Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food site

Luvmypitgirls
January 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I don't know if this has ever been posted somewhere on this site but I was informed of a great site www.dogfoodanalysis.com

There they rate dog foods 1-6 stars.

They don't rate run of the mill grocery brands.

I was surprised to find out that the Kirkland brand I have been using rates better than a lot of the food out there. While it rates 3 stars, it rates higher than Iams and Science Diet and others.

Of course I want to feed premium 6 star food, but with 4 mouths to feed and money being a bit tight right now, it's hard to make room in my budget.
So I have decided that I am going to mix the Kirkland and Orijen 50-50 for the time being, and when I can afford to go strictly Orijen I will.

Do you think mixing 50-50 will be alright for just a little while?

allymack
January 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
i cant see there being a problem mixing the two foods, that will also help with the transition to just orijen, when ever that may be.

Luvmypitgirls
January 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
i cant see there being a problem mixing the two foods, that will also help with the transition to just orijen, when ever that may be.

Allymack, I'm hoping it's sooner than later. The Orijen (6 fish), I put them on is 100% grain free.
I'm hoping it will help with Abby and Mac's allergies.

Etown_Chick
January 18th, 2009, 02:06 AM
pitgrls,
I switched Scruffy from Orijen regular to 6 fish and have seen an improvement much more quickly than expected. The vet suspects chicken is his issue.
The constant scratching and pawing at his ears is pretty much gone and his tummy is much happier.
But watch that chicken if that's your dog's issue - it's all over the darned place.

Luvmypitgirls
January 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
pitgrls,
I switched Scruffy from Orijen regular to 6 fish and have seen an improvement much more quickly than expected. The vet suspects chicken is his issue.
The constant scratching and pawing at his ears is pretty much gone and his tummy is much happier.
But watch that chicken if that's your dog's issue - it's all over the darned place.

Thanks for the heads up re:chicken. I haven't fed chicken as of yet, Lamb and rice and now Orijen 6 fish. I too already see a change in their coat, only after a few feedings, even with the Lamb and Rice mixed in.
Kato, my Rotti, has frequent ear infections, after some research I found out that beet root, beet pulp, can be attributed to frequent ear infections. He is on strictly Orijen 6 fish, but until the antibiotics he is on clears away the infection I will not be able to make a true determination if the beet root in the Kirkland was the culprit, but I am crossing my fingers.
Both Abby and Mac, are scratching less already, I am not mixing the Orijen 50/50 with the Kirkland, more like 70/30, more Orijen than Kirkland. Once the Kirkland is gone I will strictly feed Orijen.

It is a bit pricey, but if it's going to help them then of course it's worth every penny.