Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recall on Australian Orijen Cat Food and Dog Chicken Treats

Smiley14
January 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Has anyone seen this or heard anything about this? I stumbled across this article today and it was the first time I've heard of it. As I feed Orijen and it's one of the few companies left that I trust, it has me worried. What do you guys think of their claim that the problems were caused by Australia's irradiation process?

Articles here (http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/167/1/Warning---Orijen-Pet-Food-linked-to-Cat-Deaths/Page1.html), here (http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/229/1/Follow-up-Report-from-Australian-News-on-Orijen-Cat-Food-Chicken-Dog-Treats/Page1.html) and here. (http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2008/s2464272.htm)

bendyfoot
January 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
There were a few discussions on that issue:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58511

Personally, I haven't heard of any other problems ANYwhere else, and there are enough food "watchdogs" out there that I'm sure they'd be reported, loudly. I'm inclined to beleive that the irradiation procedure was responsible. We've fed our cats Orijen for almost 2 years now, no problems at all. I'm not worried.

luckypenny
January 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I think this might help clarify some issues involved with this:

http://championpetfoods.com/Australia_Consumer_Release_Dec20.pdf

According to the media reports you provided links to, not even the Australian authorities can find anything wrong with the food :shrug:.

Smiley14
January 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Oh, phew, thanks guys! This was the first time I've EVER read anything bad about Orijen and it really shocked me. I LOVE this food and feel it's one of the few companies left that I can trust! I'm inclined to believe it's the irradiation as well or else it would have to be a more widespread problem. I've been feeding it for over a year now as well. Thanks for the previous thread on it as well, I'm sorry I missed that or I wouldn't have posted this! Thank you!

wetnose
January 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I believe this recall brings some light to how small of a company Orijen as far as research/development... my sister was feeding Orijen and the dog would get violent soft stool on the Orijen fish out of no where sometimes.

Another funny thing is that I found out from traveling as pharmaceutical rep and talking with other pet food reps is that Champion (who owns Orijen) happens to blog their own pet food. Meaning that they go to forums (like this one) and start threads about their food whether it being asking questions about it or saying how good it is. I think it's illegal for a public company to do something like this but since they're private they can get away with it. Orijen has a good ingredient list but I'm pretty skeptical of a company that would do this.

clm
January 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Sorry Wetnose. I've had nothing but great results from Orijen and I love their food and their customer service. One of the best dry dog and cat foods made in any country IMO.

Cindy

Chaser
January 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Another funny thing is that I found out from traveling as pharmaceutical rep and talking with other pet food reps is that Champion (who owns Orijen) happens to blog their own pet food. Meaning that they go to forums (like this one) and start threads about their food whether it being asking questions about it or saying how good it is. I think it's illegal for a public company to do something like this but since they're private they can get away with it. Orijen has a good ingredient list but I'm pretty skeptical of a company that would do this.

I have never heard of this happening at pets.ca, and it is an extremely high-traffic Canadian pet board. It gets recommended a lot by the regulars here, because we have genuinely had great results with Orijen. This pretty much always is done in response to general food questions posed by new members. I've never seen posts about Orijen that stick out as sketchy attempts at self-promotion. :2cents:

rainbow
January 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Same here....I've been feeding Orijen for a couple of years now to both my dogs and they do great on this food. I've contacted Peter at Champion Pet Foods many times and have had nothing but excellent customer service as well.

There are also many members on this board that feed Orijen with great results and none of them work or blog for Orijen/Champion Pet Foods.

As far as your sister's dog getting soft stool while feeding the 6 Fish formula perhaps she was feeding a crappy food before that and did not switch over slowly enough. It also takes awhile for a dog's digestive system to rid it's body of the effects of the previous food. It is also very likely that the previous food had stool hardeners in the ingredient list.

rainbow
January 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I've never seen posts about Orijen that stick out as sketchy attempts at self-promotion. :2cents:

I agree with that as well. I lurk on several other pet forums and have never seen anything that remotely resembles self promotion.

If you have proof of this please do share.

wetnose
January 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
It is happening, I've heard it from multiple pet food reps that I've encountered... it wasn't just one guy. I think the ingredient list is decent on Orijen but I don't like how they're promoting their product. I feed raw since nothing can replace it, so I really don't care about dry pet food... I just found it interesting a company would do this. They wouldn't try to stick out like a sore thumb either, just getting their name out by talking about Orijen etc. is what they're doing.

This isn't the only thing I've heard from other reps that has proven to be true with pet foods... maybe when I have more time I'll start a thread about what I know about pet food.

This is my first posts on this forum so I don't want to get banned, just want to contribute information that I've heard. I've sort of gone through internet forums and Orijen is one of the more talked about brands forsure so it makes sense to me.

wetnose
January 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
As far as your sister's dog getting soft stool while feeding the 6 Fish formula perhaps she was feeding a crappy food before that and did not switch over slowly enough. It also takes awhile for a dog's digestive system to rid it's body of the effects of the previous food. It is also very likely that the previous food had stool hardeners in the ingredient list.

Anyway I don't want to hi-jack this thread. Maybe I'll start a thread of my own about what I know about pet food one of these days.

How would someone ever be able to prove that a company is self-promoting itself... I hope the company would be smart enough to not make it obvious.

As far as my sisters dog, she was feeding EVO before... a pet food that has almost half the carbs (fact) and more meat. She's back on that since she won't take my recommendation on raw, I understand raw pet food doesn't fit in everyones life style.

clm
January 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
There are a lot of people here that know a lot about dog and cat food. There are some folks here that have had trouble feeding Orijen, but most have not. I would take what the reps are saying with a grain of salt. They work for another company....may I ask which foods they peddle? So they have a vested interest in slamming other foods in the market.

Cindy

rainbow
January 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Anyway I don't want to hi-jack this thread. Maybe I'll start a thread of my own about what I know about pet food one of these days.

There are quite a few members here that would love to see the knowledge you have to share so looking forward to your new thread.

How would someone ever be able to prove that a company is self-promoting itself... I hope the company would be smart enough to not make it obvious.

I absolutely do not believe that Champion Pet Foods would self promote any of their brands. Orijen is so popular that some places have had a hard time keeping it in stock.

As far as my sisters dog, she was feeding EVO before... a pet food that has almost half the carbs (fact) and more meat. She's back on that since she won't take my recommendation on raw, I understand raw pet food doesn't fit in everyones life style.

EVO has 12% carbs and Orijen has 18% carbs. EVO is a good food but it also has a higher fat content (22%) than Orijen (16%) and I disagree that it has more meat content but we will leave that discussion for your new thread so we don't hijack this one any further.

I would take what the reps are saying with a grain of salt. They work for another company....may I ask which foods they peddle? So they have a vested interest in slamming other foods in the market.

Cindy

Exactly......good point, Cindy. :thumbs up

rainbow
January 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
To put this thread back on track ....

Q: ISNíT IRRADIATION GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE?

A: YES. But Irradiation is typically applied to human foods at doses between 5-10kGY.
ORIJEN in Australia received a minimum level of 50 kGY and records recovered from the Australian irradiation facility show that ORIJEN was irradiated to levels reaching 61 kGY. THESE ARE VERY SUBSTANTIAL LEVELS OF IRRADIATION.
Studies indicate that cats fed dry cat food irradiated at levels between 36 and 47kGY develop the same neurological symptoms as seen in the Australian cats.

The above quote is from this Australian website http://www.bowhouse.com.au/p/670657/orijen-cat-food-update.html which has the same information as the one luckypenny posted.

luckypenny
January 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Fortunately, I don't need anyone to sell me the product. From experience, and even though our own dogs are raw fed, all our foster pups are fed Orijen and they thrive on it :thumbs up and we're entirely satisfied.

ebonyonivory
January 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Orijen is no longer available in australia. I never got the chance to try it and was glad of that.

The news was that a lot of cats fed this food were becoming very ill and some were dying.

All due to the chemical treatment it received before it was sold in aust.

There are a few other USA foods we can buy over here that aren't chemically treated .. so I don't know why Orijen had to be?

I personally use California Natural, which isn't treated .. we've been told by Natura.

Sujaki
January 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
There are a few other USA foods we can buy over here that aren't chemically treated .. so I don't know why Orijen had to be?

It had to be treated because it had a high inclusion of 'fresh meats' and was cooked at low temperatures..Unlike pretty much any other brand :/ I guess they figured there could be some bacteria or parasite on it that could affect the ecosystem.

I still feed my Chloe Orijen, but I'm worried. I got a new bag of Orijen Cat about 3-4 weeks ago, and it was extremely different from the old/first bag I had- it was more gray in colour, had lots of grainy sediment on it, and is more like thin little triangular chips instead of triangular chunks. It also smells much, much different form the old bag- it smells bad. I e-mailed them about it with my concerns a while ago, and I haven't gotten a word from them yet. I know that there are variations in the batches, but to go through such a big change and to end up smelling gross?

And I'm silly enough to still be feeding it, I'm ashamed to say.

schwillis
January 21st, 2009, 03:29 AM

id like you to start a new thread, im interested how the sales reps know this without having proof, the only way they would know is if they saw proof through a IP address ad matched it to the IP adress of champion pet foods.

luckypenny
January 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
I still feed my Chloe Orijen, but I'm worried. I got a new bag of Orijen Cat about 3-4 weeks ago, and it was extremely different from the old/first bag I had- it was more gray in colour, had lots of grainy sediment on it, and is more like thin little triangular chips instead of triangular chunks. It also smells much, much different form the old bag- it smells bad. I e-mailed them about it with my concerns a while ago, and I haven't gotten a word from them yet. I know that there are variations in the batches, but to go through such a big change and to end up smelling gross?

And I'm silly enough to still be feeding it, I'm ashamed to say.

Sujaki, if you're worried, take it back to the store you bought it from for a refund (keep a small baggie's worth in case the company asks you to send them a sample). Take note of the lot number and expiry date, email the company again with that info until you get a response. You can get another bag with a different lot number. If the store has gotten other complaints/concerns, they will often open the bag right there to ensure the customer is satisfied.