Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I get a sweater coat for my puppy?

lovablepet
January 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I just got a puppy two weeks ago and my puppy is always cold outside when I walk him. Should I get a sweater coat for him?

ancientgirl
January 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I think it's a good idea to put a coat on puppies and dogs that have little fur. Heck, if I had a dog I'd probably put on booties too, just in case his/her paws get too cold on the ground.

mummummum
January 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
My neighbour's long-haired Chihuahua starts to shake inside the house when she has her parka and boots put on ~ apparently just the thought of going out into the cold makes her cold.

My grrrl's were born in the Fall, have dense coats and have never used clothes however, my last grrrl was born in late Spring, also had a dense coat but always felt the cold and had to wear an overcoat. We meet lots of short-haired dogs ripping around the dogpark and walking on the street with no clothes on who don't seem to be suffering a bit. If you think your dog is cold, I would get him a parka style coat rather than a sweater style as the wind-proofing fabric will retain body heat more efficiently than a knit.

Boots can be important. If you live in a urban environment where salt and de-icers are used, boots are definitely recommended (if you can keep them on :rolleyes: ) for sensitive puppy pads.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I think for sure if it is cold! My lab shakes outside and starts lifting one paw at a time If I don't so she always wears a coat, and sometimes when it is real cold I have a fleece one that I put under. And I agree the salt and ice chunks can be bad for paws so I think boots are important, especially in the city! My furry little dog also gets a coat! Depends where you live I guess.. I know it should be pretty much madatory here in MB in the winter for dogs without a lot of fur!!!!!!!!!!!