Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are any of you Foster Pet Parents??

krdahmer
July 30th, 2004, 12:54 AM
I'm looking into Fostering pets, cats in particular. I will have to wait till I have a house, but am doing my research now. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences or knew of any organizations I can get in contact with. :)

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2004, 10:54 AM
I have fostered many animals - both cats and dogs. Do you have cats of your own?

For cats you foster, you will be responsible for keeping them separate from your own cats especially if your cats go outside. You will have to take the foster to any vet appointments, and also to adoption events, and remain for the duration of the event. The rescue will likely provide food, litter etc., but would be very appreciative if you could help with the cost of these things.

You may also be required to allow potential adopters to view the animal in your home.

Find an organization that is reputable, and who will be very involved with trying to get homes for cats or kittens that you are fostering. Make sure you find out all about it beforehand. You want to be assured that the cats will not be dumped on you and you never hear from these people again!

Ask if they require you to sign an foster aggreement.

In order for us to suggest an organization, you need to tell us where you are located.

krdahmer
July 30th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Ya I guess my location would be helpful huh. I'm in Niagara Falls. And I actually plan to set up a completely seperate building (good size shed with heat/air/water) when we build our house. That way the cats would have their own space, as I plan to have custom cages and a play area put in as well. Also I have read enough to know that they need to be seperated from my girls, Smoke and Windy, which is why I cannot start fostering until I have built my home. I think for me the Fostering will be only a start, I may look into a not for profit type business where I can house the cats until suitable homes are found by myself. I would love also to help dogs (for you dog lovers wondering why I have chosen cats), but I am severely allergic to many breeds. Any and all of your advice is appreciated. :D

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Well, fostering cats is certainly easier than fostering dogs. For cats, all you need is a spare room.:) And dogs need room, and time, and most of them need training and lots of attention. Some may have behavior problems that you will need to know how to work on.

If you are planning to start your own facility, I really suggest you begin by volunteering to help out at a rescue now and learn how things are done. What you are planning is a whole other ballgame.

You will have people calling you night and day trying to dump their animals on you and you will have to learn how to say No. Many of these people will become nasty and abusive if you don't take their pets. The hardest part of all is knowing that you cannot save them all.:(