Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescued Cat

claw
January 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hello everyone,
I recently rescued a stray cat. I live outside of my community, about 4 miles. I think that this cat was abandoned by it's previous owners.

I took Rove (cat) to the vet to have him checked out and the vet said that he is in pretty good health. The only problem is that he has an upper respiratory infection which the vet said is not a big deal. She gave me Amoxicillin for the infection. He also has a little bit of dandruff which the vet said is common for a cat that hasn't been eating a balanced diet.

Rove has been living with me for almost a week and his coughing has almost completely stopped. I am feeding him Wellness indoor formula and giving him a brewer's yeast supplement for the dandruff.

He is very well behaved except for one little problem. I also have a dog and Rove keeps on trying to eat the dog's food. I put the dog's food up on a table but when i go to sleep at night he jumps up on the table and eats the food. My dog won't eat out of her bowl now. I'm not sure why. My mom says it may be because the bowl is not in it's usual place. She has no problem with the water bowl which is still in it's original spot.

I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

claw
January 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Clawzz/Rove019.jpg
This is Rove on his bed.

badger
January 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
What a cutie. Thank you for taking him in, I'm sure you will be repaid a thousand fold.

I take it you leave your dog's bowl down throughout the day and he 'grazes'? Thing is, although not fatal, dog food is definitely not good for cats. Do either of them sleep with you? Can you keep the cat in your room at night, with the door closed?

You can also start teaching him to stay away from the dog's bowl by either offering him some kibble of his own (bribery) or reacting with a loud NO when he approaches it. Cats can learn, it just takes patience.

Some of the cats I have taken in, because they are half-starved, have totally uncontrolled appetites. It should get better, once he realizes he doesn't have to worry where is next meal is coming from.

Good luck.

krdahmer
January 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for taking that cutie in!!! :lovestruck::thumbs up

You could also try feeding them both on a schedule, so they know they each get their food the same time every day (or twice a day or three times a day... whatever) and have a set amount of time to eat it, then take it away in between. That didn't work here so well but then here it's 6 finicky cats and I'm sure if I wasn't so weak I could pull it off here too!

Best of luck, and I agree, once he knows food is always coming, he'll be less ravenous.

claw
January 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I can for sure feed Rove on a schedule, but not Jet (dog). She is a very picky dog. She only eats when she wants to, so doing it on a schedule won't work for her. Before Rove came along we just left her food out for her so she could eat whenever she was hungry. My mom has started to hide the dog food in the dog food container so i think that will solve the problem of the mid night snacking.

We actually caught Jet snacking on Rove's food eariler this evening. Lol. I guess now they are even.