Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

5.5 month old 'kittens' nursing off spayed mom!

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Hi, hi! I haven't been here in awhile.

It's pretty funny to see the babes and mom, they are HUGE but still 'nurse'. Can she even make milk if spayed?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/captainolimar/Family/spothercnursing.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/captainolimar/Family/spotherc.jpg

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 02:13 AM
ugh, sorry to post again, I forgot to mention she was spayed a week before Christmas and has healed up perfectly. Such a sweet cat. :) The two babes, Spot and Hercules are due to be neutered on the 23rd. It's nerve wracking to have them go under but it must be done.

ownedbycats
January 15th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Hi, I have the same situation you do. I took in a pregnant stray, she had kittens, I found homes for all but one ( although since he is staying here permanently I guess he did find a home, ours!), and now the mom has been spayed, like yours just before Christmas. And just like yours, her one remaining 5 & 3/4 month old kitten is still nursing (Misty isn't thrilled with this but MooBoots just won't give up, he wears her down). I know she isn't producing any milk because the vet wouldn't spay her until the milk dried up to reduce complications. Maybe this is what happens if Mom doesn't have another litter to take care of?

14+kitties
January 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
It is just a comfort thing. They will either grow out of it soon or Mom will get to the point where she won't allow it. I have one here who suckles a female who isn't his mom and has never had a litter. No biggie. And no milk production is going on.

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
One of Sweet Pea's kittens who I had until she was 6 months old nursed off Sweet Pea even though Sweet Pea was spayed. She would do it and fall asleep instantly.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I foster kittens and cats all the time. I have a mother and 3 babies right now. I cannot tell you how many times my other cat has 'adopted' babies, she will really mother them, i have had cats produce milk for kittens that were not theirs.. its crazy some cats love babies I guess... the mother cat I have here now is super duper protective, she will let all the cats but one near them but not one cat or any dog, she gets nasty, my lab is not used to mean cats and is shocked when she gets scratched! I am keeping the mother though. I am not going to find her a new home after what she has been through, the way she looks at me, and she trusts me... she will stay forever I am in love... :)

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hi, I have the same situation you do. I took in a pregnant stray, she had kittens, I found homes for all but one ( although since he is staying here permanently I guess he did find a home, ours!), and now the mom has been spayed, like yours just before Christmas. And just like yours, her one remaining 5 & 3/4 month old kitten is still nursing (Misty isn't thrilled with this but MooBoots just won't give up, he wears her down). I know she isn't producing any milk because the vet wouldn't spay her until the milk dried up to reduce complications. Maybe this is what happens if Mom doesn't have another litter to take care of?

Aww! It's just so sweet. :) Our Mama seems to like it, she licks them and purrs.

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
It is just a comfort thing. They will either grow out of it soon or Mom will get to the point where she won't allow it. I have one here who suckles a female who isn't his mom and has never had a litter. No biggie. And no milk production is going on.

I know with humans, stimulation on the nipples, like suckling, will indeed produce milk whether you are pregnant or dried up. It's just the stimulation that brings it on.

We have a little goat who rubs her bag on rocks and is full of milk all summer just from the stimulation.

I was curious if she could produce milk without a uterus though. I'll ask the vet on the 23rd.

I think it's sweet, everyone seems to enjoy it. It's funny to see such big kitties nursing. :)

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I foster kittens and cats all the time. I have a mother and 3 babies right now. I cannot tell you how many times my other cat has 'adopted' babies, she will really mother them, i have had cats produce milk for kittens that were not theirs.. its crazy some cats love babies I guess... the mother cat I have here now is super duper protective, she will let all the cats but one near them but not one cat or any dog, she gets nasty, my lab is not used to mean cats and is shocked when she gets scratched! I am keeping the mother though. I am not going to find her a new home after what she has been through, the way she looks at me, and she trusts me... she will stay forever I am in love... :)

This is how I felt with Mama. I couldn't give her up. After all she's been through, she was so skinny when we got her and don't know what kind of life she's had but she is very content here. :lovestruck:

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
One of Sweet Pea's kittens who I had until she was 6 months old nursed off Sweet Pea even though Sweet Pea was spayed. She would do it and fall asleep instantly.

Snowball is gorgeous! :lovestruck: