Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Keeping the Litter IN the Box?

Sneaky2006
July 30th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Ok, this is for the cat ppl of this site. I was wondering how, if at all, you keep the litter IN the box. I have 2 boxes that have the higher sides but do not want to switch to a totally covered one because I think they wouldn't like it, this is the only kind they're used to. We always seem to have litter everywhere around the box, and ever since Sox came into our lives, the whole room where the boxes are is covered in litter all the time!! I watch her sometimes and she goes and starts scratching in it, sniffs it, then starts chucking the litter like mad!!! She can chuck it behind her all the way across the room (a good 7 or 8 feet) Including poopies!! And I definitely don't want to scold her or try to physically make her stop while she's doing it because I'm afraid she will link that to being bad for going in the litter. ANY ideas?

Sunkist/Winnie
July 30th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I had the same problem...Sunkist thinks it's a play box I swear! I ended up buying two covered boxes - now the litter only flies out the front of the box instead of the full 360 degrees.

Neither one of my cats seems to have any trouble adjusting to the covered boxes...I brought them home filed them up with nice fresh kittly litter and they hopped right in and started scretching away!

Hopefully someone on the board has another suggestion.

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM
My Connor had an open box for 3 years. I recently changed to the covered box because he was SOOO messy. He didn't even notice the change, actually, I think he might like it better, more privacy...it's worth a try, just keep the old box handy incase you're right.. But I don't think there would be a issue.. It really makes a difference!

shihtzulover
July 30th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I had the exact same problem with my two cats. I didn't want to buy a covered litter pan because 1 cat is blind and I didn't know if he could find the hole, but I ended up getting one anyway. He had no problems finding the hole at all. A little bit of litter still comes out the front, but not as much.
The only thing is that sometimes he gets in there turning around and ends up sticking his bum out the whole and does his business out side the box. But thats to be expected when you can't see.
What if you stand fairly high cardboard around 3/4 of the box? It may work. :confused:

Charley
July 30th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I had to do the same with my cat because she was so messy, she was only a year when we swtiched to the covered box, but I don't think she noticed and now I can go around the room where it is my barefeet without the fear of getting covered in litter

Catt31
July 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM
DITTO!!!! My 2 cats had an open litter box for about 4 or 5 years. I couldn't take the mess and the litter ALLLLL over the house, so I bought a covered one. They had no problems adjusting to it. Now I know that litter will be just at the front of the box so I've put a rubber shoe mat with the ridges there to catch all the stray litter. It seems to help much more than the little kitty mats they sell at the pet stores! And a covered box lessens the stink!!! :D

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 03:30 PM
And a covered box lessens the stink!!! :D
Holy Frig!! You're not kidding!!! That smell was strong enough to bring tears to your eyes!!!

chico2
July 30th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Well,all catowners have that problem and we all know cats do it to cover the stink,out of cleanliness :rolleyes:
I have my boxes in a downstairs bathroom and right beside them a little broom and dust-pan,it's not a big deal to me,since we don't really use that bathroom and every day when I scoop out the thingys,I sweep around the boxes. I was told by my vet,covered boxes are great for convenience but bad for the cats lungs,since they kick up dust and it stays inside the box for the cat to breath in.
I know of a person who does not change the litter for a month and yes,it certainly stinks,but it's hardly the cats fault.

Sneaky2006
July 30th, 2004, 05:06 PM
I have heard of the dust that the cats could ingest, also I don't think they would like a covered one and I don't think I want to risk any of them going outside the box, then I'd really have stank in my house.
I have thought about a cardboard covering of some sort but then I thought they would tear it to shreds, which then brought me to something made of wood. Something big enough for them not to think they were using a different box but small enough that it doesn't take up the whole room! We have one box in the computer room though and it's not that big, so I think we can only inclose the one in the basement. Does the wood box sound silly?

anniebananie
July 31st, 2004, 08:13 AM
I put my kitty litter boxes on a boot tray - a large one - and that seems to help. We still get some litter on the floor, but I am not vacuuming every day now :)

glasslass
July 31st, 2004, 08:28 AM
A few years back my mom's neighbor bought one of those automatic self-cleaning litter boxes. It was huge and the cats were afraid of it! :D

chico2
July 31st, 2004, 04:18 PM
Yeah Glasslass,I can just imagine :D
To me it's not a big deal,you just make it a habit of chucking out the clumps often and change the litter before it starts getting smelly.
Cats don't like smelly stuff any more than we do,if it's time to change the litter,Rocky will just pee outside of the box,a good sign it's time to change it :D
I can imagine it's a pain if you have a box in the computer-room or your own bathroom,but just buy a little car-broom with a dustpan and hang it on the wall.The boot-tray is a good idea.
Also with a covered box,I can just imagine what the smell must be in there. :eek:

Sneaky2006
July 31st, 2004, 08:01 PM
Seems like we're always changing the litter. It's mainly the fresh litter that she makes the most mess with. I think we'll try the boot tray. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Poppy
August 1st, 2004, 11:46 AM
A friend of mine has a cat like yours. She purchased a Rubbermaid Tub with high sides....no problems since and the cat seems to enjoy the added privacy.