Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chinchillas

meggie1425
July 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Im thinking of buying a chinchilla, however the rest of my family does not like the smell of shavings :( so i was wondering if it is possible to use newspaper or something else instead?
I know chinchillas are not very common pet, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
-Megan

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Chinchillas are not really uncommon, but are often dumped. In fact someone near me just rescued 18 of them from the SPCA! :eek:

These rodents are very active and need HUGE cages, and the right kind of food. They also CANNOT tolerate heat, so if you live where summers are hot, you will need an air conditioned room for them, as they will quickly die from being overheated. Cages must be kept clean.

They need plenty of time outside the cage, but must be closely watched. They are very skittish and need a quiet home.

Never use cedar or pine shavings for any small animal. Chins like to dig, so need bedding and not newspaper. They can be trained to pee only in a litter box, but will poop all over the place.

These are not the easiest pets to own, so you must think about this carefully.

meggie1425
July 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks LuckyRescue for your reply. I think i was talking about bedding, not shavings, i didnt know they were different, i gusse its a good thing i asked :D I also didnt know you couldnt use pine or ceder, what should it be then? do they have odorless bedding? I didnt know i still had SO much research to do on chinchillas, so i better get to it right away, lol!
Thanks again
-Megan

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Pine and cedar shavings give off oils that are thought to cause respiratory problems in animals, so you can get either Aspen shavings, or a bedding called Carefresh at the pet store.

Chinchillas are not smelly, but of course can be if their cages are not kept very clean. Chins, like rats and guinea pigs, live in groups in the wild, so it would be best to get at least two.

And don't forget - you need A/C!!