Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Burrrrrr -20C

chico2
January 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM
OMG it was cold this morning:yell:-20C!!
Had to take hubby to the hospital,just some eye-surgery,nothing serious,but he had to be there at 7am.
I feel sooo sorry for all these people getting up to drive to work,trying to find a spot in the Go-Train parking-lot,I am soooo glad I don't have to do this every morning.Been there,done that:laughing:

Melinda
January 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
you and me both Chico, it was -26c when I got up at 5 am ....darn near froze running to the end of my driveway for my papers!!! told hubby it was a double long john day *L* Our porch door was frozen to the weather stripping and I had to use a hair blower to thaw it out, the poor turkeys weren't even here at their normal 7 am this mornning

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
The 401 was covered in black ice this morning. Very white knuckle drive into work this morning. Those darn transports though, I had one pass me at about 100km/hr :yell: :mad: :evil:. I and the other drivers were only doing between 60-70.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM
you and me both Chico, it was -26c when I got up at 5 am ....darn near froze running to the end of my driveway for my papers!!! told hubby it was a double long john day *L* Our porch door was frozen to the weather stripping and I had to use a hair blower to thaw it out, the poor turkeys weren't even here at their normal 7 am this mornning

I bet they are huddled somewhere trying to keep warm. In the back woods when it is cold, I can see where animals have tried to bury themslelves in the snow to sleep.

chico2
January 14th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Yeah,I feel sorry for all the animals out there,especially stray and lost cats and dogs:cry:
L4H,you are brave driving on black ice,be careful,ok!!
Our roads are nice and dry.
My cats will not go outside today and Bailey will get a very short poop-walk:dog:

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Yeah,I feel sorry for all the animals out there,especially stray and lost cats and dogs:cry:
L4H,you are brave driving on black ice,be careful,ok!!
Our roads are nice and dry.
My cats will not go outside today and Bailey will get a very short poop-walk:dog:

I do too, chico, in the cold all the animals are on my mind. I am always getting lectured on feeding the deer and turkeys, but I can't stand seeing anybody, human or animal, cold and hungry, it breaks my heart.

chico2
January 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM
You know,I think that's why we are still here in Oakville,moving to the country would be our ruination:laughing:I would be feeding everything,maybe I would even befriend a bear,well,maybe not:)

clm
January 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
You know,I think that's why we are still here in Oakville,moving to the country would be our ruination:laughing:I would be feeding everything,maybe I would even befriend a bear,well,maybe not:)

:laughing: Bears are smart, they hibernate the winter away. We should learn from them. :laughing:

Cindy

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Summer is not too bad, it is our harsh winters that are the killer. It doesn't cost too much to feed the deer. I get 88 lbs for 13 dollars at the local feed place and lasts two weeks for feeding on average 4 deer a night (last year I had to double their feedings because I had so many starving deer). It is a high calorie beef ration, which also doubles for food for the turkeys and blue jays.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM
:laughing: Bears are smart, they hibernate the winter away. We should learn from them. :laughing:

Cindy

Some do, they are called "Snow Birds" :laughing:. When we retire we are buying a motor home to travel down south for the winter. DH says he is going to strap a shovel to the front of the RV and at the first place that somebody ask what it is we are stopping. :laughing:

Melinda
January 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I do too, chico, in the cold all the animals are on my mind. I am always getting lectured on feeding the deer and turkeys, but I can't stand seeing anybody, human or animal, cold and hungry, it breaks my heart.

the ministry will turn a blind eye (in the counties) to people feeding deer/turkeys in the dead of winter, it prevents them from roaming into the city when there is no more food to be had, thus preventing highway accidents

SnowDancer
January 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM
My Eskimo who won't wear his boots was in and out pretty fast. My fingers stuck to the green/blue bins - tomorrow is garbage day.

Chico - what do you consider minor eye surgery? I am assuming NOT a Vitrectomy - I was caregiver for my husband after his Sept. 30 Vitrectomy - not pretty. And he has already started to develop a cataract on the eye - surgeon didn't think this would happen for at least 2 years. He was 59 at surgery date which is young. Unless he needs to have a second Vitrectomy -next up will be Cataract surgery - which awful as it is - seems like a piece of cake compared to a Vitrectomy. Hope your husband's eyes are okay. Due to all of this I had my eyes tested just in case - 20/20 - at almost 59 - thankfully!

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM
the ministry will turn a blind eye (in the counties) to people feeding deer/turkeys in the dead of winter, it prevents them from roaming into the city when there is no more food to be had, thus preventing highway accidents

Am I not allowed to feed the deer? :eek:

clm
January 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I've seen a number of shows where they discourage people from feeding deer. I never heard a really good reason why not, other than it brings healthy and sick deer together, which can then spread disease to an otherwise healthy population. I would feed them myself.

Cindy

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've seen a number of shows where they discourage people from feeding deer. I never heard a really good reason why not, other than it brings healthy and sick deer together, which can then spread disease to an otherwise healthy population. I would feed them myself.

Cindy

I can see that happening, last year they were so skinny by the end of the year that I am sure without my feed they would have died a horrible slow death :sad:.

Chris21711
January 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Am I not allowed to feed the deer? :eek:

Don't worry about it L4H, there are so many rules and regulations you will never keep up. Apparently the powers that be do not like regular folks interfering with nature :frustrated:

I can see that happening, last year they were so skinny by the end of the year that I am sure without my feed they would have died a horrible slow death :sad:.

Many probably did we had so much snow last year. Some of the hunters that hunt at the back of our place were taking feed out for them last year.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks Chris for the reassurance. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
January 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Um...I won't tell you what the temperature is here.:o

sugarcatmom
January 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Shush! That's enought outta you. :D

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM

SHUT UP! My parents are in Bonita Springs for the winter, I am not talking to them right know 'cause I know they are snickering :yell: :frustrated: :D

ancientgirl
January 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
:D Okay okay, I won't make you guys feel bad.

I have to say though, many a day when I've recalled my snowed in days in Michigan VERY fondly.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
:D Okay okay, I won't make you guys feel bad.

I have to say though, many a day when I've recalled my snowed in days in Michigan VERY fondly.

It may be fading from your memory so I think as a reminder you should have to go back and visit every January. :laughing:

aslan
January 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Better yet, just come here, we got cold and snow to fully refresh your memory. Just about had a heart attack when i walked out of the airport this morning.:eek:

ancientgirl
January 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
It may be fading from your memory so I think as a reminder you should have to go back and visit every January. :laughing:

LOL, the last time I went back was, I think in 1988 and man was I freezing my :censored: off. However, at the time I did manage to have lots of warm clothes with me and my friend and I spent a good bit of the time indoors. Living here, you really don't need coats and such for a huge chunk of the year. When the time comes for the few lower temperature days it's almost not worth spending the money.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Better yet, just come here, we got cold and snow to fully refresh your memory. Just about had a heart attack when i walked out of the airport this morning.:eek:

Rumour has it that it was YOU who brought this back with you from AB :frustrated:. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I had to laugh this morning when the morning shows out of New York were complaining about the +5 F windchills. If we're lucky, we'll make it to 5 F as a high here, and we're trying to ignore the wind chill. :D

In Wisconsin they regulate most deer feeding because it helps to spread CWD, which is on the rise.

aslan
January 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Rumour has it that it was YOU who brought this back with you from AB :frustrated:. :laughing:

Not me, uhuh, fg's dh says he'll send the chinook in a few days.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Not me, uhuh, fg's dh says he'll send the chinook in a few days.

Yup, think it was following your plane back.

That is mighty kind of fg's DH.

aslan
January 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
if i brought weather back it would have been the warm stuff they had out there. And my honey told me every night how cold and yucky it was here. so there.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
if i brought weather back it would have been the warm stuff they had out there. And my honey told me every night how cold and yucky it was here. so there.

Not true, she was cold cause she was missing her honey :lovestruck:

aslan
January 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Not true, she was cold cause she was missing her honey :lovestruck:

:laughing::laughing: with three big furry cuddle buds here i highly doubt that.

chico2
January 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Aslan,all done out West now???
You picked the right days to come home:evil:
I was walking Bailey and she would have none of the"short walk"I had planned on:laughing:well,by the time I took her out it was -11C,not too bad..

Snowdancer,hubby had cataract surgery and it was no problems,his second eye next week,apparently he won't need glasses any more when it's all done.
That means he'll see me clearly:yell:

diandpat
January 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I was walking Bailey and she would have none of the"short walk"I had planned on:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: What's with these "old girls" anyways??? Ginger was full of piss and vinegar today too, running like a puppy:laughing::laughing:. Poor Hobo looked like Tiny Tim, hobbling all around on his "frozen" paws :sad:

Even colder tomorrow so we will see how that goes. At least it is bright sunny and blue skies :thumbs up

aslan
January 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I was walking Bailey and she would have none of the"short walk"I had planned on:laughing:well,by the time I took her out it was -11C,not too bad..

Snowdancer,hubby had cataract surgery and it was no problems,his second eye next week,apparently he won't need glasses any more when it's all done.

for the moment chico, i may be going back out again then i'm definately going back after the babies born etc, to do fg's bathroom.

badger
January 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
The cats are so restless tonight, they are used to a short constitutional after their evening meal but it is waaaay too cold out there. The sun hits the back porch early in the day and stays until about 2 pm, making it almost comfortable, but once the sun is gone, brrr!

25 years of harsh winters - that's a wrap for me.

angeldogs
January 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I know way to cold.was the cold bothing your hubby's eyes at all.?

otter
January 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
OK I have to say it.... -20C would be down right balmy!

This was the headline of our local web news page

When 40 meets 40
http://www.wawa-news.com/images/stories/2009/01-January/hawkthermometer.jpg
see doesn't matter whether you are metric or old school :thumbs up

This was taken in Hawk Junction... about 15 min from where I live. It was waaaaaaaay too cold for my camera to work this morning. My car was plugged in and even it wasn't happy getting going (my clutch was frozen)

Let me tell you it's COLD. I sniffed my nose and my nostrils froze together :D

Even Molly won't go outside :eek:

had to cancel the morning shower cause the water is froze too :frustrated:
Oh well, it is winter :rolleyes:

So there! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/silly/neenerneener.gif

lUvMyLaB<3
January 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
oooohhhhhhhh -20!!! SOunds warm! I wanna go there!!! today it was -52 when I got up.. yup on CBC this morning we were the coldest place in canada.. it was 8 degrees warmer in the yukon!!! School was closed today YAY!! but tomorrow it will be only -47 so I will have to venture out but I enjoyed my day inside getting supper delivered and staying nice and toasty!

I wish you both all the best with the surgery I am sure everything will go great, best wishes!!! :)

otter
January 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
oooohhhhhhhh -20!!! SOunds warm! I wanna go there!!! today it was -52 when I got up.. yup on CBC this morning we were the coldest place in canada.. it was 8 degrees warmer in the yukon!!! School was closed today YAY!! but tomorrow it will be only -47 so I will have to venture out but I enjoyed my day inside getting supper delivered and staying nice and toasty!

I wish you both all the best with the surgery I am sure everything will go great, best wishes!!! :)

You are a BRAVE soul!!! I cannot imagine that kind of cold, it must be painful :yell: Manitobans are a very hearty breed I think :thumbs up I don't think I could even work if it was that cold, nope snuggling at home in bed with fuzzbuts would definitely be the order of the day :D

and Chico... good to hear all went well for hubby :goodvibes:

Karin
January 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
It's cold here and we're expecting tempts to drop to the teens tomorrow.
I know you folks up north are use to this but this is freakin' Florida!
Stuff dies in this kinda weather here, I have covered my night blooming jasmines and all others are inside.
How do you all (extreme up north) handle this?
I freeze in 90 degrees and have a blanket on in August.
I really feel for you frozen people in the north, I have a spare room too, until my son moves here.
Stay warm. Brrrr!

angeldogs
January 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Lucky him..my wife had surgery on both eyes for cataracts at age 36 and must wear glasses full time now.this cold weather is bothering her eyes.

otter
January 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I have a spare room too

My bags are packed :D

Seriously... it's not easy, life is quite challenging when it's so cold. Bears are smart :thumbs up

BusterBoo
January 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
cold? yup.....-39 this morning at 5:30 when I waited for my bus... 10 minute walk to the bus stop...5 minute wait....froze my :censored: ....

I did find someone who will drive me to and from work tomorrow...but...poor Buster! When I got home he had to go out and do his business.....I heard him crying after about 2 minutes...went out and he couldn't "poop".... his back feet were frozen! My God, I had to hold my dog's butt so he could do his thing...now THAT'S cold!!!!

My neighbours can now certifiably say...."she's crazy!!!!" :laughing:

Melinda
January 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
they don't want you feeding wildlife because they get use to "being" fed by humans and they lose their fear of them, so they get closer...and closer and then depend on humans for food, once brave they get bold...plus they say it upsets the balance of nature. But I'm sorry, by the last quarter of winter, most food is used up, deer are skinny......so I feed...mind you I drag the sacks of corn and bales of hay out to the bush.

Melinda
January 15th, 2009, 04:35 AM
woke up this morning at 5 am to -30c..............................

chico2
January 15th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Oh no,The Robin is drinking out of the bird-bath(have a heater),stupid bird not to fly south,got to buy him some raisins.

Angeldogs,I just took him to the eye-surgeon for a check,so far so good,those eye-drops are a pain though,sorry about your wife,maybe she needs the surgery again:confused:

I have kitty-pawprints on my deck:sad:,my patiotable is covered to the ground with a tarp,maybe a kitty went there for protection:sad:
I've got to keep an eye out..

This pic is from last winter of the dumb Robin,who chose to stay!

14+kitties
January 15th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Chico - I heard last week or the week before that there have been Robin sightings all winter. For some reason a lot of them didn't fly south this year.

Could it be those footprints are from the Calico? :frustrated: Stupid owners!

chico2
January 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
14+,I don't think it's from her,I think she's inside at night,also she is a little afraid of us,since we always shoo her away,so she would not come up on our deck.
There are other kitties I've seen around here,but I've figured out where they live.
Only one little black one I have a concern about,don't know where he's from,I'll watch for him.

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
they don't want you feeding wildlife because they get use to "being" fed by humans and they lose their fear of them, so they get closer...and closer and then depend on humans for food, once brave they get bold...plus they say it upsets the balance of nature. But I'm sorry, by the last quarter of winter, most food is used up, deer are skinny......so I feed...mind you I drag the sacks of corn and bales of hay out to the bush.

I put out fresh daily, and very little. I use a Max Scoop kitty litter container so really it is not too much and put in small piles in some shallow "v" shaped feeding troughs. This prevents a deer from eating from the same pile as a previous deer and keeps the feed off the ground. The feed is a combination of oats, wheat corn and thick molasses. In the years I have been feeding them they haven't gotten any tamer, lol. They just have to hear a noise and they are gone.

I heard you are not suppose to feed deer straight corn, it could cause too much gas in their stomach from the starch and not enough protein???

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I have seen robins too. First time ever in the winter:

This pic was taken a couple of weeks ago from my kitchen window:

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Oh no, chico, somebody let their cat out last night :sad:. Remember Misty the stray I was feeding. She used to go under our bbq tarp when it was cold while she was waiting for Jasper to wake me up so I would put out some food for her :sad:.

Melinda
January 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
we have robins all winter here also, I put out berries and at times, mealworms for them.
The ministry will lay strips of corn in the bush for the deer, it was per their instructions that we purchased it for them. I know the cows weren't able to digest corn that had fermented over the winter in silo's, corn mash also, because they would bloat and we'd have to "tube" them...silly cows would go right back to it.

angeldogs
January 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Chico her eyes are fine just the cold bothered them,even the sun.so when she got her glasses they recommended a larger frame to help block the sun and wind as they would bother her eyes because of the implants.and would take a year or so before that would change.

Yes the eye drops are a pain,thats could that he won't need glass.That is good that every thing is looking good so far.

Dog Dancer
January 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hey Chico2, I just had my hubby in for the same surgery this week also. Check up yesterday was great. But yes the drops are a pain. I go to bed earlier than him (he's retired, I'm not) so he has to wake me before he comes to bed to get his last drops. Ugh. We'll get the second eye done in Feb. What a coincidence! Although it's not -20 here. Today it's supposed to get to +5, but it's so foggy with all the snow melting away (finally). I do still have a foot of snow in the yard mind you.

Hope your hubby's eye continues to improve! It's amazing surgery isn't it.

Luvmypitgirls
January 15th, 2009, 12:13 PM
It's going to be +8-10 here in the Calgary region today:D

We had our share of really cold weather out here, so forgive me if I gloat just a teeny weeny bit:)

Diamondsmum
January 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Aha That is why were suffereing.. :frustrated:Alberta sent us the cold. Thanks Alberta:p:o

Diamondsmum
January 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
actually I think Aslan brought it back with her LOL

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
actually I think Aslan brought it back with her LOL

Ha, I was right, it is Aslan's fault :p

Karin
January 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I had robins in my yard last week. Now they are gone.

I think they headed further south, Cuba maybe.

Chris21711
January 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I had robins in my yard last week. Now they are gone.

Where is it you live again :cool:

I think they headed further south, Cuba maybe.

They don't go to Cuba, they can't speak Spanish :laughing:

chico2
January 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
The Robin is actually my favorite bird and i hate to see them in the winter.
I brush the snow off my berry-bushes and put out raisins and cut up apples for him,he drinks a lot of water..
My bird-bath heater was the best buy ever,I am so glad I have it,every critter out there drinks from it.

Angeldogs,Dog Dancer,hubby is fine now,is going for his other eye next wednesday,we bought him some good sunglasses for the wind and the sun,to protect the eye.
I've heard people have to wait a long time for this surgery,but he only waited 2 weeks:thumbs up

14+,I will check tonight if a cat goes under my tarp,I'll put some dry food out,just in case.
There are a lot of people here who let their cats roam,but on our walks with Bailey I've found out where they live,usually I see them in a window or they'll sit by the doors.

The woman with the beautiful,longhaired Calico is totally oblivious to the danger,although she already lost one the street where I live.
They live on the street behind me.

Karin
January 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM
They don't go to Cuba, they can't speak Spanish :laughing:

I live in north central Florida, near Gainesville.

GO GATORS!!!
ORANGE & BLUE TRUE.

It's freakin' cold here and going to get colder.

Dog Dancer
January 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Chico2, good to hear your hubby is doing good. Good luck with the next one as well. My husband went to our eye specialist here and they told him 8 months to get it done. We then went to a specialist in downtown Vancouver and got in within one week! It depends on how much surgery time the hospitals give the specialists in any given area they said. Go figure huh.

Umm, we have robins all year here. I feel sorry for the woodpeckers banging their little heads against the frozen tree's right now (well last couple weeks)...

lUvMyLaB<3
January 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
chico that is good news! I hope all continues well!!!

It was -52C when i got up this morning, yesturday was below -50 also, school was closed yestuday but open today but attendance was optional, most schools were open just buses cancelled but my kids go to a small private school where there is no bus service and all the kids have to be driven by parents so it was really nice to have a day off from going out there!! But had to be out in it today.. HOWEVER I hear that manitoba is FINALLY going to get some really nice weather, maybe -10 tomorrow? YAY!! I hope it is true although it seems that they always tell us it will be warm near the weekend just to keep us from killing ourselves ( just kidding) and then when we get there it is just as cold as every other day!! AHHH HEAT! I am looking forward to not having my eyelashes frozen together just from walking to the car!

chico2
January 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Thank's,hubby is starting to see much better:thumbs upwith the one eye!!

14+,last night I saw this black/white kitty,chomping down on some leftover meat I fed the Crows,of course it was frozen,so I went out,left a bowl of dry food.
He would not even touch it,continued chewing on the frozen stuff.
I know this cat,he lives in the town-houses across the street,he's not afraid of me and is pretty old.
I would not want to trap a cat who has a home,only to have him end up in a cage at an overcrowded HS.
I will keep an eye on him though,no traces of a cat under the tarp.

chico2
January 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Karin,soooo sorry you are getting cold in Florida;):grouphug:

SnowDancer
January 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Chico, happy to learn that your husband is doing so well - and of course that he will be able to see you. My husband's eye glass prescription was so strong even before the Vitrectomy that after he eventually has cataract surgery, that still won't be a problem for me if glasses are off. His eye surgeon seems to be "the doctor" to see for a Vitrectomy - and he decides if he will take the case. If you ever happen to be in downtown Toronto and bored, you should wander over to the 8th floor of the eye clinic at St. Michael's (the surgeons' offices are here) - when the elevator door opens you will back up in collective horror with the rest of the patients. Very scary! Hope things continue to go well and remember that it is a good thing that cataract patients can sleep on their backs - they don't have to be in a face down position for a couple of weeks. Re the drops, my husband had to use 4 types, several times a day - before and after the surgery - with danger of major eye infection should bottle touch eyes. Good thing he used to wear contacts so can use them effectively - I would be hopeless. One of the drops was Prednisone - which taken for a short period of time in the eyes does not normally cause mood swings - but taken for a month - not so good! The only one who didn't realize that the Pred caused mood swings was him. I was ready to get my vet to write him a note - one of my dogs was on Pred years ago. And the increase in appetite - this from someone who is at perfect weight at just turned 60 in Dec. - same weight as when he was 25. He would eat more for breakfast than most people would eat for 3 days - for all meals - and then start demanding his lunch - and still weighed the same. I bought him an Adult Sippy Cup that holds a straw and an adult bib - and of course all food had to be soft - and creamy due to choking hazards due to face down position. So when he eventually has his cataract removed, it will seem like a breeze. So far he is just developing the one - but will probably get 2. He has his father's blue eyes - with same problems - yet his sister, with brown eyes who is 10 years younger, can see through his glasses - which would scare the heck out of me. And, yes it is freezing out - and I have him wearing his YakTrax Walkers - which surprisingly he loves.

chico2
January 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Yes,he too takes the different drops 4 times/day,I have to give them to him.
I told him what you said about the Pred and I also told him I will not put up with any mood-swings:laughing:
He always sleeps on his back and snores,that's why he has his own room,the cats and I have ours:thumbs up
Why would your husband sleep face down:confused:

angeldogs
January 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Yes,he too takes the different drops 4 times/day,I have to give them to him.
I told him what you said about the Pred and I also told him I will not put up with any mood-swings:laughing:
He always sleeps on his back and snores,that's why he has his own room,the cats and I have ours:thumbs up
Why would your husband sleep face down:confused:

Now theres some love and trust.wife won't let me put the drops in said she did trust me to do it.i might poke her in the eye.:laughing:

chico2
January 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Oh,I have experience dealing with sickos,both kids and cats(not that he's sick)hubby trusts me completely,also he likes to be babied:laughing:
Don't you all:laughing:

angeldogs
January 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Oh,I have experience dealing with sickos,both kids and cats(not that he's sick)hubby trusts me completely,also he likes to be babied:laughing:
Don't you all:laughing:

:laughing::laughing:from time to time i do.not often but it does happen.:D

Luvmypitgirls
January 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Woohoo, suppose to be +16 today and tomorrow here!
:D :D :D

sowwy couldn't resist:)

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
It's about 67 here today. I wish I could find a place to live that was this temperature all the time.

14+kitties
January 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Ok, these last two posts have just been mean, cruel, and not nice. :p
Here we are in Ontario and Quebec in a deep freeze. And I mean DEEP FREEZE!! and we have to hear about +16 and 67 degree temps!!

MEAN I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yell:

Chico - has the black and white kitty shown up again? It's possible that's the one who was under your tarp. Stupid owners! :frustrated: Why can't people learn to leave their kitties in in this weather!! Even my ferals know not to go out when it's this cold. They are using the shelters in the garage.

Poor thing's probably looking for a spot where at least it can get out of the wind. :sad:

lUvMyLaB<3
January 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
:thumbs upAHHHHH!! FINALLY!!! here in manitoba we finally have warm weather ahh the heat!! we are going SKATING!

clm
January 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
-20 when I took the dogs out this morning. They're loving it. We won't let them stay out for more than 15 minutes at a time though. We're both still too sick to stay out with them, although I did go out with them for a little bit the first trip out.:sick: Instead we have to keep watch on them through the windows. Baxter wasn't too wild about going out if we weren't going with them, but he's got used to it the past couple of weeks. Supposed to get another 10 - 15cm of snow tonight. This global warming is killing me. :wall:

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry 14+. You can make fun of me when I'm down here sweltering in the obscene heat and humidity. I'll be miserable very soon.

clm
January 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry 14+. You can make fun of me when I'm down here sweltering in the obscene heat and humidity. I'll be miserable very soon.

I would like to sample some of your miserable weather this evening please. :laughing:

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'll try to put some in a bottle for you.:D

chico2
January 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Friday I figured,I'd just take Bailey out for a minute,it was just terribly cold,but she would have none of it:yell:
I bought her a nice big sweater,so maybe she was warm,I was not...
She seems to love it,has her nose in every snowpile looking for some yummies:laughing:
The cats have been inside for the last couple of days,but went out today with hubby,I bet it was no more than 1 minute before they were back inside:laughing:

14+,I looked for this pretty kitty last night,but did not see him,I'll keep an eye out tonight too,no evidence that any cat had been under the tarp.

I usually don't mind winter much,but this is too cold,the weather-man blames it all on an Alberta Clipper,thank's Alberta:yell:
It is supposed to get warmer this week:fingerscr

I just looked out the window,a Hawk got one of my pigeons, r.i.p. little pigeon...

14+kitties
January 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM
This winter has not been good. We had a coyote in our side yard on Thursday morning, around 10. First time I have ever seen a coyote out in the open in daylight. Hubby went out and it took off running. It looked pretty healthy but very very skinny. I am so glad the kitties are in their houses and they rest of them are safe. The two ferals who made their home out there go under the small shed at the first sign of intruders. I am not too worried about them. I figure they probably have a very nice little nest built for themselves under there. Hubby put the new house right on top of a bunch of pine branches he had cut.

It is supposed to warm up a little starting tomorrow. I am sooo done with winter cold. :frustrated:

chico2
January 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
14+,seeing a Coyote so close to the house,must mean he was very hungry,poor thing,poor everything out there:sad:
They said in the Star this morning that feral cats know how to survive the cold:yell:
People who have been feeding a colony of 20 cats,had ask for little shelters to be built,but were told it's not needed.
Sure,get those fat cats sitting in their offices to spend one night outside,we'll see what they say:yell:

One good thing,they want to trap the cats,spay/neuter them and bring them back to where they live.
A vet is doing it at a discount $100/per cat,not much of a discount as far as I'm concerned.
I know it's much cheaper,but this is a charity thing.

angeldogs
January 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I'll try to put some in a bottle for you.:D

You can send me some,i'm sick of this darn stupid cold weather,i might be off of work for a bit and would like some warm weather.even wearing gloves on friday morning in -22 weather i now have 2 frost bitten finger all swelled up with what looks like water blisters.so please send it our way.

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I thought this would fit in here.

chico2
January 18th, 2009, 06:28 AM
RELIEF is coming:thumbs up -5C this morning,but we must have an extra 15cm of snow on the ground and it's still snowing.
I don't mind too much,it's nice big snowflakes.
THANK DOG for the snowblower!!!

clm
January 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Yes it's warmer this morning, but it came at a price with that thick fresh blanket of snow. I haven't seen my big outdoor stray Max since that one visit after being missing for weeks. :sad: I had a really bad feeling when I saw him and held him that last time, it was like he was coming to say goodbye. I really hope that's not the case. :sad: My other 2 strays, Big Face and Patches are sticking pretty close to the cat houses in this cold. Big Face has been in a fight and his one ear is a bloody mess. He won't let me touch it, but it does look like it's healing so I'll have to keep an eye on it. I can get a pretty good look at it every time I feed them, he won't move from the dish. :laughing: They won''t be happy about the snow this morning. Baxter and Bentley on the other hand think it's been a perfect winter so far. :rolleyes:

Cindy

chico2
January 18th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah,I bet B&B love it:laughing:
I hope Max is ok:fingerscrbut I suppose a lot of bad things can happen out there:sad:
:pray:Max will be back soon..

Love4himies
January 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
This winter has not been good. We had a coyote in our side yard on Thursday morning, around 10. First time I have ever seen a coyote out in the open in daylight. Hubby went out and it took off running. It looked pretty healthy but very very skinny. I am so glad the kitties are in their houses and they rest of them are safe. The two ferals who made their home out there go under the small shed at the first sign of intruders. I am not too worried about them. I figure they probably have a very nice little next built for themselves under there. Hubby put the new house right on top of a bunch of pine branches he had cut.

It is supposed ot warm up a little starting tomorrow. I am sooo done with winter cold. :frustrated:

Coyotes have been around a lot this winter. According to the local hunters, deer population is down quite a bit, probably due to the harsh winter we had last year.

Love4himies
January 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM
According to the long term forecast, it looks like we won't even be getting our normal January thaw :yell::frustrated:.

Ancientgirl: Maybe if you turn on a big fan you can blow some warmth up north :laughing:

SnowDancer
January 18th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Chico - he had to sleep in face down position - using special equipment - after the Vitrectomy as they inserted a gas bubble into his eye which took just over 6 weeks to dissipate. During this period you can't fly or lift anything over 5 lbs. During day had to sit in a chair much like a massage chair with face down and at night he had a contraption to put on bed for face down. Had to put chip clips on back of loose fitting top to prevent him from rolling over or it would have been game over. Even the dog had to go to the babysitters for 8 nights since with Daddy's face hanging over the abyss - whether it be a kid, dog or cat, they would all go to see what was wrong and scratch the face - and of course we always had to be ready to race to hospital at any sign of infection or detachment of retina. The worst thing I think was having to go back for follow-up at 6:30 a.m. day after surgery. Back in the day, they kept patients who had this surgery in the hospital for several days - then it was only for the first night - now zip! He is blind as a bat without his glasses and of course couldn't wear his glasses during this period so his only concern was watching TV. I rented him books on tape - it was not easy! I also have moved to another room with the Dog - husband snores like you wouldn't believe. You could put in earplugs and turn on every tap in house and go to basement and still hear hit. He also kicks - actually the dog won't get on the bed with him. I did have him speak with his doctor about this who sent him to a special dentist. He now has a special appliance - sort of like a retainer - that slightly opens the airway. OHIP doesn't cover the cost and his company plan wouldn't either - it was $1,000 -and was specially fitted for his mouth - unlike that weird mouthpiece they are advertising on TV - they can cause serious harm. The dentist first has to evaluate your mouth to determine if the defice would be suitable and then take impressions etc. Supposed to last for 4 years. I was worried he wouldn't use it, but first night he put it in and he immediately felt the improvement. When I travel with him it is not quite the nightmare it used to be - you can still hear the snoring but it is much reduced - worse of course when he is on his back. He doesn't need the special machine to breathe as do many people with sleep apnea, fortunately. But is was just too much when he would wake himself up with his snoring and then blame me, the dog or the people in the next hotel room for waking him up - it was his snoring. His father was exactly the same - and he has his father's eyes and snoring ability! Hope your husband continues to improve and never has to have a Vitrectomy. When the current car goes we won't replace it. And you can take a heck of a lot of taxis and rent a lot of cars at weekend special rates just for the cost of insurance, maintenance and gas. Of course if I were the one with the eye problem he wouldn't think of not having a car. I won't like it - will miss the convenience of it, especially with our dog who will turn 5 April 1 but since his is 60 and I will be turning 59 and with the economy such as it is - will probably be the way to go. Wish I was right on the subway route!

14+kitties
January 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
This is how cold it's been here lately. :rolleyes:

Chris21711
January 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
:laughing: Guess you are not working today 14k :)

14+kitties
January 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Nope, had the weekend off. :cloud9: Housework and paperwork for my business and hubby's has been keeping me (cough, cough) busy. :rolleyes: Actually, hubby's paperwork is going to take a good week of work to get done. Mine, not so hard.

So I just finished vaccuuming. Taking a five minute break from housework to finish my coffee, then back at it again for paperwork. Life is fun! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
:laughing: Weight loss made easy! Go to 14+'s place! :p

Luvmypitgirls
January 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Ok, these last two posts have just been mean, cruel, and not nice. :p
Here we are in Ontario and Quebec in a deep freeze. And I mean DEEP FREEZE!! and we have to hear about +16 and 67 degree temps!!

MEAN I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yell:

Chico - has the black and white kitty shown up again? It's possible that's the one who was under your tarp. Stupid owners! :frustrated: Why can't people learn to leave their kitties in in this weather!! Even my ferals know not to go out when it's this cold. They are using the shelters in the garage.

Poor thing's probably looking for a spot where at least it can get out of the wind. :sad:

14+...I'm sorry I rubbed our balmy temperatures in, when you sit in such a horrible deep freeze..it was so unkind, so thoughtless, so cruel of me. I apologize for being such an a$$, really I do.
Ok , now that I got that outta the way, it's time to open up all the windows and let the fresh air in, and enjoy all the sunshine and warm temperatures:evil:

Ohhh..but yeah...I'm really sorry..truly...;)....:2huggers:

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
14+...I'm sorry I rubbed our balmy temperatures in, when you sit in such a horrible deep freeze..it was so unkind, so thoughtless, so cruel of me. I apologize for being such an a$$, really I do.
Ok , now that I got that outta the way, it's time to open up all the windows and let the fresh air in, and enjoy all the sunshine and warm temperatures:evil:

*deep inhalation* Ah, yes...the heady aroma of sarcasm! :laughing:

You crack me up, LMP! :laugh:

You can keep the warmth...I want snow!!!! Everyone can send hazel your snow!! :thumbs up

chico2
January 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Snowdancer,we are waaaay:offtopic:here,so I'll PM you,ok!!

Love4himies
January 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
:evil:14+...I'm sorry I rubbed our balmy temperatures in, when you sit in such a horrible deep freeze..it was so unkind, so thoughtless, so cruel of me. I apologize for being such an a$$, really I do.

Oh you laugh now, but I know how wicked those AB winters are snow in the Aug long weekend, -40 in April :whistle: winter never really leaves there. :laughing:

Luvmypitgirls
January 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
:evil:

Oh you laugh now, but I know how wicked those AB winters are snow in the Aug long weekend, -40 in April :whistle: winter never really leaves there. :laughing:

LMAO, yes winters here can be wicked, but it's been quite some time since we've had -40 in April.

When I first moved to Alberta, back in '86, I remember waking up on my birthday (June 4th), to find a blizzard! By late afternoon however it was bright and sunny and warm, the snow from the blizzard gone.
This winter we've seen more snow than we have in a very long time, it was wonderful to have a white christmas for a change.

Today our temperature is supposed to be another +16, +11 tomorrow, and then we cool back off mid-week. I'm sure mother nature has a couple more wintery blasts up her sleeve for us.

Love4himies
January 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
LMAO, yes winters here can be wicked, but it's been quite some time since we've had -40 in April.

When I first moved to Alberta, back in '86, I remember waking up on my birthday (June 4th), to find a blizzard! By late afternoon however it was bright and sunny and warm, the snow from the blizzard gone.
This winter we've seen more snow than we have in a very long time, it was wonderful to have a white christmas for a change.

Today our temperature is supposed to be another +16, +11 tomorrow, and then we cool back off mid-week. I'm sure mother nature has a couple more wintery blasts up her sleeve for us.

No doubt, lol.

Karin
January 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Geez, I am looking forward to the hot August nights again already.

The temps tonight are suppose to be around 18 degrees here and for the next few days.
There's Florida for ya, Mickey sipping orange juice under a palm tree on the beach in the sun.

Ya right.

Don't get me wrong, I love my state. And I feel for all my northern friends.

(Florida just isn't toasty as some may think.)

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Geez, I am looking forward to the hot August nights again already.

The temps tonight are suppose to be around 18 degrees here and for the next few days.
There's Florida for ya, Mickey sipping orange juice under a palm tree on the beach in the sun.

Ya right.

Don't get me wrong, I love my state. And I feel for all my northern friends.

(Florida just isn't toasty as some may think.)

Yeah, this is going to sound stupid, but it's 42 today and I'm cold as hell. I lived up north until I was 14, but I'm not used to super cold weather anymore. Bah! I don't have cold weather clothes!