Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

5 month old puppy accidental biting

richiea
January 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone, Frank, my 5.5 month old Lab/Shephard mix, doesn't seem to respond to the traditional approach of training regarding biting. He does not just go and bite people, but he often accidentally bites your hand when you are playing with him and his toys. Like any puppy, he also occasionally gets nippy and this can easily be redirected to a toy, however, during that nippy part, I try to do what I've read in numerous books which is to say "ouch" in highest pitch voice loudly however this seems to not scare him but instead it seems to turn into a game.

I'd like to try to remedy this problem ASAP. Its purely accidental in my opinion so I believe its just a matter of figuring out the way to show him that it hurts us when he touches our skin with his teeth.

Thanks!

Mat&Murph
January 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hey and welcome. With my guys with them being soo big. We use "gentle" when playing. When playing and I see them getting the mouth going I use "gentle and that seems to calm them down and make them think about what they are doing. I don't play Tug with them or any other game where they might get too worked up. it took alittle while but they got there and yours will too. When you start to play tell Frank "gentle" And praise him every 30 seconds or so when he is not nipping "good boy gentle" till he gets used to it. he sounds like a great guy and we would lovve to see pics!!!!! Good Luck :D

lUvMyLaB<3
January 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
after he bites and u say OUCH then stand up and cross your arms and COMPLETLY ignore him don't let him turn it into a game, because that is what he has been thinking you are doing, if he continues end the game period, not acceptable to play that way. I like the idea M&M said about teaching gentle also. You can also do time outs. I had success with that with one particualarly crazy dog that was here for awhile, when he showed his teeth it was time out in the bathroom immedietly, he cought on pretty wuick, and if he could any dog could!

Diamondsmum
January 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Just a warning, this happned alot with my Puppy Diamond & let me tell you after standing up & turning back on her she bit my a$$. I had the marks to prove it. I have been using "gentle" with Diamond since & it sometimes works.

Sometimes it doesnt.

luckypenny
January 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Our Penny used to nip while playing and taking treats. This is how we taught her "gentle." She has to remain in a 'sit' while we practice. I hold a treat between my thumb and two fingers, offer her my hand (never pull my hand away), and only release the treat as soon as I feel her tongue and not her teeth. When I do feel her tongue, I say "gentle" simultaneously. As we progressed, I started putting my fingers right into her mouth as I released the treat.

In the beginning, if she bit down hard, I'd say "uh uh" and walk away from her. Session would be over until an hour or so later when we'd try again. I don't yelp "ouch" in a high pitched voice because it only seems to get her even more excited.

You can tell we've been out of practice lately :D but this is pretty much well how it goes (I started this session by saying 'gentle' only because she understands it already and I didn't want her biting my fingers :D):

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/th_Gentle.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/?action=view&current=Gentle.flv)

richiea
January 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. He's not that aggressive so I'm pretty confident the crossing the arms and ignoring will work. Great site!

Here are some pics of Frank!

luckypenny
January 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Omd, Frank's so sweet :lovestruck:.

richiea
January 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Here are some more photos!

Mat&Murph
January 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Awwww he is sooooo huggable!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Aw, he's adorable!! :flirt:

Pups that age, especially when they're teething, do feel the irresistable urge to chew and play using their mouths, but if you're consistent, they do eventually grow out of it. :thumbs up Keep up the good work and in a few months, he'll be a well-behaved little lovebug... :D