Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mystery of the poop trail solved...sort of.

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
On and off since I first got Maks and Kiska, I'll find little poop presents now and then. Nothing runny or soft, they are always firm and semi-dry.

I could never figure out exactly who the culprit was, but I guessed that since the poop was small and it coincided with Maks and Kiska coming into the fold, it had to be one of them. I know, I'm kitty profiling, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I can safely say I now know who it is without a doubt. Maks!

I know this because I actually saw him in the act. Folks, I think I've seen it all at this point.:laughing:

He was using the litter, he went inside the box, did his digging and crouched down to do his business, when for no apparent reason, he just up and leapt out of the box! As he ran he left a trail of poop! I can only imagine he had some urgent kitty business to attend to and he just simply had no time to finish in the litter box!

Has anybody here ever experienced this? I can't be the only one.

onster
January 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM
LOL

omg hahahahaha thats too funny! :laugh:

well no..i guess its not when u clean it :p

but ive never heard of anythig like this :shrug:

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Onster, the only good thing is, they are firm and not runny. So cleanig up isn't totally disgusting.

I swear, Maks and poop. When he was a kitten he'd constantly be stepping in his poop and walking around with poopy back paws. I guess in the grand scheme of things, what he does not is better.:rolleyes:

Khari
January 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM
This has been seen very often in my house with my one cat Lexus. She would go to have a bowel movement in the litter box straining and sometimes leaving a poop in the litterbox. But many times she would leave poops throughout the house. At some points she would strain so hard that she would throw up. At first the vet diagnosed her with enlarged anal glands and excreted them every three months when the same symptoms came back for about a year or so. I have since taken her to a new vet and it is now confirmed that her problem is constipation. She had a huge blockage manually removed and gave her an enema. A few weeks later she had too go back for another enema. I have since given her PEG (also called Miralax) and she has become regular again with nice formed firm (not hard) stools. I would recommend you have your cat checked out for constipation, anal gland enlargement or urinay tract infection. Just to be on the safe side. Chronic constipation can lead to megacolon so the sooner you get it under control the better. And UTI's can be deadly in male cats. I hope it is none of the above :fingerscr But it's nice to know you can control all three....:cat:

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
He had his wellness exam about 2 months ago. They checked him for everything under the sun inside and uot, and the vet said he was in great condition. I've watched him poop (yes, I do that sometimes) and he doesn't look like he's straining.

This actually doesn't happen a lot. I'd say it happens once every few months.

I will look into that PEG and keep a lookout on constipation. Sounds like something good to have on hand. Thanks.

Khari
January 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Lexus was the same....she didn't look like she was straining either. The symptoms for a year or so would come about every 2-3 months as well. The only reason I knew something was wrong with her was she would leave poops around the house otherwise she seemed very normal to me. She only threw up once from straining....

I am not quite sure what all is done in a wellness exam but I can't remember my vet ever looking for these things I mentioned in my previous post. Unless the cats have symptoms I am not sure vets will even check for these problems.

You could always call your vet office and ask them what they think this could mean....

I would also speak to your vet first before purchasing the PEG (miralax) so he can make the diagnosis that it is constipation. He will also have to give you an appropriate dose. Most vets recommend lactulose (this did not help my cat) but works on some cats. You can try adding 100% pumpkin (not pumpkin filler), squash baby food, pea baby food, etc. to help with pooping. Also, laxatone can be used sparingly to help him pass a stool if he does not have a blockage.

Khari
January 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
It also can be as simple as the fact that he doesn't like sharing a litterbox. Or pooping in the same place he pees in. So it could be something as simple as purchasing another litterbox. Does the litterbox have a lid. If it does you could try taking that off. Is the litterbox located in a noisy area, high traffic. Cats seem to like a quieter, private area for their litterboxes....these are some other ideas I wanted to share ;)

14+kitties
January 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Maks is up to his old tricks again huh ancient? Cute sweetie that he is.
I am quite sure the vet has done all she needs to do to make sure Maks and your other 4 are healthy in all respects. And you are such a good mom that at the first sign of trouble you would have him in for a check up. He is still having regular bowel movements every day, right? It's all good. You are quite probably right. He was probably in a hurry to go save the world.

Chaser
January 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Twice since he arrived Rupert got a piece of poop stuck to his fur because he's so fluffy. His solution? Wipe it off on the carpet after exiting the litterbox! Left us two nice big skid marks to scrub up.

Not sure if it's at all the same thing, but at least it's a funny story that earned Rupert a nickname around here. :laughing:

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
:laughing::laughing: Poor Maks :laughing:. Maybe jumping out of the litter box before he is quite done is the way he learned how to not to step in his own poop.

ancientgirl
January 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Khari, thanks for the comments. They all either have Laxatone or Coconut oil a few times a week to help with any hairballs or bowel movements. Right now I have 3 boxes, two of which get more traffic than the third so they all have some choices. Ideally I'd like to have 2 more, but I just don't have anywhere to put more. I clean the boxes daily, and I see different sizes of poop every time I scoop so I know they all are regular. If they don't poop daily, I know they poop every other day. I do have to take Maks in for a vaccination, so I'll mention the glands to my vet and have her look at him anyway.

14+, he's always running around doing something. He's so funny, it's like pooping takes too much time from his activities so he literally has to poop and run!

Chase_Mom, okay so is Rupert's nickname Skid? :laughing:

L4H, you could be on to something. He might have figured, as soon as he feels it coming out, he jumps to get out of it's way!:laughing:

Like I said, I'm happy it's at least firm. Given the choice, I'd rather pick up firm poop than squishy poop.:yuck: