Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

U.S. Airways passenger plane down in NY river

Melinda
January 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
everyone rescued and they say birds knocked out both engines, the pilot is being hailed as a hero for guiding the plane into the river instead of population

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSN1554127920090115

Karin
January 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM
The pilot paid attention to his training and many years of experience, with only seconds to react. And the two member crew should be lauded as hero's.
Ditching is extremely dangerous, especially in an aircraft the size of the Airbus.
The river was the pilot in commands only option, he was running out of everything and fast. Little altitude and losing airspeed called for quick action. Any other choice would have been a fatal error for all on board and on the ground
I have been flying since 1981 and my father flew for Pan Am. While I was not the pic but just a tag a long crew member in 1986 we had to ditch a C-402B 40 miles south of Key West. It happened so fast, there was no time to think. If we were landing on tissue paper it would not have even torn..it was that smooth. We stepped out on the wing and a nearby charter boat picked us up, we didn't get wet. Someone on the boat handed me a rum drink and it went down as fast as we did. I also had a sudden urge to do laundry. This brings back the nightmare.
Give that crew a raise!

Dog Dancer
January 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Karin, scary story. Glad it all turned out for you guys and for this recent incident too. The crew certainly are heroes. My father (RIP) was also a pilot and had a few very close calls, but never had to ditch or crash land thank goodness. Not a job I would envy to be perfectly honest with you. So glad the crew on this plane had it all together. Bless them.

Love4himies
January 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
The pilot paid attention to his training and many years of experience, with only seconds to react. And the two member crew should be lauded as hero's.
Ditching is extremely dangerous, especially in an aircraft the size of the Airbus.
The river was the pilot in commands only option, he was running out of everything and fast. Little altitude and losing airspeed called for quick action. Any other choice would have been a fatal error for all on board and on the ground
I have been flying since 1981 and my father flew for Pan Am. While I was not the pic but just a tag a long crew member in 1986 we had to ditch a C-402B 40 miles south of Key West. It happened so fast, there was no time to think. If we were landing on tissue paper it would not have even torn..it was that smooth. We stepped out on the wing and a nearby charter boat picked us up, we didn't get wet. Someone on the boat handed me a rum drink and it went down as fast as we did. I also had a sudden urge to do laundry. This brings back the nightmare.
Give that crew a raise!

That incident sounds so familiar.

Karin
January 20th, 2009, 12:44 AM
The world is full of hero's of all kinds, sports, music and this. The crew of this US AIR flight are true hero's.

I know all to well about that decision to make a lobster hotel of your ride. It happens to quick, you call on every brain cell you did not even know you owned. And to be responsible for another 150 passengers..geez!
This guy needs a break, he was not only the pilot in command but he was also a passenger, facing the same fate of on board. He hasn't been allowed the "shaking in my shoes" reflex that comes a few day's after an incident like this. He needs time to come to his own.
I am sure the gala events today brings were not on his mind either. He would most likely want to be at home, with his family..adjusting. Now he is being used.
I feel for Scully's family.

As far as this incident goes, it will be a good thing, a training experience. Not what went wrong, but what went right.