Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on the " Stray Drifter"

rotts4ever
January 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
:cry: sadly it has been determined that he will need the surgery. Right now he has a yeast infection in that ear because it is so scarred that nothing can drain out like it should. He is partialy deaf in that ear while it is so closed.

My vet may do it or I will have to send him to PEI to the vet college there. This is going to be almost impossible for me. Right now my husband isn't travelling ( trucker) which is where he makes the most money. On the 27th the company I work for will go on strike. Drifter don't quailfy for my medical insurance for the animals. Besides, even if he did , the insurance won't cover because it was an injury before taking out the plan for him. Right now I don't have a price as Drifter will have to be knocked out to see how much damage and what it will entail to fix it.
Nobody will adopt him with this bill. I have to get it done before he is adopted out. The vet says once it is done, he will be fine but it is necessary or he will be deaf and always have ear problems.:shrug:

babymomma
January 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Aww,rotts4ever I hope the little guy can get his surgery and find another great home! he is already so blessed to have found you! YOu are a true angel, for doing everything you can for the 'little' guy!

hazelrunpack
January 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM
There are some options out there for payment, like this one, if you're eligible:

http://www.petcard.ca/

I know there are others...I'm hoping other members will be able to chime in with other options! :thumbs up

Best of luck to you and to Drifter! :goodvibes:

lUvMyLaB<3
January 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
WOW thanks for that li go the LINK!! Good timing! My parents very very loved cat is coughing and they are worried but it is a bad week as my mom is very ill. I am going to let them know! Never heard of pet card!

Rottielover
January 13th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I agree with a payment plan. Go in and speak to the accounting dept in the vet clinic that you use, if they know you well, they should have no issues with it at all.
Care credit cancelled because they were not making money, so I panicked having a dog accident prone and normally sick and one with cancer. So I braved it, I called them up, they told me if I need to I can arrange payment plans with them to help my animals.
Always worth a shot.

rotts4ever
January 31st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the links and suggestions. :thumbs up My vet is pretty good. We go to see him this week and hopefully we can arrange payments. We are hoping that the meds cleared up this last infection so we can get him fixed up and fixed lol.

I am going to be really busy in a week or 2 because I am getting ANOTHER foster. This one is from Ont. We have saved her TWICE from death row because of irresponsible owners. This sweet 2 yr old has done nothing wrong. But because of what she is and her past owner....
So now I have to find her a new home. She can't go to anyone in Ontario because of the laws ( and a stipulation from AC / COURTS) but other places she can. She is fully proffessionally trained etc. There is nothing that has to be done to make her a great doggie. Because of her old owner, I can't list her anywhere where they may see her. The owner is not to know anything about this dog. They are the type of people who would cause havoc and it isn't fair to the new parents. I wish I could keep her... she has been a part of my life now for almost her whole life. So wish us luck on finding a forever home. She don't deserve to live out her life in a cage or to be PTS.

Rottielover
January 31st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Oh I wish your new/old foster happier times ahead. I wish you luck with Drifter too, seems like you will have your hands full

rainbow
January 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Oh my, you really do have your hands full. :angel: :grouphug:

Hopefully your vet will understand and let you make payments to help Drifter. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

There is also this option ...

http://www.medicard.com/patient_financing.php

Also, this is posted on the PEI Vet College website ( http://www.upei.ca/avc/referring_vet_information ) .....

Financial Responsibility

Clients should be informed that fees are charged for all services and they are expected to make a deposit for one-half the estimated cost of the service on admission and to make full payment on discharge. AVCís VTH accepts cash, personal cheques, Visa, Mastercard, and bank debit cards. Although the VTH does not encourage payment plans, it will consider a plan in situations of severe financial constraint. Owners must contact Hospital Administration to set up a plan before agreeing to cost estimates given by hospital clinicians.

rainbow
January 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
I forgot to say wishing you lots of good luck with Drifter .....I hope he can have his operation soon and a new forever home that he so deserves. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Also, regarding the new foster, I'm so glad you were able to get her out of Ontario. :thumbs up :angel: There are a couple of people on this forum that may be able to help with the placement of her .....I will pm them the link to this thread. :goodvibes:

14+kitties
January 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Poor Drifter. He has been through a lot. You are such an :angel: for all you do with these pups!! Thank you!! I still have great hope that Drifter will find his forever home soon!

MommaKat
February 13th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Oh Drifter :sad: I'm glad he has you though. I will :fingerscr and give :goodvibes: that he has a speedy recovery. Oh and some:goodvibes: and :grouphug: for the girl that is coming back to you.