Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Im going to attempt Groomig Keely myself..lol

babymomma
January 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Although i love keelys groomer, I would like to do some of the more basic stuff myself.Its just too expnsive, she needs the hair trimmed around her feet and eyes done almost every 2 weeks and her nails cut. And keelys groomer is the only one around here, therefor there ois no competition, and her pprices are through the roof! I think I can manage to Cut the fur around her paws, bum and eyes, no? And Im sure I could manage Plucking the hair outta her ears by myself. And Mayb even cutting her nails? But I need to build confidance first, therefore any advice would be appreciated. I have already cut the fur around her eyes, and Imust say i did a pretty darn good job..lol..

A few questions..

when plucking the hair from the ears,what are the boundries? Where should I start and stop?

Also, I have heard that applying babypowder to the ears first would make the hair easier to come out and cause her less discomfort. Any truth to this?

The Hair growing out from in between her paw pads, Should I keep that long so her paws stay warmer while outside? BUt if its long, does that cause her to have less grip on wood and tile floors?

Is keeping the hair on her belly shaved a good idea? If so, where are the boundaries for that?

One of these days, when I have built more confidance and have more experiance I would like to do a full body trim, Any advice for that?

Thanks in advance!

lUvMyLaB<3
January 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM
i have a shih tzu lhasa apso cross. I keep his hair lonnng and I groom him myself. I also do some freinds and neighbors dogs. never used baby powder in the ears. if anyone knows please tell me too! I pull out the inside stuff and leave the flappy parts so that No hair is touching the ear itself. I would trim the paws short, it would actually make it worse outside because more ice and snow would build up on it.. GOOD LUCK!! I looove grooming my baby! Good for you I say! I am sure your baby would LOVE mommy doing it, probably more cookies that way! ;)

lUvMyLaB<3
January 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
ohh sorry not done am i? I don't know what the groomer has done for you but I have never shaved the belly I trim around his u know whatchama call it.. but not a full shave although other than being chilly I don't see the harm if you like it.. I only use scissors I like giving him shapes right now he has pom poms on his legs hee hee and I like it.. But if you get good clippers it is fast and easy. I got some really good sharp human hair scissors and trim wherever i want to trim I know I was lucky looking online for some breed appropriate hair cuts so maybe try searching because I know that I found many many step by step giudes. The good thing is it grows back so I say go for it and do it yourself!! I started because I had clippers and I traded a friend, i did their dog and they trim my horses feet, then all kinds of people asked I have had a cocker spaniel in the past that I did with clippers. He is gone now :( but my new little boy has more than enough hair for me to play with!! YAY for you, put some before and after pics when u do give it a shot! It'll be great and puppy will love showing off the new 'do that mommy gave her!!

Winston
January 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Babymomma I am sure you could do it yourself...There are lots of books out there and I think Aslan can probably give you some advice too! she knows lots about grooming! There are conventions where they show you all kinds of doggy stuff and I am pretty sure you can pick up the grooming tools you need at a decent price.

Cant wait to see post grooming pics! :thumbs up

babymomma
January 11th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thank you both for the advice! I am going to search the web for some good yorkie 'cuts' but i wont do anything too drastic..lol..

binkybuff
January 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
As a retired certified groomer, may I make some suggestions here.

If one is going to groom their dog themselves

1. make sure you find out how to brush the dog to prevent mats. Mats will NOT wash out. Most groomers will teach you how to brush your dog properly, to help with removal of mats, and keeping them out. Always brush your dog first, then bathe them, it is a lot easier on equipment used if done that way, and then be dry when groomed.

2. NEVER pull the mat to cut, you could cut the skin, lay the scissors just through the mat, and cut, then move down until you have it cut out.

3. It doesn't matter if you pull the hair out of the ears, I don't pull my schnauzers anymore.

4. DO NOT use people shampoo, or even baby shampoo for your dog, it doesn't have the right ph balance, and you can end up with skin conditions. Make sure the dog is well rinsed after its bath, if not sure, rinse it again.

5. A good groomer would much rather cut themselves with the scissors, than cut the dog, CAREFUL is the word here.

6. Sometimes dogs won't stand for their owners, as they are trying to be top dog, and then it is a battle, which unless the owner is very stern, they will never win. They will whine, snap, some have pooped on the table, also peed. At this point most owners will give up.

7. Be aware, that there will be hair all over if you groom at home, when I groom Nikki, she is good on the table, but I still get hair all over the floor, from my moving about.

8. since I do have a grooming table, and most of my equipment, I use it inside. I make sure my kitchen table is covered with a sheet, that I can take out and shake, and then wash. Even with that, there are little hairs from cleaning equipment that seem to fly everywhere. I have to use my kitchen to act as my grooming salon.

9. Sometimes, when one grooms certain dogs, the hair will imbed itself into you, and you have to pull it out, if you don't it can travel, and become infected somewhere inside you. Some of those hairs are only about 1/8th of an inch and hard to see, but can be felt at times, depending upon where they are imbedded.

10. If you purchase equipment to groom your dog, remember that the initial price of clipper and 1 blade is a certain amount, and if you want any other blades, they are quite expensive. Don't choose a real cheap clipper, as you will only end up with lines, which make the cut look cheap, or home done.

11. I only shaved tummys if the people wanted them done, or if it was a whelping bitch. With Nikki, I use scissors to pattern and trim her skirt and feathers, beard and eyebrows. (that is hair on the tummy and the legs.)

12. My suggestion to you, is to do a small part at a time, remember your dog won't stand for you as it would a groomer, since they have already set the dominance situation in their shop. NEVER take too much at one time, until you are really sure that is what you want, and how you want it to look. It might just be a whole lot better to shorten the coat up a little at a time, and then when you have the right look, keep it that way.

In order to groom, I took an 8 week course, apprenticed for 8 weeks, did written, oral, and practical tests. As I said, I certified myself, by taking further courses, and tests.

Hope that helps you. Just remember it isn't as easy as it looks at times, a lot depends upon how you and your dog react to each other, while doing it.

take care
binky

babymomma
January 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Binky! Thank you for all of the great advice! I am the dominabt one in the 'relationship'..lol.. I believe I am the pack leader, so i dont think I will have a problem with that part of it. Even though I am 15, I do feel pretty confident that I can do this. I have watched quite a few grooming videos on Youtube which has given me alot of information on the subject as well. I plan on getting keelys recent groomer to teach me a little bit about it. I will still bring keely in to her for the hard stuff, but i can manage the more simple stuff. When i get started, would you mind if I pmed you with questions if i get stuck or need advice? It would be a wondeful help. :thumbs up

ScottieDog
January 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Remember 2 things. First, keep telling yourself that "I can do this." Second, hair grows back!

Our little rescue Tipper was so fearful and we believed she was abused at a groomer, so we decided to groom her ourselves. Our best resource was Scottish Terrier rescue groups. I got great information and met a couple of wonderful folks online. The first few haircuts were not perfect, but we learned and she was very comfortable with us doing the work (hubby clipped, I held, treated and brushed).

The best advice is to get really good clippers. Ours are Andis model AG. We also got a few blades, but Scotties need 2-3 different blades. Also, get some good scissors (barber or grooming). These will make all the difference. One of the best thing with us grooming our dog was that we could adjust the line for her skirt and furnishings to show Tipper at her best. She was heavy and very wide in the shoulders. Most Scotties coming from groomers wear a "hula skirt" and the line is straight. The dog's aren't always groomed for their body type.

We now have excellent, professional equipment that we can use to groom our new little girl. It was expensive to buy the equipment, but our cost per grooming goes down with each hair cut. I can't imagine not having Scotties, so our setup is well worth the investment. Good luck! You can do it!:thumbs up

Dracko
January 11th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Why do people pluck the hair out of dog's ears? I have a GSD so I've never experienced all this grooming and am not familiar with problems with hair in the ears.

babymomma
January 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Why do people pluck the hair out of dog's ears? I have a GSD so I've never experienced all this grooming and am not familiar with problems with hair in the ears.

It can cause ear infections. Keely has had a few already because of the hair, and the vet finally suggested plucking the hair out and she hasnt had one since. I would get her groomer to do it monthly.

babymomma
January 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Remember 2 things. First, keep telling yourself that "I can do this." Second, hair grows back!

Our little rescue Tipper was so fearful and we believed she was abused at a groomer, so we decided to groom her ourselves. Our best resource was Scottish Terrier rescue groups. I got great information and met a couple of wonderful folks online. The first few haircuts were not perfect, but we learned and she was very comfortable with us doing the work (hubby clipped, I held, treated and brushed).

The best advice is to get really good clippers. Ours are Andis model AG. We also got a few blades, but Scotties need 2-3 different blades. Also, get some good scissors (barber or grooming). These will make all the difference. One of the best thing with us grooming our dog was that we could adjust the line for her skirt and furnishings to show Tipper at her best. She was heavy and very wide in the shoulders. Most Scotties coming from groomers wear a "hula skirt" and the line is straight. The dog's aren't always groomed for their body type.

We now have excellent, professional equipment that we can use to groom our new little girl. It was expensive to buy the equipment, but our cost per grooming goes down with each hair cut. I can't imagine not having Scotties, so our setup is well worth the investment. Good luck! You can do it!:thumbs up

Thanks for the advice and enccouragment scottiedog!:thumbs up I'm going to look up some different yorkie cuts and see which ones I like and are easy..lol

babymomma
January 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Well, I went to wally world (wal-mart) today and bought a Thingy that attaches to the tub, to make the shower effect, so bathing her will be easier. Also bought some really good, all natural shampoo. Oatmeal stuff. And some nail clippers, that are accually better quality then I would have thought to be at wal-mart:shrug: I bought grooming siscors , the straight ones and the curved ones, Also great quality, Still cant beleive I found good stuff there... And i bought a Little battery operated clppers. especially for her bum, ears, feet and legs.

Today I, Clipped her feet and legs with the scissors, and It accually turned out quite good. And I Clipped her bum, and plucked the hair from her ears and gave her a bath. And She looks good already. I tried to take pictures of it before and after, butthey turned out HORRIBLE, not even worth posting..lol

binkybuff
January 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM
You can by all means PM me about any questions.

One thing I would suggest tho, don't watch the ones on U tube, get yourself a good video, about Yorkies, their cuts, etc., watch that one several times. You can also get books with grooming tips, I know that Oster used to have them. I have Oster equipment, it is good, but can be on the expensive side. At the time I started it was the only good ones to use.

Also, if your present groomer is a distance from you, ask her to show you, how to help keep your dog in shape for her. Let her believe you will be bringing it back regularily.

One thing to do, is to think about grooming yourself, when you are finished school, since you are only 15, take the grooming course. Maybe even ask your groomer if you could help her out, by bathing and drying dogs on the weekend, or holidays, and she will teach you some tricks in the grooming trade. You have to enjoy dealing with dogs all the time, but expect to be bitten a few times, so make sure your tetnus shots are up to date.

There are places that teach dog grooming, and if you do this, be sure that you get one that has hands on practice, also go for certification, join a grooming association, and even try for your Masters. Not sure if you can get it or not, but there is a reality show coming out, about dog grooming. You might want to watch that. When working with dogs, you are always under some pressure, as to the time, and in a shop, you do more than one dog at a time.

When I groomed, my shop (10years) was in a farming area, and we had a rabid skunk population, so anyone that handled animals, from Vets, AHT's, RCMP, Wild Life officers, and yours truly had to get the prevenatitive Rabies shot. I will tell you, that for the period of the 3 shots over a month, my arm was extremely sore. Teased my clients tho, that I wouldn't give the dogs rabies if they bit me. :laughing:

lUvMyLaB<3
January 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
yup I learned a lot online :). My clippers are whal, and they are quite good. But I prefer to use scissors you can be much more accurate and a mistake with clippers is noticable.. heehee.. My shih tzu lhasa X has A LOT of hair in his ears.. a lot.. you cannot even see any ear. So it needs to come out.. Some dogs don't have much though.. GLAD you did it! I knew it would be ok! and with more practise you will be confident to try more things thats awesome!! YAY!!