Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat has an injured/infected eye

Scrappy
July 30th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Hi there,

My 12 year old male cat has an infected/injured eye. I am hoping I can treat it without surrending to the vet. DOes anyone know if I could use polysporin drops and give him Clavamox antibiotic (left over from when my feline had an absess).

His eye and cheek are very swollen and its closed shut with yellowish liquid ooozing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW: He is an outdoor cat and I am thinking perhaps he got into a fight.

Jackie467
July 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM
this sounds like something you definetly need to take your cat to the vet for. I wouldn't suggest putting any drops or using any antibiotics untill you have at least talked to the vet about it on the phone. I hope you are able to get him to the vet becuase an eye infection can be fatal, especially in an older cat.

heidiho
July 30th, 2004, 05:42 PM
His eye and cheek are very swollen and its closed shut with yellowish liquid ooozing I would at least call vet..

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2004, 06:12 PM
This sounds like an abcess, which outdoor cats commonly get from fighting. At 12 years old, he needs to be kept in, as he is going to lose every fight he is in.

Why don't you want to take him to the vet? He must go, as this needs to be drained and flushed out and appropriate medications given.

I don't know if you have ever had one, but abcesses on the head are particularly PAINFUL and dangerous.

chico2
July 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
We all know how dangerous cat-bites can be,I know from personal experience and emergency-room visits,how quickly they can turn nasty and dangerous.Cat on cat is even worse because of the size of a cat.He could die in terrible pain,a vet-visit is an absolute must.After that,try keeping him inside or it will just happen again..

Scrappy
July 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Hi,

Thank you everyone for your advice. So many of my friends and family insisted on trying to treat it myself with warm compressions and eye-drops, but I did end up taking him in.

The vet was unable to do an exam of the eye as it was so swollen, but she didnt see any wounds around it. He's got an absess under his eye. His eye was flushed, he was given an anti-inflammatory injection and put on an antibiotic and topical cream. They didnt drain the absess thou.

He's got a cone on his head (to prevent him from scratching) and he is going NUTS. Banging into things, fighting to get it off. Poor baby, I hope he recovers soon.

Thanks again for all your help

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Scrappy, thank you. Thank you for taking the responsible and logical route; your cat was in need of a vet, you did the right thing!! I hope that it wasn't too late and the cat will not lose sight in his eye.!!! Please keep us updated on his condition!! :D

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Glad to hear you took him in!:) Abcesses should always be treated by the vet.

Hope your ol' guy feels better soon!!

Scrappy
August 5th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Hi folks,

Well, I took the cat back to vet today. His eye is still pretty swollen. Now the vet is saying he could have a tooth root abscess, a severe infection, or possibly but not likely a tumor.

I hate not getting straight answers. I was told last week that his teeth were in mint condition.?!! So, what the heck could it be?

Has anyone had an experience like this with their cat? If so, what was wrong. He needs to take his antibiotics for 5 more days still but I am very concerned it could be somethign else.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Luba
August 5th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Here 'I' go again!! :D

You people (some of you) may be tired of me saying this BUT
Oregano oil works for treating infection very well and it's holistic.

You may want to get some and put it in some food for your cat to eat.
A little yogurt and two drops of oregano a couple times a day may work very well:D

Tala
August 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM
My cat used to be an outdoor cat and a few years ago she got into a fight with another cat. The cat scratched her just above the eye. It became infected so I took her to the vet and he gave her some pills. It cleared up very quickly. The eye was closed and it looked as though someone had put a white marble under her eyelid. :)