Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

possible break through?

allymack
January 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
well today enzo had a doggy play date/walk. He had never met this dog before, we have seen him a few times on our walks, but enzo would always freak out and bark and lunge, as usual. Today when Wilson ( the new dog, a little yorkie mix, very cute.) came out he barked, quite a bit ( but hes still a youngin ) enzo of course whipped his head around, but didnt bark (which was very surprising!) he got a little prancy, wanting to go over and see him, but i didnt let, since he usually will sniff for a second ( which i aways reward ) and then he will go at the dog a bit, not sure if he wants to hurt them or not, but i usually try to let him sniff and then walk away quickly before it escalates. But today we walked, and enzo was so good, didnt even really pay attention to wilson. and then i got a little distracted with our conversation and the two dogs were sniffing each other, and when i looked down they were just being really friendly, my first instint was to pull him away quickly, since i didnt want anything to happen, but i gave it a momnets thought and rewarded him and just tried to keep going calmly and he was fine. I was so happy, i am not sure why he was so nice to him, maybe he decided he is done with be aggressive? ( hopefully!!) or he might just be better with smaller dogs/ puppies. they played up at the field for a while, and he even came back when i called, every time. i am just so happy with my boy right now :)

babymomma
January 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Aww thats sooo great! Im glad he has a new yorkie friend! Keely used to bark and growl and nip at kacee's (GSD X lab) ankles. And of course i would seperate her from kacee. BUt When i finally left her alone. I realized she wasnt being agressive, it was her own little weird way of initiating play:shrug: She likes to play as ruff as kacee will allow. Yes, she has an identity crisis:rolleyes:

Its great though that he wasnt agressive! Too bad you couldnt get ppictures of the little guys huh? lol (Well, enzo isnt little)

diandpat
January 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM
That sounds like a very positive day for both of you :thumbs up

Perhaps because you were lost in conversation and not paying attention Enzo had not "negative energy" from you and just did what dogs do :shrug: Hope you can walk with Wilson again soon. :pawprint:

allymack
January 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
i already asked about more walks/playdates with wilson, and they agreed, which i am very happy about, although enzo does play a little rough for him, but i htink he will learn to ease up on that.

also enzo had about 40 mins of inside fecth ( the weatehr really wasnt good today, so i worked to tire him out as much as i could indoors before we went outside) before his walk, so its possible that it helped to get rid of any excess energy he had.

2Parises
January 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Congratulations!!! It'll be nice if you can do that with him often. :)

hazelrunpack
January 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM
That's great, allymack! :highfive: It's always a treat to have one of those positive-all-around days. Good boy, Enzo! (Did he get extra cookies when he got home? :D)

allymack
January 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
of course he got extra cookies when we got home, but he sure did get many on our walk!:dog: if the amount of treat alone wont help to stop him from barking at other dogs, i dont know what will.