Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fagan... the saga continues...

krdahmer
January 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Well I've been pretty scarce lately I know:sorry:... and I do try to catch up when I get a chance. I'm not used to working this much, and it's even more the next couple of weeks as a girl is getting married and taking all kinds of time off.

But anyhow... not important, once again I am taking Fagan for another depo shot this afternoon after he just had one in december. Just after he got the last shot, and while we were away for xmas at the inlaws, there was yet another flood in our basement (that the landlord insists he's already remedied:rolleyes::frustrated:). So I am convinced that stress is his big trigger for these episodes, the thing is once he gets going on his little areas he just doesn't seem to be able to stop without a shot. (tried pills, holistic meds, RR, oils (coconut seems to get us further between episodes last before december was 3 months earlier), anxiety meds, c-collars. ) The food and routine we have now seems to have led to some improvement over 3 years ago when this all started out of the blue, but I just hate to see him so uncomfortable (and I also feel guilty because this round started right after hubby and I had a big blow up, you know stress money the usual but it got a bit unruly in the raised voices department...:o) He has started chewing also when I can't recall a particular stress, but then I'm not home 24/7 so who knows what kind of things go on here when I'm gone that could stress him out. What really gets me is that 90% of the time he is such a cool, laid back little happy cat. I'm just wondering what else I might be doing to destress him that last 10% of the time?!

So I'm wondering do any of you do any kitty (or doggy) massage or like reflexology, or know of any good websites for trying it at home? I saw a video of a lady massaging her cat... the cat seemed to be in heaven, laid out on his back letting her massage right under his arms, eyes closed totally relaxed!

Oh and Happy New Year... and :goodvibes: & :pray: for all the best for you and all your furries in 2009!!! :grouphug:

mummummum
January 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Luckypenny lent me a book about Tellington Touch (which I still have http://bestsmileys.com/blushing/4.gif ) and I find the techniques really do work for blissing my gang out generally but also for help with reducing anxiety as well as with pain control.

Some one else here (I'll have to search around for the post ~ it was about compulsive foot-chewing) used a pheromone diffuser with some success.

luckypenny
January 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
That's ok :D, I still have the DVD and cue cards, it's all pretty repetitious.

It's worth a try krdahmer and fairly easy to learn.

krdahmer
January 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I found a few videos of it on utube! It looks really neat! And there is one specifically for aggressive cats too... might try that on Smoke! Thanks for the tip! :thumbs up:D

Tried the ear stroking on Buddy already, he kinda thinks I'm nuts now, but that's his fault for plopping himself in front of my while I was watching the video! :rolleyes::laughing:

Oh and Fagan's got some good scabs now that he seems to be leaving alone :fingerscr so looks like we're on the mend again!

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I just saw this now. Sorry Fagan has his itchies again.

The kitty massage sounds like a great idea to destress him. I was also thinking about something that might help him with the itching.

I remember when I got Maks, they bathed him with this lime sulpher solution for his scabies. Recently when I thought Vlad had worms I bought some sulpher soap and I would wash his bald patches twice daily with the soap. I'd wash it good and at the suggestion of my vet, I'd rub some neosporine cream, not gel over the area.

I don't know how much the sulpher would help, but it might at the very least relieve his itching for a bit. :shrug:

14+kitties
January 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm glad Fagan is on the mend again. It's so worrisome when he does this to you. Sending lots of :goodvibes: the Depto shot works a little longer this time. And good luck on the massage. :thumbs up