Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy won't walk outside..advice?

cegg320
January 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I have a 3mth old german mix, and he's not exactly wanting to walk outside. Is there any advice anyone could give to me? I hate to drag him out.THANKS!

babymomma
January 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Well, Is this a german shepherd mix or a German shorthaired pointer mix? Or what?

If its a german shepherd and you really want him to walk, dont drag him, that will only make him want to defy you more. This dog is used as a herding dog, use your hands to nip at his back ankles. It will get him moving. Dont do the nip motion hard, to hurt him, just to get him going.

luckypenny
January 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
The great big world might be awfully scary from a young pup's viewpoint. Have you tried making a game of having him follow you? You can taunt him with a toy or a treat and once he reaches you, make a big deal of what a good boy he is. Don't worry if he's not making it around the block with you, playing in the yard or for the length of several houses is enough for such a young pup. Before long, he'll realize it's not so scary and he'll try taking you for walks :D.

Do we get pictures :rolleyes: :D?

luckypenny
January 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
If its a german shepherd and you really want him to walk, dont drag him, that will only make him want to defy you more.

He's only a wee little baby, I don't think defiance is what's going on here ;).

babymomma
January 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
He's only a wee little baby, I don't think defiance is what's going on here ;).

Oh dear, Hes only 3 months old? didnt even notice that part:o Umm, hes a baby and he is probably scared:shrug: Still, dont drag, you can hurt his soft little paw pads. And make him more scared. Use postitive reinforcment, treats and toys outta get the baby moving..When I took my pup out side for the first time, She was to interested in it to be scared. she wanted to sniff everything and Run around..lol Good luck!

ownedbycats
January 12th, 2009, 07:29 AM
If he is like my almost 3 mnth old puppy, at least half of his belly has no fur on it. (And, when I asked my vet if the no fur was normal she said all puppies are born that way:eek:) He may not want to go out because with all this snow and cold that belly is getting pretty frozen. Don't try to keep him out too long. Yes, he needs walks but not hour long ones at this point because you don't want him to get frostbite. Even with a coat, my vet advises being careful how long you make your animal stay out in sub-zero temperatures.

kaylie
January 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM
When you are walking out of the door, make sure you have a straight back and walk along with confidence, get him out the door by giving him a treat and encouraging him to walk by your side, hold the lead in the opposite hand to which your dog is, and a harness is essential!!! Walk a little way up the road and turn back, still encourage him with treats, make sure you get him used to as many types of vehicle as possible as it is vital for him to get used to them sooner rather than later. If he goes the other way and starts to pull, stop and stand still until the lead is slack, then continue walking. You need to do this everytime and give him a treat once the lead has gone slack. You may feel a little silly especially if you live in a built up area, but a dog which learns not to pull as a puppy is very unlikely to pull as a full grown dog. This is pretty essential with a GS!!

Mgue
January 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I got my puppy at about 3 months, and he was also reluctant to walk. He'd put his head down and just root his paws. He was just scared. At night time especially, the wind would rustle the leaves in the trees and he'd panic! :) I used treats to lure him a few steps at a time, and then we'd go back in after a few minutes.

Keep taking him out & getting him used to the environment & sounds and eventually his fear will go away, and I'm sure he'll love walking. My previously scared pup just loves going for walks now.

Mouthov
January 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
My puppy just 3 months as well we have had her for just over a month. She hated the coller and the leash she would jump all around and whine and then get all tangled. We would do it everyday she would walk no where just jump around I let her do it try to coax her along with my daughter to play with her, we starting getting a couple of houses down...boy she would run home no problem. When inside I would leave the collar on she would try and get it off but I left it on for 1/2hr or so..We started to use treats as well as learing the Angel "come here" we choose come here instead of "come". This way she was learing to come here and I would reward her praise and a half a treat. Then I would walk some more and do it again...now she walks around the block (half in this cold weather she is tiny) sometimes she gets stuck and stands there. I dont give her a treat everytime though but most. She is now starting to wander a bit sniffing around, watching cars going by, looking at people shoveling snow. More curious now that she knows the leash is not going to get her. Just keep it up and yes dont pull try the come here and treat your puppy will get it. Oh another thing I didnt check where you live but the salt really hurts their paws, mine screams but hates the boots boy you can never win...good luck:angel: