Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Needed for Computer Dummy

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Can someone explain to me in "easy to understand" terms how to fix my problem? :D

I have a cd that plays the video okay but not the music. :frustrated: What do I need to do to fix my computer settings? :o

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Just to clarify, it's a CD of a powerpoint presentation with a large music file (51.8 M) imbedded. Total size of the powerpoint package was about 76 M if I'm remembering correctly... It was packaged with the powerpoint player.

:o

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM
All I know is that it plays the video but not the sound. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
No error messages?

Is it starting up automatically (which is how it played on my machine) or do you have to start it up in another software program?

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I do not get any error messages and the cd starts up automatically.

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Oh, crap. I hope the cold didn't fry the CD. Is that possible? :eek:

Hmmmm... Try this. Put in the CD and let it start, then hit ESC. The show should stop. Then click on My Computer and when that comes up, right click on the CD drive with the disk still in there and tell me what you see.

:yell: I hope I included the music file! :o

breeze
January 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
stupid question but is your sound on?? do you have to turn up the volume??

I'm sorry but it happened to me, I by accendent pressed the mute button:o

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I've done the same thing, breeze :laughing:

aslan
January 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM

lol, i thought the exact same thing, i've done it too.

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Hmmmm... Try this. Put in the CD and let it start, then hit ESC. The show should stop. Then click on My Computer and when that comes up, right click on the CD drive with the disk still in there and tell me what you see.

You're asking ME if that's possible? :laughing:

Okay I will try your suggestion but have to write down the instructions first. :D

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM

I've done the same thing, breeze :laughing:

lol, i thought the exact same thing, i've done it too.

LOL.....that is ONE of the things rainbow does remember to check. :p :o

breeze
January 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
:laughing::laughing:
glad I'm not the only person around that did that..:laughing::laughing:

breeze
January 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
hazel is there a way rainbow can see if there is a music file with it??

like properties?? would that tell her??

breeze
January 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM

oops I must be really slow today.. sorry

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm busy trying to recreate the disk so I can see if there's another way to play it.... :o

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
oh crap....

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I got a funny message about the music track when I tried to package it.

If you can right click on the CD drive and check properties, it should tell you how much used space is on the disk, rainbow. It should be over 70 M...if it's not, we've got a problem :o

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Okay, I did what you said and then right clicked on the cd (heaven on earth) and then clicked on Properties and this is what it said:

Under the General Tab

Free Space 661MB
Total Size 680MB

Under the Auto Play Tab

Select a content type then choose an action for Windows to perform automatically when that type is used in this device and there's a drop down box with these choices:

Music files
Pictures
Video Files
Mixed content
Music cd

The "music files" was the choice that it was already set on and that is what played the video but not the music.

And, btw, I have Windows XP if you need to know that. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
:yell: :wall: :cry:

I think I sent you the wrong disk. :sad: If it says 18.7 M used space, then I did.

:laughing: Aren't you glad I sent it? LOL And you anticipated it so eagerly for all those weeks! :laugh: :o :laughing:

I'm sorry...this shouldn't be striking me as funny, but dirty brackenfratz, that's just crackign me up! :laugh: *wheeze wheeze* :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Oy....gasp gasp gasp...oy my shtomack...

There's no music, rainbow. hazel screwed up big time. :o

I must've just ignored that message about the music track when I made the disk (it was late at night, as I recall). When I played it from my CD drive the music was fine because I have it out on my hard drive and it knew where to look! :wall:

Let's see if I can fix this and then I'll send it again. You should get it...oh...about July 12th! :laughing:

I'm so sorry.... :o

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Oy, I'm still wheezing...the dogs think I'm nuts...

Probably, you do, too, eh? :o

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I got a funny message about the music track when I tried to package it.

If you can right click on the CD drive and check properties, it should tell you how much used space is on the disk, rainbow. It should be over 70 M...if it's not, we've got a problem :o

It says:

Used Space 18.7MB
Free Space 661MB
Capacity 680MB

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
:laugh:

Ummmm...no problem, Hazel. :D

At least the weather should be fine by then and the planes will be landing regular. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yep...18.7 M of slides. :rolleyes:

If I'd done it right, it would have been over 70 M. I think I'm gonna hafta try to rename the music file--the name of the file was too long--that's the only reason it couldn't copy it to the CD :rolleyes:

*sigh*

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
:laugh:

Ummmm...no problem, Hazel. :D

At least the weather should be fine by then and the planes will be landing regular. :laughing:

:laughing: That was my thought, too! :p :laughing:

See, rainbow? You're not such a computer dummy. Everything went great once you got it! It was the stuff at this end that was shtoopid! :D

breeze
January 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
couldn't you just email her the music hazel, so she can open the email while watch the slide show??

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Well I don't understand any of the technical stuff....I just put things in and push a button then if stuff doesn't work I'm screwed. :rolleyes:

So here is a stoopid question....

You mentioned that you couldn't use a "share site" as the max size allowed is 50M and the music track is 51.9M .......couldn't you just shorten the music? :o

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
couldn't you just email her the music hazel, so she can open the email while watch the slide show??

Hopefully that will work. :D :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Chris21711
January 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I saw the thread title and thought, pfft I didn't give anyone the authoritay to open a thread in my name :clown:

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
So here is a stoopid question....

You mentioned that you couldn't use a "share site" as the max size allowed is 50M and the music track is 51.9M .......couldn't you just shorten the music? :o

Not a stupid question...I thought of that, but I don't have any software that allows me to edit the music. :frustrated:

Sigh...I wish. :o It's 51.8 M in size so too big for me to email. Plus the powerpoint presentation has been told that the file is in that spot on my hard drive and therefore, even if I could email the music, it wouldn't know where to look.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to cut down the size of a music file? :shrug:

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
hazel, is that the song I uploaded to the share files place?

breeze
January 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Not a stupid question...I thought of that, but I don't have any software that allows me to edit the music. :frustrated:

Sigh...I wish. :o It's 51.8 M in size so too big for me to email. Plus the powerpoint presentation has been told that the file is in that spot on my hard drive and therefore, even if I could email the music, it wouldn't know where to look.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to cut down the size of a music file? :shrug:

you couldn't put it in a zip file to send??

do you have Nero?? or roxio??

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Ummm.....just remember that the dummy on this end doesn't have a clue what you're talking about so wouldn't know what to do with it. :laughing: :o

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
rainbow do you know the song name?

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
hazel, is that the song I uploaded to the share files place?

Yes. But she'd have to delete the file name that's attached and add the new one--and I'm not sure if she has powerpoint.

Do you have powerpoint, rainbow?

I have Nero. Every time I try to run it my machine freezes. It's an old version and the upgrades were too big for me to download :shrug:

I think I have a way to fix it, but now I gotta go make dinner. I'll do a little more :wall: and http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/14.gif when we're done with dinner. :D

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
oh, great...now I've screwed up my copy, too... :o battin' 1000! :laughing:

Oh, well. I did it once. I can do it again! Right this time. :D

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 04:03 PM
hmmmm

yes rainbow do let us know if you have powerpoint

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
ohhh dear hazel

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner....had to take a phone call. :o

Yes, I have Power Point.....and when the cd starts it first says "Power Point Viewer".

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
:lightbulb:

Is the music to the song online somewhere? Then I can play it a couple of times and then hum it in my head when I play the cd. :laughing:

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM
that is the powerpoint viewer

That is packaged with the cd (hazel done good doing that)

the actual powerpoint program if you have it it will be under start->programs-> (office->?) powerpoint.

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, I have Power Point.....and when the cd starts it first says "Power Point Viewer".

Yep, that was packaged with the files. :o

:lightbulb:

Is the music to the song online somewhere? Then I can play it a couple of times and then hum it in my head when I play the cd. :laughing:

That would be good! LOL

However, I fixed it, burned a couple more CDs and will send it out as soon as I can get into town. :laughing: I emailed the other person I'd mailed it to, and she said hers didn't play music either. So she's gettin' the other one! :o

aslan
January 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
ladies, if you use winzip or winrar to compress it you may get it small enough that you can email it. that's how dm and i made the rainbow thread thingy.

now i want to know what the song is too.

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
It's the somewhere over the rainbow rendition/medley done by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.

I don't have a zip program. :shrug:

aslan
January 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
lol, dm just sent it to me, i love that song.. can't you send the file to dm like i did, if i could remember how i did that.

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 08:28 PM
You mean the slide file? Not when it's over 14 M in size. :o

If rainbow can copy the song from online to her My Music folder, the presentation on the CD might be able to locate it.

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I still have it uploaded I can send it to rainbow that way

Smiley14
January 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hazel, you can resize music files right in Windows Media Player, which you would have free on your computer if you have Windows. Import the song, drag to the timeline, and resave to your computer at a smaller size. I do this all the time. Otherwise Megaupload is a site you can upload it to and Rainbow could download it from. However, with your dial-up 70MB could take you several hours to upload, LOL! But it would be doable. I upload and share files as large as 350MB with Megaupload all the time. Their limit is 500MB.

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have Windows Media Player...couldn't figure out a way to do it, though... let me try it again... :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I don't even see an import function much less a timeline :o I dont' use Media Player very often.

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hmmm maybe I can get rainbow to send it to me (saved from Cd to her hardrive) I might be able to fix & remake it. hazel if that is ok?

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM
How are you going to set up the timing? :shrug:

Probably easier for me to just mail the new CD. It only costs a couple of bucks. :D

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
ok then :) your call

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hazel, you can resize music files right in Windows Media Player, which you would have free on your computer if you have Windows. Import the song, drag to the timeline, and resave to your computer at a smaller size.

One of these days you'll have to talk me through this, Smiley! I've been looking at Media Player, and now I'm still intrigued and still totally lost. :o :laughing:

I hate technology... :rolleyes:

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hazel I Think Maybe with Sound recorder? (Comes with Windows) Under accessories

if you play the song while sound recorder is recording you can do it that way.

That is how I have done it

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Oooooo...I do have that. Never used it, though. Let me go play. :D

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Um....only, how do you save it as smaller? :o

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Never mind. :thumbs up

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
LMAO sorry girl I am watching kittys/entertaining Diamond/in TJT & eating. LOL

Iz a lil slow

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I knocked both ends off it. Sounds okay in the beginning but can't get the fade back in the end where I truncated it.

Smiley14
January 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Sound Recorder records ALL sounds, including the external ones..like a phone ringing, a dog barking, your sniffling...LOL! But it's a fast option for quick things. I use it once in a while, mostly if I need to record my voice for something though and then I shut the door and turn off the phone to try to avoid outside noise.

Hazel, I actually have a Windows Media Player tutorial I made a few years ago. But it's about 100MB, LOL! I recorded myself doing various functions and explaining them as I went. I make music videos and slide shows quite a bit and even belong to a WMM forum, LOL, so am pretty fluent with it. I'm at work at the moment, but I can type up a little tutorial for you tomorrow for the basics. It's super easy! :)

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Do you mean Windows MOVIE Maker?

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Sound Recorder records ALL sounds, including the external ones..like a phone ringing, a dog barking, your sniffling...LOL! But it's a fast option for quick things. I use it once in a while, mostly if I need to record my voice for something though and then I shut the door and turn off the phone to try to avoid outside noise.

Not a prob here...I never hooked up the mike on my monitor :o

Hazel, I actually have a Windows Media Player tutorial I made a few years ago. But it's about 100MB, LOL! I recorded myself doing various functions and explaining them as I went. I make music videos and slide shows quite a bit and even belong to a WMM forum, LOL, so am pretty fluent with it. I'm at work at the moment, but I can type up a little tutorial for you tomorrow for the basics. It's super easy! :)

That'd be great!! :thumbs up Thanks, Smiley!

Smiley14
January 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Do you mean Windows MOVIE Maker?

Sorry, yes, typing too fast since I'm at work! :) Hazel, I'll throw something together for you tomorrow night. I'll be sleeping in since I'm working late tonight and then have a car appt and then back to back training classes for Belle and Jelly, and then a hair appt. I should get home around 7ish, so I'll work on it then!

Diamondsmum
January 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
LOl smiley No problems :)

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry, yes, typing too fast since I'm at work! :) Hazel, I'll throw something together for you tomorrow night. I'll be sleeping in since I'm working late tonight and then have a car appt and then back to back training classes for Belle and Jelly, and then a hair appt. I should get home around 7ish, so I'll work on it then!
Okay, I've got Movie Maker, too...wondered about that when you said 'timeline'. :thumbs up

No hurry...I've already 'rebuilt' the CD for rainbow and will mail it out, but hubby really wants to post this to the web so if I can get the music file under 50 M, all would be right with his world (give or take the deep freeze outside :laughing:)

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Now I'm all excited :goodvibes:

But truly, Smiley...I'm in no hurry, so no pressure to get it done quick :o

rainbow
January 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Okay, the computer dummy is sooooo lost. :o

Hazel, if you can figure something out from everyone's suggestions then don't go to all the trouble of re-sending another cd. :D

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Actually...the easiest option is for me just to send the new CD, rainbow. Cuz until and unless I can cut that blasted music down to size, it'll be our only option! LOL

Easiest for you, too :thumbs up

I won't be able to get into town to mail it till next week sometime...and if by some miracle I figure out how to make the music file smaller and post it on a share site somewhere by then, well, I just won't mail it... :D

Smiley14
January 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Ok, here are the steps to import a song into WMM and then re-save to your computer at a smaller size:

Open up Movie Maker
On left, you'll see the "Task" options:
1. Capture Video
2. Edit Movie
3. Finish Movie

Click on the arrow after Capture Video to expand your option under that section. You'll see:
Capture From Video Device
Import Video
Import Pictures
Import Audio or Music

In this case, double-click on Import Audio or Music.
Another Window will open. In this window, find where your song is saved on your computer. Select the song and click on Import.

The song will appear as a thumbnail on the middle section of Movie Maker, known as "Collections."

Along the bottom of Movie Maker, you can see three horizontal bars. This is your timeline. You can see the top bar of the timeline is for videos, the middle bar is for Audio/Music, and the third is for Titles. You want to drag your song down to the Audio/Music section of your timeline. Put your mouse on the thumbnail of your song and drag it by right clicking on your mouse and moving or dragging the song down to the Audio section of the timeline.

To save, we want to "Finsih Movie." Go back to the options or tasks on the left hand side. Click on the arrow after Finish Movie to expand your options under that section. You'll see an option to Save to my Computer.
Double click on Save to my computer. Another window will open up. Name the song and choose where you want to save to your computer and hit next. It will then say:
Best quality for playback or
see other choices.
Double click on See Other Choices. You'll see:
Best Quality for playback
Best Fit to File Size
Other Settings

Select Best Fit to File Size and choose whatever size you want to save the song as and click next. It will then save to your computer. You can close down Movie Maker and find the song wherever you saved it on your computer. It will be saved as a WMV file. This can be uploaded to a share site or emailed.

My laptop has Vista on it and a different version of WMM. This is the steps for XP. If you do have Vista, let me know as it's slightly different. I have my old latop that has XP on it still as well, but the sound doesn't work on it so I also recorded the steps for you, but it has no sound unfortunately. But it might still help you? I uploaded it here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8D5MOXHY) for you. It's only 600kb, so should be fine for you to download on dial-up. :) To download from this site, you will see a little box at the top where it wants you to enter a three letter code. Enter the three letters and click on download. It will show you two download options in two columns. Ignore the first column, it's for premium users. The second column will have a count down on it for 45 seconds. After it counts down, a download button will appear. Click on the "free download" button and choose to save to your computer. If you're able to re-size the song, you can then upload it to this same site to share it with Rainbow.

These are probably too big for you to download, but here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GY9CHGD0)is the portion of an old tutorial I made a few years ago for a friend. I edited it down to just the section where I talk about importing, but it's still 12MB, so not sure if you can download that or not. And if you're really feeling crazy, LOL, here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R3XBSYZV) is my full 37 minute tutorial. It's 100MB though, so pretty big! I made it a few years ago for a friend, so I'm talking to her and she already knew some of the basics, so I'm moving pretty fast. Not sure if it would make such sense to someone unless they knew the bare bones basics of WMM. And in this case, we were working with TV episodes instead of home movies. But it's all the same idea. :) I wish I could remake one, but my old laptop has no sound and my current one has Vista, so a different version than XP's. But hopefully this will help! :)

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Oh, :thankyou:, Smiley! It is perfectly understandable! :thumbs up I'll give it a try later when I can devote all my attention to it.

rainbow
January 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Oh, :thankyou:, Smiley! It is perfectly understandable! :thumbs up I'll give it a try later when I can devote all my attention to it.

I'm sure glad that it is perfectly understandable to you, Hazel, cuz it's gobbley-dook to me. :o

Sending lots of :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for it to work.

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Understanding and being able to do it are two different things, though :laughing: But I'm still :fingerscr that this works...

Do you know if .wav and .wmv are compatible, Smiley? I think PowerPoint wants a wav file... :o

Smiley14
January 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Understanding and being able to do it are two different things, though :laughing: But I'm still :fingerscr that this works...

Do you know if .wav and .wmv are compatible, Smiley? I think PowerPoint wants a wav file... :o

Oh sorry, another typo! :o It will actually save a music file as WMA. WMV is how it saves a video file. Sorry about that!!!! I am in serious need of some sleep, LOL! But WMA and WAV are basically interchangeable. If it doesn't like the WMA for some odd reason, you can actually just change the file extension from WMA to WAV and the song still plays just fine.

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM
But WMA and WAV are basically interchangeable. If it doesn't like the WMA for some odd reason, you can actually just change the file extension from WMA to WAV and the song still plays just fine.
Excellent!!! I was hoping that would be true! :grouphug:

Diamondsmum
January 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hazel... Just a FYI you can import your pics do captions funny stuff in Movie maker and for file upload, (Might be easier next time?)

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hazel... Just a FYI you can import your pics do captions funny stuff in Movie maker and for file upload, (Might be easier next time?)

I'm more familiar with PowerPoint so it'd still be easier for me than learning MM. With powerpoint I faded elements in and out of slides...not sure if you can do that in MM? :shrug:

Diamondsmum
January 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
yup you can hazel I actually made the rainbow bridge also in MM :) as an experiment.

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Worked like a charm, Smiley! Cut the music from 51.8 M to just under 7 M! :thumbs up Now if I can just get a decent connection... :rolleyes:

Smiley14
January 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Awesome!!!! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 22nd, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah, it was slick! :thumbs up Thank you so much!! :highfive:

I still can't upload it, though. :o My connection usually lasts for just long enough to upload the music...which is only half as long as I need to upload the slides! :rolleyes: I'm thinking I'll put it on a flash drive and have hubby upload it from work. :shrug:

rainbow
January 22nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
I hope it works so you won't have to go through the hassle of mailing to me. :D

hazelrunpack
January 22nd, 2009, 02:13 AM
It's a moot point. Mailed it yesterday! :laughing: You see how much faith I have in my connection! :rolleyes: :p

rainbow
January 22nd, 2009, 02:31 AM
Let's hope it doesn't take as long to get here this time. :goodvibes: