Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need thoughts - Pets in our will planning

TeriM
January 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
So hubby and I have finally made an appointment to meet with a lawyer to do our wills. Like many people, we are worth much more dead than alive :D. Anyway we were discussing what kind of financial bequests would be fair for those who ended up with our pets. I am very confident that between all my family that they would be homed and well looked after but also do not want to cause financial burdens for those people. In the event that friends took them instead I would want to provide the same arrangement.

We have initially thought of allocating $5-7000 per cat and $10-12000 per dog. Althought the pets ages range (and the will is ongoing so we will eventually have different pets) we figure one set amount is probably best. An older pet usually sucks up the cash faster anyway.

What have other people done? Suggestions?

doggy lover
January 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My hubby and I finally did our wills this year, after dealing with problems because an Aunt of his did not have a proper will and now 10 months later nothing has been done about her belongings and owings and all kinds of stuff I don't want to leave that behind when I die. It is just a total mess believe me.

Anyways I asked our lawyer about making sure that any pet we have is taken care of and he said you can put it in as a request and hopefully your family follows it. As I just have the two kids the rest of my estate is split 50-50 so we did request that they took care of any pet we owned until they died of natural causes and that they would not be destroyed or put into a shelter after our deaths. I think that they would follow what I wanted or I told them I would haunt them and pull their hair.:laughing:
But with you having no children it would be different for sure, but don't worry the lawyer will guide you along, good luck.

breeze
January 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
We still have a problem getting our wills done. We originally put it off until my oldest was old enough that he could be guardian of my youngest, cause we could not agree on who would take care of them. now that they are both older we just can't get it together enough to make one..(procrastination)

my kids love my dogs but even I know it is alot to ask them (two boys) to take the responsibility of taking care of them. so we put on paper that if it to much for them to take care of the dogs we have left a certain persons name to call. other family members would not do it.

as for what to leave for monetary, we can't decide on that either. so hench we put it off again..

Diamondsmum
January 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
This is wayyyyyyyyyy close to home..

My bro-in-laws mom passed away on Monday.. :rip: :sad:

My BIL & Sis have Easton (4yr old yellow lab)

The MIL has a cocker spanial (Indy) who does NOT get along with Easton..

In her will BIL is to take the dog... They have no one else to take him or wants him..:sad:

Indy is currently staying with a friend of Sis's until after funeral (Fri) then they arent sure what is going to happen.

:sad:

luckypenny
January 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
In the event that both dh and I pass at the same time, and if our sons are unable to care for them, 10 000$ per dog to the rescue who places them successfully. Unfortunately, we don't have any friends or family who'd be willing or able to take them all. Kind of makes me feel really sad actually :o.

doggy lover
January 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
My kids are 19 and 21 but would not receive any money until they turn 25, they would have a trust so they could stay at our house and keep the lifestyle they have and that will be taken care of by my sister and sister-in-law. I know its hard to figure out what to do and that is part of the reason my hubby and I let it go so long. But after the experience we are having with his aunts estate, it made me think what would happen if we both died in a accident or something and the kids were left alone money could be tied up for years and both of my kids are still in school being supported by us. I know my family would take in my kids but I would rather they have their home and surroundings they are use to, than moving in with my parents and moving away. I wouldn't want them to loose the cottage up north, as they have grown up with the place they were 6 and 8 when we bought it, our dog is buried up there and both my hubby and I want our ashes scattered there. I would defiantly try to get something set up and get your power of attorneys done too, believe me you wouldn't want to leave your kids with nothing in writing, you wouldn't know what could happen to them, your money and your pets.

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I had a friend pass away a week ago, and my best friend and I were talking about stuff like this. I told her how I worry many times about what might happen to my gang should anything happen to me. She told me she'd make sure they all went to good homes, but I still wonder.

I have no money and would like to get a life insurance policy for myself. If heaven forbid anything should happen, I'd leave the bulk of the money towards having someone take care of my cats.

Ideally I'd like to keep them all together. If anything, I'd tell my friend to keep Maks and Kiska together. Oksana and Czari I believe would do fine on their own in one cat households, and Vlad, I'd want him to go to a home where there are lots friendly cats, or go with Maks and Kiska of possible.

I hate thinking about these things.

BenMax
January 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Parents: 2 cats (age 16 and 13), 1 really mean Great Dane (Age 7).

Sister: 2 dogs (age 15 and 1), 1 really mean cat (age 14)

Myself: 1 little mean dog (age 2), 4 cats (ages between 1.5 - 2) (all a little wacky)

So I get them all if something happens to parents or sister. If something happens to me then 1 cat each family and 2 remaining to a friend. Dog is still up in the air but rescue that I am with would take. I also know many personal rescue people who would never let me down if need be.

(by mean I should say 'just a tad difficult'.:D:)

Chris21711
January 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
This is why I deserve to be Chairperson of the Procrastinators Club, for years we have been saying that we should get an official will prepared.

We only have the one daughter which makes things a little easier, but nevertheless to make everything easy for her there should be an official document in place. I know that she would take care of all of the animals, maybe some of the birds she would have to rehome. My main concern for her is having to remove all of the crap that is in every nook and crevice :eek:

I have often thought of putting her name on anything we have of value i.e. house, GIC's and such, but at the moment I am not too sure. My parents did that with me, consequently nothing legal had to be done and it was a breeze.

Teri - you are really on a roll this week :rolleyes:

SnowDancer
January 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
We have our wills set up with a Plan A person who would take our dog and get $X (a lot if we die in an accident) - who would adopt our guy, circumstances permitting. Please remember that there is a limit on how many animals a person can have - and Plan A person is our vet who manages to end up with many dogs. Then there is the Plan B person - in case something happens to Plan A before we die - still a fair chunk of change - and actually she has said she would take our guy. THE BIG PROBLEM is that in Canada pets are chattels. Whoever you pick gets the money whether or not they take your pets and sadly, it is often the case that the people will take the money and dump the pet. Sadly, it is often the children/grandchildren of the deceased who collect their inheritances and then dump said pets. So you really have to pick you people wisely - and word your wills in such a way that family members cannot challenge your bequests - our Plan A person is not someone who could be challenged - and she will also be our Executor should we die together. The first time we did our wills this time, our lawyer was wonderful - a pet lover - and he told us that many of his clients had written their wills the same way we did - and cautioned us to pick caregivers wisely. Jump forward several years and we needed to update our wills and provide for the new dog - the previous lawyer had moved out of province and we ended up with a lunatic at the same firm who had us sign a letter stating that we were writing our wills in such a fashion and leaving too much of our insurance to the Plan A and B people - because after all "how much could it cost to raise a pet?"! Well outside of the replacement furnishings that would be needed after our little chewer renovated the house, their are pet bills etc. - but the big thing to us would be our extreme gratitude for these people for taking in our pets. And, fortunately, while our dog does not like everybody, he likes these 2 people. I know that there are groups trying to have the laws changed in that if you don't take the pet, you don't get the money. But still that could backfire as taking the pet and treating the pet well are 2 different matters. In some parts of the U.S. retirement homes have been set up where people can leave funds for their dogs to have wonderful lives - although not in a family environment, but still something like a Central Park Lodge. I might actually spring for the price of a ticket and go and see the upcoming movie "Hotel for Dogs" that will be out shortly. My response to the idiot lawyer was to triple the amount of the bequests to A and B. After all, whose money would it be?