Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Owner Stunned After Dog Electrocuted By Faulty Hydro Wiring During Walk

Diamondsmum
January 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
For the second time in two months, a bizarre tragedy has claimed the life of a family pet.

A dog was apparently electrocuted while walking on the sidewalk near Keele and Annette.

The Labradoodle, named Mrak (top left), was out with its owner around 2am Tuesday, but the 60-pound canine never made it home.

Instead, near a light post on the southeast corner of the intersection, the animal collapsed.

It appears that old, faulty wiring leading to the lamp was sending an electrical current up through the ground. The dog's wet paws acted as a conductor, killing it the instant they touched the metal plate.

"I don't think I'm still fully even realizing what happened...I guess I'm still in shock," described distraught owner Darjan Avramovic.

"All of a sudden he just started like squealing and dropped down. I had no idea. I thought he might have broken his leg or, you know, stubbed it on something because I hadn't, I couldn't, like, think of it that it could be like a live wire."

Efforts to revive Mrak with CPR failed.

"If a small child bent down to pick something up," the owner added, trailing off, unable to finish the thought.

When his dog went down, Darjan called his father, who was shocked in both arms when he arrived and tried to tend to the animal.

"It's heartbreaking, I mean I can't believe it," adds Dusko Avramovic.


Here (http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_30927.aspx)


This is terrible!!!

:rip: Mrak

Melanie1010
January 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I just read this article on CTV... so heart breaking.. I cant imagine how distraught the owner must of been seeing his dog like that. I really hope they get this resolved and quickly! I read in the article this isnt the first incident like this in the Toronto area... So very sad

RIP poor puppy...

Melanie1010
January 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Heres the article I came across that also has a picture and the story of the other dog this happend too.. http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/569979

NoahGrey
January 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Yeahhh, I would be suing the City of Toronto and Hyrdo one.

ACO22

Longblades
January 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Isn't that horrible? If you can read the full article in the real Toronto Star (not on-line) it gives a couple of other instances where the same thing has happened in other places, one a human fatality. Though it does describe how a human fatality is much less likely to occur.

Diamondsmum
January 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I know.. :sad:

the whole article is also on the link I posted.. So sad

diandpat
January 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
This is just terrifying....how can they test for this? It seems to be happening in many places :shrug:
:rip:Mrak :angel2:

Mat&Murph
January 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
That is scary!!!!! My dog's dad had that happen back in Oct. But because he was soo big he survived, but he was at the vets for a long time with burned pads and a burned and cut mouth. Almost makes you scared to walk your pet on the sidewalk

totallyhip
January 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Oh my gosh thats sad! :sad: i have heard of this happening before too in Vancouver. I saw it on one of those dog shows. It was a Vancouver Police Dog and they were tracking a guy and the dog ran over one of those electrical boxes and just started seizuring. Luckily they took him to the vet right away and he was saved. They figured out what it was and had the problem fixed. In the end of the show the dog did manage to get the guy as their paths crossed once again.

I'm always very careful when I walk the dogs not to let them get too close to those electrical boxes or any of those covers on the street.

Mat&Murph I hope your dad's dog is okay. Thats so horrible :sorry:

angeldogs
January 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
That is just horrible. i would be suing the city.if this killed a 60lb dog and shocked the father trying to help the dog.what would it do to a small child if they bent down to pick something up

:rip:Mrak.

Mat&Murphy i'm sorry to hear that it happened to your dads dog.

Ken Stranger
January 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM
This is an absolute tragedy - what an absolutely beautiful animal Mrak - our heart goes out to Darjan. We have 2 Labradoodles and to lose one like this would be absolutely devastating.:mad::sad:

I hope someone can take the City (or whoever is responsible) to task over this and make them up their safety procedures. Anyone good friends with a local Government official??

In the statement "Humans have not yet been affected by the current as our shoes act as insulators" the absolutely critical word is YET!!! As an electronic engineer by trade I can say categorically that this is as much a risk to humans as any animal. If a child or adult fell over with one hand in the snow and one on the metal they would suffer the same fate depending on how "faulty" the wiring was and thus how much voltage was applied to the body. There may be many many "faulty" situations exist - it simply depends on how "faulty" they are.

Given we live in Australia, our standards are so high that something like this would be treated with absolute outrage that our Utility Supplier could possibly have a situation like this exist, let alone not fixing it.

The problem would not just exist during Winter - there is just as much potential for a problem in the Summer.

We hope something is done to tidy this up before you people lose another animal and certailnly before a human may succumb to the same fate.

Wyn and Ken

Mat&Murph
January 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
It wasn't my dad's dog. It was Matt and Murphy's dad. My breeders dog. And he is ok now but it was touch and go for a while. That was in Manitoba. So they problem seems to be everywhere. I hope someone will soon take notice of what is going on befor any more pets die from this or a child!!!!!

angeldogs
January 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It wasn't my dad's dog. It was Matt and Murphy's dad. My breeders dog. And he is ok now but it was touch and go for a while. That was in Manitoba. So they problem seems to be everywhere. I hope someone will soon take notice of what is going on befor any more pets die from this or a child!!!!!

Ok is it was the boy's dad.read it wrong.hopefully some one will take notice and start checking for this kind of thing.

kathryn
January 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I saw a bulletin about this stuff being posted on myspace and thought it was just spam.... wow was I wrong