Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on our Bulli baby

bullilover
July 30th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Goodmorning everyone.
Well another long day yesterday and not really good news at all. It is in the vets opinion that our new puppy should be put to sleep.
His urine and fecal tests came back fine, but she is worried about how low his protein readings are, and in her overall opinion she feels he is a pup with alot of problems.
She also thinks that his balance, or wobble is due to damage in his cerebellum area of his brain, and that it probably is not fixable.
I am at a loss.
The vet was willing to end everything yesterday, but I wasn't ready...in fact I don't know if I am yet willing to give up.
This little guy has just mastered the eight steps up to our back door, balance issues and all, so I think he is pretty smart.
I discussed it last night with my hubby and he thinks we should give him some time and see if he improves, and to hell with what the vet says. (but that if he does get worse, that we will then take that step)
We just have to get him healthier right now.
He is back to eating and drinking, but he is also eating our other dogs kibble too...which I'm not sure if that is good. He has really loose stools so I need to fix that first.
I would love to hear what all of you think, and any suggestions you may have for getting this little guy back on the road to recovery.
He is such a happy pup...we could really use some help!!
Thanks again for all your prayers and support. I love you all!!!
Mel

heavenlyminded
July 30th, 2004, 08:40 AM
I was just wandering if you suggested to your vet of a possible allergic reaction to the shots he might of gotten?, Im guessing he got shots because he is a baby.Like I said before I have seen a case that sounds like yours and that was the problem.

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM
My opinion is, if the little guy is not in pain and by keeping him alive it will do no further harm to him (by falling over), what's the problem!?!? So what if he does have a neurological problem, and he's blind, BUT he's happy and getting healthier every day!?! If he's happy and you're happy, he's not in pain - why not give him a chance?!?! I guess it might be kinda similar to having a disabled child...

The things that you need to consider are:

1. Will you constantly be needing to take him to the vet for check ups - the costs involved in that regarding his health and mental state, will you be constantly taking him in order to keep him alive? (Finacial costs might worry you as well).

2. Will he be in danger to himself and other around him?

3. Will his balance issues keep with him for the rest of his life?

4. Do you have the time and energy to care for a VERY needy animal - in this case he should be rehomed rather then PTS (not saying that you don't have the time, just IF you didn't have the time...)

I believe that you can offer this dog a life of love and happiness regardless of his difficulties! So long as he's not suffering or in pain, I don't feel that puttin ghim to sleep is the answer...

bullilover
July 30th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your vote of confidence. Your're right he isn't in any pain.
A danger to himself perhaps, if he doesn't learn to compensate for his balance issue. As he gets larger in size he may hurt himself falling.

Health wise I think if i can get him healthy since, I think he lacked proper nutrition due to his blindness, not maybe being able to nurse properly, etc....that he will be healthier.
I am a wahm, of two boys so I am here all the time for this new puppy, so for now I just want to try and get him helathy.
I don't think I am being selfish, I just want to give him a fair chance, and hopefully he will learn to overcome the wobbles.

So all you puppy owners, breeders etc...how do I start to give him what he needs. What should I be feeding him that would replace what he needs?
I think Luba posted about protein drinks. I drink them myself twice a day, I could make them for him.
So Luba if you read this, perhaps you could tell me how much he should receive.

I am going to give this my best shot and as I said before if his condition begins to deteriorate, then I will do as the vet has suggested.
For now, though I could use any and all help you guys have to offer!!! :o

bullilover
July 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Oh one more thing, what is best to stop diarhhea in your pet??? Is there something I could feed him that would help???
He is eating anything now and drinking like a trooper once again. Woohoo!!!

Goldenmom
July 30th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Oh one more thing, what is best to stop diarhhea in your pet??? Is there something I could feed him that would help???
He is eating anything now and drinking like a trooper once again. Woohoo!!!

Canned pumpkin is the best for the runs. Also plain rice.

I am thinking of you often and praying this will all get better. :D

Heather

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Luba always has good comments for this too!! :D I don't really, sorry.

Hey, where west of Ottawa are you?

bullilover
July 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Hey, where west of Ottawa are you?

I live in Pembroke. I am about an hour and 15min. drive to downtown Ottawa.

Have you ever given your pet Kaopectate (sp?) or Pepto Bismol??
I just finished boiling up some hamburger and rinsing it really well, I am making him type of stew and mixing in some kibble as well. We need to build some protein!!
Just got off the phone with my girlfriend in ottawa actually and she is 100 percent supporting me keeping him.
Her suggestion is pallative care, that may lead to forever love!!
Gotta love her!!
Wish me luck, I will be checking back to see if anyone has any other suggestions, I am writing them all down!! :D :D :D
Thank you, thank you, thank you...I can never say that enough!!

glasslass
July 30th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Good luck and keep us posted frequently! I think we're all rather attached to this little guy. I'm glad you're giving him a chance! Even if his life should be short, he'll experience and know love and happiness. :)

Cactus Flower
July 30th, 2004, 01:32 PM
You said it yourself: "He is such a happy pup". As long as he isn't suffering, I see no reason for him to be PTS.

Bless you for not giving up on him, for being willing to try to work this out and give him a good quality of life, for not allowing him to be PTS because he is so much extra work/expense. Many people would have done that, taken the vet on his authority and allowed this adorable little fellow to be put down. Then they'd find themselves an "easier" dog.

No matter how this ends up for both of you, you can be confident that you did ALL you could for him. I trust your judgment completely, as you've shown such wonderful tenacity in trying to save him and exhaust all other possibilities.

HUGE cyber-hugs to you!

mastifflover
July 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM
;) Pepto bismol is okay for dogs I don't know about kaopectate but I have used Imodium as well but your guy is to young for it since they don't make a childrens formula. Plain cooked pasta or rice are always good and canned pumpkin not the pumpkin pie filling just to clarify what goldenmom wrote about the pumpkin I didnt realize there were 2 different types at first. Also adding some yogurt or cottage cheese will help to put a little weight on him just mix it in with his rice. I am so happy to hear that you are going to try and help this little guy and are not taking the easy way out. You are his angel and I wish you and your little guy lots of luck

chico2
July 30th, 2004, 04:42 PM
No need to add anything,obviously everybody is behind your descision to give him a chance,including me....the wee puppy is so lucky to have you.

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 12:43 PM
You can give pepto but only give it if there's vomiting or severe liquid form diarrhea, otherwise there are other ways to compensate....
potato or rice in the diet will help with diarrhea. Sometimes it's an infection that just needs to clear up. IF there is vomiting you can give 1/4 caplet 2x a day for this size and age of dog. Thats what I had to give mine at that age but only did it twice.

I'd stop ALL dog food and prepare home cooked food for this puppy myself. I think I mentioned that you can do this pretty easily and feed several small portions a day.

I'm not sure how much you are or can do for this little sweetie, but seeing that it's a situation that is neurological, the brain controls all functions of the body. If there is some form of brain damage it can affect everything from balance, vision, breathing, digestive, elimination and whatever else you can think of.

It would certainly be worth a shot in my opinion to have a complete neurological assessment done and not just by a regular vet but by a neurologist. The damage to the brain could have been from a virus or injury, you may never know what is what. BUT the brain can heal, it may not be a lost cause. Healing time can and will be slow but if there is a chance I think you may want to consider your possibilities.

I would contact chiropractors and chiropractic neurologists in your area see if any of them specialize in the treatment of dogs. Some do!! OR they can refer you to someone who can.

It may be that the dog needs some form of physical therapy to stimulate the part of the brain that is damaged.

For instance, notice the side of the body that is weak, limp....feel the musles and tone from one side to the other..you will see if there is a difference. If there is that means you need to stimulate the opposite side of the brain.

Lets say the dog is weak on the left side of the body only. Then you stimulate the right brain by working on the left side. Gently massage and flex the legs while holding puppy, only the left legs. Rub them and press gently on the muscle areas. Rub the face, around the ear, buttock...everything on that one side.

The brain could be the reason for the blindness and the vision MAY be able to recover if the brain does.

When you do this type of physical therapy you must be gentle, esp at first. Also while doing the therapy place some cotton ball in the dogs opposite ear. If weak on the left side put the cotton in the right ear. This will stimulate the left ear and thus the right brain.

You may find that even keeping the cotton in the ear will help with balance.

Try that and see how it goes.

The protein shakes at this time may just irritate the bowel, wait until the diarrhea stops...home cook the meals. Go buy some powdered milk, and make sure pup gets about a teaspoon of it each day for calcium. Mix it in with the food. Fish oil capsuls will help, anything omega fatty acid as well....a little bit only cause this is a puppy. BUt it will help improve brain function.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately but I'll check back and hope that you understand some of what I say.

You may not have to give up on this sweet angel just yet. Things can improve with time. But lets see if some therapy does any good :D

You can always private mesg me if you think I may not see your posts if you want to ask a question or something.

EDITED to add:
Protein is found in meats so you need to make sure pup is getting enough
protein through meat. There may be also some malabsorbtion of protein and thus showing poor readings.

Cactus Flower
July 31st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Isn't Luba the greatest?

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 12:54 PM
Meh. (just kidding!!) :D She's FANTASTIC, unless of course you are posting about a pet that you haven't brought to the vet but it's eye is pussy and he can't stand. LMAO

Luba
July 31st, 2004, 01:10 PM
You two are too much fun! :p

Hey if this therapy works on my swollen head it should work on a dog too!
In fact my chiro neuro has done work on dogs before with much success!!!
Loopie Lubie!!

sammiec
July 31st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Loopie Lubie!!

ROTFLMFAO!! I'm gonna have to just that one again some time!!! :D

Luba
August 10th, 2004, 10:18 PM
I think we're all looking for an update? Hows the pup doing?

Cactus Flower
August 10th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Ditto! Hope all is well!