Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New small breed puppy

Mouthov
January 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hi there,

I have a new chihuahua/shih tzu mix, she is 3 months old born Oct 3. She has had her second shots and is doing good overall. We are feeding her Purina Pro Plan we decided on this one walking around the store and comparing prices and so on. We did not go with the most expensive but defently not cheap either. She has no problem changing from the wet to the dry bit by bit and has regular bowel movements with this food, we did buy a second bag and have continued to use it. She is 7 pounds now and the bag says to feed her 3/4 cup to 1 cup a day. I divide that by 3 usually giving her a cup. She gobbles it so fast I dont even think she is chewing it and then if I am in the kitchen again she thinks I am going to feed her again or sniffs around looking. She is not whining or barking at me just hanging around like a good girl waiting to be fed. Is she eating enough, should I give her more without making her fat of course. Are there any ideas to slow her down and satisfy her more?
Thanks

bendyfoot
January 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Welcome and congrats on your pup!

The first thing I'll point out is the brand of food you're feeding right now. Unfortunately, despite the price tag and the advertising, Pro Plan is just not a good quality food for your little one. I'd check out some of the other recent threads in the food forum for some good ideas, like this one: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59649

Your little one enjoys eating, from the sounds of it! It's hard to tell sometimes from their behaviour if they're getting enough food but there are some things you can look for to help figure it out and to help lengthen feeding time: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59155

You may find, if you switch her to a better quality food that provides more meat protein, she may not be so hungry between meals!:D

Mouthov
January 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM
hi,

thanks for your help, I noticed the two noted were Wellness and Orijen are there are any other dry foods you would recommend. I can see I am looking for something with the first 5 ingredients being meat such as the meat itself and then meat meal. Stay away from corn is what I am gathering. Anything else I should know, do I need to go to a certain store for this or do they sell brands or good quality food at Petsmart (of course close and convienent)
Thanks

bendyfoot
January 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
You're probably not going to find anything at PetSmart (I never have).

Try a Global Ryan's Pet Store, they've got a great selection...also, some Barrys Pet Stores are really good. You're likely going to have to go to a smaller shop, but you're in TO, so you should have lots of options.

Here are some other good brands to look for:

Innova
Merrick
Canidae
Natural Balance
Avoderm
Back to Basics
Before Grain
Solid Gold
Wysong
Taste of the Wild
Timberwolf

Happy hunting!:D

BusterBoo
January 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hi and welcome to you and your new pup! (Does she have a name???)

I have a tzu/bichon mix and he eats a combination of Wellness whitefish and Orijen Fish and does well with that. Tzus can have a problem with dry skin and itchies so you need a very good quality food to help them out with the itchies.

Petsmart doesn't sell Wellness or Orijen, but if you have a Pet Valu, they do sell Wellness. Also, I think Wellness has a Puppy Formula food, you might want to look into that...

and one last thing...do you have pictures of your pup??? :D

Mouthov
January 13th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Her name is Angel and I will post a pic tomorrow, she is so sweet. her hair is really growing on her paws and face, nice big eyebrows...so funny. I found a store that sells Orijen its called Global Pet Foods so I will take a trip and start the process of switching her. Thanks for the help, I do notice her itching somewhat and only the fur around her neck is soft the rest is a little rough (could be the food). Also she hates sweaters and boots just prefers to run around in the snow without them...I keep trying though because I am sure she would play longer if her little feet didn't get so cold.

Mouthov
January 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Here is my puppy

diandpat
January 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Aw, she really is an :angel:

It's good that you have found a Global near you to buy your pooches food. They have very good grain free treats there too that you might like to look into.

I have a wheatern/shihtzu mix who always looks like he is ravenous...even if he has just eaten :shrug: Don't let the little devil fool ya :laughing::laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oh, she is a little doll! :flirt: I'll bet she can be a little dickens now and then! She has a mischievous gleam in her eyes. :D

bendyfoot
January 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM
What a cutie! She looks like she has a little JRT in there too!:lovestruck:

Mouthov
January 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
She could have anything in her, I kept looking on Petfinder and then looked on craiglist as well. She was on craiglist 4 puppies were born apparently from a lady that borders dogs (so she claims) and two of them got busy:dog:. She gave me her card and said if I ever need her but if you saw this place you would never go back but rescue more dogs. I saw the mother she was white Shih Tzu filthy looking thing. The house was so gross they had them gated in the kitchen but it had looked like it had never been cleaned, just stinky paper over paper. You could tell Angel had barely eaten she was the smallest and the skinnest, poor things fought over the food. I would like to have adopted one from petfinder but we found her and grabbed her on our first visit I could'nt leave her there and if I could have took the last 2 I would have but one at a time. I could see the Jack in her, she is a very good jumper can get up on the couch now...lol

jcampbell21
February 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have a ****zu/chihuahua mix as well.. Started him out on puppy chow but then wised up. Now hes on blue buffalo and has done really well over the past couple of years.. its definitly the best food available at petsmart, and the ingredients are pretty good. its grain heavy, but theres no bi products and all of that crap

MindysMom
February 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM
My Max is 4 1/2 months old and always acts like he is starving as well (but he isn't). I agree with the others on the good quality food. I think they probably need to eat less of it as well.