Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fixed cat acting like she's in heat. Please help!

Winter1lover
January 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Ok, this is a very strange story.
Just last month I went with my nephew to the pound to let him pick out a cat, a birthday gift from me to him. Well, at first I was sure he was going to get a kitten, but strangely enough he found this lovely older cat. Abby.
When we asked, it turned out that she would've been put down the very next day. So, since she was also discounted, we ended up buying her and taking her home.
Since I already have four cats of my own (My nephew and sister live here on the temp,) I wasn't really worried about getting them to like each other. I mean, I survived demon cat (My sister's old cat, whom she left with us when she moved to an appartment.) that's the cat who the vet asked us not to bring in again lol.
Anyway, from day one the other cats HATED this new one. I kept waiting for it to pass but it hasn't.
And now she's acting like she's in heat and our fixed 10 month old male kitten is humping her. I don't understand what is going on. She's yowling and rubbing against everything. I've gotten all my cats from the pound and never had a problem with it, but if I didn't know better I would say she wasn't fixed at all.
I've read that it could be some tissue left over. I mean, she has a HUGE scar on her stomach because she was brought in pregnant and they aborted the litter.
I don't know what to do about this. Should I call the pound and see what they say? I mean, it's to the point where my mom is thinking about taking her back. She's just not fitting in at all.
:shrug:

Any advice would be really helpful!

14+kitties
January 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
My best advice - take her to the vet and have her checked over.
Was she aborted at the shelter you got her from or another one? We just had a member a while back who adopted a cat they thought was fixed but it turns out she wasn't. The shelter folks thought they felt a scar but it wasn't. Ask at the shelter where she was fixed. At their shelter or was she brought in from a different shelter?

As far as her not getting along with the other cats. How was she socialized with them? Did you just put her in with the others and hope for the best or was a gradual meeting done? It is never a good idea to just put cats together and hope they get along.

This is a great site to learn how to incorporate another cat into your house. This lady has gone through just about every experience with her cats.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Please reconsider taking her back to the shelter. If she was one day away from being put down when you got her then you can guarantee this time she will be put down. :sad: If you can't keep her then see if you can find a rescue in your area who can maybe take her in.

14+kitties
January 15th, 2009, 10:33 PM
A few more things.....

One thing you can do is to rub baby powder on your hands and then pet all of the cats. The new one first. She smells differently than the others do. That is probably a lot of what they are reacting to. If you have no baby powder then a small dab of vanilla under all of their chins so they all smell the same works too.
It takes time and patience to bring another cat into a house where there already are cats. Please ask your mom to be patient. If you can keep the new kitty in a room of it's own (your bedroom or something) and start afresh with the introductions it may help.

Love4himies
January 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
14+kitties has given great advice. I would call the shelter back and let them know that she is in heat and confirm whether she was spayed when they aborted the kittens. Yes, it is very possible for some ovarian tissue to be left behind and that would cause her to go into heat.

Are all your other cats spayed and neutered? If not one reason she is not fitting in could be because she is giving off a strong scent.