Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten not eating

Charley
July 30th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I just got an 8 week old kitten who refuses to eat her dry food. She will have a bite or two out of my hand, but only when presented with no other option (as in we sit on floor and after she eats a kibble I let her climb on me). we have tried soaking her food and she still won't eat it. I've heard that I should give her wet food, but I don't want her to expect wet food all the time as the other cat (10 months) in the house doesn't get wet food and is fine. Please help, it has been a week and we can't figure it out. She was at a vet the other day who said that she is perfectly healthy and just to wait it out, but I'm getting worried

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Charley;
I woudl suggest maybe trying the wet food, it's better than her eating nothing. I wouldn't panic though! I had a similar "problem" with my puppy. 1 cup of food would last her 2 days. I was concern that she wasn't getting enough nutrience because she wouldn't eat. I had consulted the vet and his response was the same as yours. She was gaining the proper weight and was healthy, he wasn't concerned. So I waited it out and everything is just fine!!! :D

Sunkist/Winnie
July 30th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Sunkist my youngest hates dry food. I trick her into eating some of by mixing it with her wet food. Took me a while to get the mixture right so she would eat it...but now I've got it down to a science. She isn't much of a water drinker so this is another way for her to get some moisture in her diet too.

I make sure to give my other cat a tablespoon in her dish so she doesn't get jealous thinking the younger one is getting special teatment.

Maybe you could try mixing the wet kitten food with the dry stuff...and gradually change it to me mostly dry with a spoonful of wet as a treat.

maxim1
July 30th, 2004, 09:35 AM
I am running into the same problem with my 6 week old kitten. I thought she was eating the dry food that was mixed with water, but turns out she was licking the water off it and not eating the rest.

So what I did was bought the pouches of the Nutro kitten chicken/liver. Its soft square chunks of food in gravy and I mix in the dry food. She goes nuts for it. And the doctor told me to just start adding more dry food and less of the rest every week.

At least it's not the wet stuff and she's eating. And not too expensive. A pouch cost me 79 cents and lasts a day.

Charley
July 30th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the advice!! Where do you buy the Nuti wet food? I will definetely give that try if it means that she will eat and hopefully I'll be bale to get her off of it once she gets a bit older...