Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New here

pwrca
January 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hi all, I'm glad I found this webiste and forum. I'm soon to be a new pet owner, a mini, male, shortharied daschund (bk & tan). Reading many of the posts I can see many examples of concerns I will have, with good advice being provided. Its really great to see the enthusiam shared by everyone for their pets. I'm really looking forward to my puppy (Mooshie) coming home in a couple of weeks and I expect that I will be refering to this site often. Hopefully I may even beable to contribute and share my experiences.

Mat&Murph
January 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Hey and welcome!!!! Congrats on the new furbaby!! Can't wait to see some pics!! We Lovve pics here!!!

pwrca
January 15th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Here is a picture of Mooshie, can hardly wait till he's home with me. He will be ready to leave his mom and puppy family in a couple of weeks.

:):):)

Mat&Murph
January 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
:lovestruck: way too cute!!! you must be very excited!!!!!!! :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
What a little darling he is! :flirt: Have you puppy-proofed the house, yet? :D

Welcome to the board, Pete!

pwrca
January 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'm working on it. Mostly I've been reading a lot on the Daxie breed, trainiing and trying to educate myself on how to best teach my puppy. I haven't had a puppy in years. I'd put off getting a puppy untill I retired; to have the time to bond and teach it well. Now that Im retired the time seems right and a Dazie has always been my dream. I really want this to workout but I must admit that some of what I have read makes me a little nervous, back problems, stubborn nature etc. That is why I've been reading so much, I want to be well informed and hopefully be able to care and train my Mooshie to be a great companion.

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
If you have the time and are willing to put in the work with Mooshie, you're already well ahead of the game.

All individuals will be different, even within a breed. And even the most headstrong of individuals can be trained--sometimes it just takes a little longer to finally convince them that they want to do what you want them to. :D But patience and consistency pay off in the end.

angeldogs
January 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new furbaby.

He's a cutie pie.:cloud9:

pwrca
January 20th, 2009, 07:17 AM
As I previously poseted I will be getting a mini-daschund puppy (M, shorthair, Blk & Tan), in a couple of weeks. I have always wanted a daxie but never felt it would be the right thing to do while I was working and not have the time to dedicate to the demands of a puppy.

I have just recently retired and I feel now the time is right. I'll be home, have the time to spend caring and training but I seem to be getting a lot of heat from my family and friends. They keep asking why I would want to tie myself down at this point in life with the responsiblities of a pet.

Am I making a mistake? We, my wife and I are pretty much home bodies, we don't travel a lot, sure we do go out for dinners and other activities but most of the time we are home. Although I will be at home most of the time, I still plan to crate train my puppy, so that on the occasions we do go out, he will know and be comfortable in his den and not have free reign of the house. I think it is important that, like me, he will have his own space and private time.
Guess Im just look for a little re-assurance that Im making the right choice.

Melinda
January 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
being as we are all pet lovers, I'd say you're making a very good choice, I'm owned by a lab/shepherd and my husband and I are empty nesters, we belong to a motorcycle club and do go on over nigh trips, at these times my daughter either moves back in to care for Brina or we take her there, we also board her at her trainers kennel in Cornwall/avonmore. My suggestion to you is that if you are taking obedience classes with your pup is to ask around for a suitable boarding kennel and take the pup there to get use to it on the occasion that you and your wife do want to get away for a weekend. There are also many hotels/motels that allow dogs under 35 pound. Welcome to the world of doggie ownership, you wont' regret it!

pwrca
January 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Thank you, Melinda

Its good to hear that you can be retired and still be a responsible pet owner. Pretty much the way I see it, don't know why some people have to be so critical. Like you, both my sons have said that they would be willing to pet sit, should we plan a short get away. My oldest son is a little more keen than the younger one but I know they would both be reliable. I have alread looked into puppy kindergarden, we have a local trainer here in Russell who has a solid reputation. She says that as soon as Mooshie is about 4 months and has had his shots, we can begin classes. She said she would also be available prior to that, should I need any help or advice. I'm also going to be in contact with our local Vet, to have Mooshie checked over and aligned for his booster and other shots. Ruth, our local Vet was really good with our Hymalian cat Chanel, before she passed away. So I am confident Mooshie will be in good hands.

Thanks for the encouragement.

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM
You think you're getting flak for adopting one, you should try adopting 8. :laughing: My family thinks we're nuts! But like you, we don't travel much (and always choose dog-friendly destinations that won't bat an eyelash at the arrival of 8 rambunctious dogs....so ya, we don't travel much :laughing:) and I'm home all day to take care of our nudniks. We both love dogs. It works for us. :shrug:

It sounds like you've thought this through thoroughly. You love dogs. You've made plans in case you're gone for a while. You've examined your lifestyle. And you're retired! You sound like the ideal candidate for adopting a dog! :thumbs up

Imo, you should ignore the family on this one. :D Just be aware that dogs can be addictive. in other words, don't end up like hazel! :crazy:

SnowDancer
January 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Definitely do not let others stop you from adopting your pup - yes, they can tie you down, but you are lucky that your sons have indicated they would be willing to pet-sit for you (but it would be a good idea to find a Plan B). I would suggest you see if there is a chapter of the Dachshund Association in your area. I know Ottawa but I don't know "Russell" - but just after our last Dachshund died in 2004 a Dachshund group was set up in Toronto - they get together for meet-ups, events etc. and many have formed relationships to point where they do baby-sit for each other - as well as the added benefit of the dogs being able to play with each other - and of course, they all have the same questions re food, exercise, health issues etc. I would have loved to be able to have joined this group. Unfortunately Toronto does not have an American Eskimo group and the Dachshund group wouldn't let us join! Do you have any idea as yet of the temperament of your pup? Sometimes it is clear from the get-go - other times it takes a little longer for Dachshund to show he/she is super Alpha (love these guys). If Alpha, you may find that after a bit the crate will be looked at with disdain. Ours were all rescues - youngest was 6 months - but even then he did not know how to walk on a leash, etc. - he learned fast - but when confronted with a crate he gave us the "eye" - and of course slept in the bed. Once again, I strongly urge you to look into VetInsurance for possible back problems - and get a ramp for couch to bed. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your pup - and don't forget that sweater. Sure hope the bus strike ends soon - it was a nightmare over Christmas in Ottawa - and with the very cold weather - Dachshunds don't like cold weather - heck my Eskimo isn't too thrilled right now either - you will want to keep the little angle bundled up.

pwrca
January 22nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Still two more weeks till Mooshie is ready to leave his litter mates and come home to join our family. The waiting game is difficult. I had the chance to visit Mooshie this week, he has grown so much. I was so excited to see that the breeder and her familly started calling Mooshie by his name, Im not sure if he is actually responding to his name but when called he and his two sister puppies all come LOL, The poor girls will be confused, well maybe not it seems one of the girls has just been name Roxy by her new owner and the other is now being called Dollie by the breeder. It looks like Dollie will be staying with the breeder; she is adorable blk & cream. The mother Daisy is still letting the puppies nurse, a bit, but she impatiently pushes them away. All of the puppies are now eating dry kibble, not even moistened any more. It was so much fun to watch the puppies play and interact. Based on watching the puppies I would say Mooshie is the aplha, leader of the pac. It was a thrill to see all of the puppies and of course Mooshie. Ahhhhh two more weeks of waiting. Here are a couple of pics of Mooshie and Mooshie and Mom.

pwrca
January 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'll have to learn more about resizing the photos ... LOL

Melinda
January 22nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
oh he is such a doll!!! I'm partial to black dogs *L*