying no attention to Ursa's barking (Or my commands to stop) so she got up and charged at him and litterally attcked him I had to stop it of course or Buddy would have had a vet visit in the future. He finnally stopped and Ursa coward away but I let her know I was not mad at her............after all she was just carring out my wishes

Saturn
August 20th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Well, these are fascinating stories. You can literally talk to people for just hours "bragging" on different pets. They're all so fascinating. It does seem every cat I've had, knows how a door knob works. So if they wanted out, they'd get out.

The greatest thing, I have an 11 yr old cat name Ariel. I adopted her from the pound as a very tiny kitten and she's always been indoors, it seems she's developed behavior problems that the vet can't seem to do much about. She goes into automatic defense mode when a stranger is around, it's gotten worse as she got older, but it started out very young. At first, she only did this around males. I assumed because of their deep voices, larger builds, I thought perhaps she felt intimidated by them. So now, I live with my parents and everytime my dad is anywhere close she hisses and runs.

One day last December, we had a major power outage due to the cold weather and ice. Because the house is new, we hadn't installed a gas fireplace yet so everything was electric. I took her to my grandmothers for the day to stay warm while they worked on the power. That evening, the power was fixed and we came home.

We had been home several hours and both of my parents were sleeping. Me being a night owl, I was still awake and I suddenly hear a popping noise and the lights flickered. I jumped up and woke my mom asking her if she'd heard this noise and then we woke up my dad. He came rushing out of his room and Ariel is standing right there, not afraid, she's on guard and she fixates on a certain area showing us. We all notice how odd that normally loud noises would scare her and my dad being next to her definitely would so we looked in the direction she was pointing us. We went rushing down to that area and in seconds the power had gone completely out.

Ariel had alerted us to the front porch, where our power box was located. The first popping sounds we heard was it blowing up. Us adults honestly had NO idea where the sound was even coming from, but when we get to the porch flames are shooting out. We don't live in the city so it takes a little longer for 911 to respond to our house, but with catching the exact place so soon, we were able to put out the fire with just our small home extinguishers.

I always heard stories of pets alerting their owners to problems, but I never imagined mine would. In my opinion, she basically saved us all. It started fast and the flames were rather large in no time at all. If she hadn't pointed us in the right direction, I know there would have been alot more damage. As well as behind the box is where our garage is, which we had our dog (who has since passed) and our other cat.

Ariel is still as mean as can be, but I'm pretty sure it's all an act. She just needed a good reason to show her smarts and courage and that she loves us :)

glasslass
August 20th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Wow! I've heard of cats rescueing families. I even read about a pig that broke through a door and went to a neighbor for help when his owner had a heart attack. Just the stories from our pets on this forum have been terrific. Think how many other stories are out there. So many good things happening every day!

Cactus Flower
August 20th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Incredible stories!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

chico2
August 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM
Just wanted to add my smartest of all cats :D :D :D
They know how to tell the time:7 am, Time for mom to get up and feed us.
9 am,time to have a snooze.11 am,time for mom to take us outside,to forage for any flying or creeping crawlies.
1pm,treat-time outside. 2pm,time to go inside for yet another snoooze.
5pm,time for dinner+snooze,then time to terrorize the house in wild play and check out any strange creatures lurking in our backyard through the open window.
10:30 pm,all furry creatures find a comfy place for the night,leaving a little spot for mom and dad to sleep.
The timing actually never fails,they know exactly... :D
Also when I go downstairs to clean the boxes,I swear Vinnie is waiting around the corner to drop one stinky in the box as soon as I am done..
Oh well :D :D
I could right a book about these amazing little creatures and their habits and ways of training their owners :D

wAggie
August 22nd, 2004, 11:38 PM
haha, i can't get enough of these stories!

used to let my cats "outside." and that meant out of the bsmt where i lived where they were allowed to stand in the doorway. they didn't pass it almost all the time. there was no screen door so they could have easily walked/ran out. if one attempted to take a sniff outside, Chocolate would hurry them back in the house.
it was the best.

one time, i realized i couldn't find Boss, the sensitive/"loner" cat. I searched and searched my entire place. we all know the MANY hiding places cats can find. the entire time Chocolate was more fascinated and anxious to get outside for his walk. usually, he helps me search out the cats, lol. if i loose sight of one, he would show me where they were... or he'd just lie on the couch w a look of "mommy. don't worry, they're fine, just go back to bed" :p
anywho, i got quite frustrated w Chocolate making all those noises by the front door so i decided to quickly let him out (hopefully to pee & get back in the house)... i open there door, and there stands Boss!!!

CHocolate chased him back in the house and then went happily over to sniff out his brother to make sure he'd been alright. i had come home TWO hours earlier!.... poor boss, smart choco! :p